• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howzit! Salutations from the land of The Big 5

Do you make your own? If so, you'll find an endless supply of ferule hogs running around Texas. Shooting them is considered a public service.

I always took my meat to a local butcher that knows his stuff and he would then make the biltong/droeewors/boerewors for me.

My grandparents, dad and dad's sister (who had a farm) would slaughter and process their own meat. That meant making and trail testing all kinds of recipes on the day before making the boerewors. I saw ALL the required equipment in Cabelas to make your own, so I will be gracing that place with my presence ..... and monetary means, soon.

I met up with those feral hogs in South Texas while I worked for a short-tempered-six-shooter-carry'n-ten-gallon-cowboy-hat-wear'n-horse-riding-cow-roping farmer. Cant believe how many there are. If I am not mistaken they were let loose waaay back for sports/hunting purposes, but they got out of hand? Makes for nice shooting though.

Last edited:
I always took my meat to a local butcher that knows his stuff and he would then make the biltong/droeewors/boerewors for me.

My grandparents, dad and dad's sister (who had a farm) would slaughter and process their own meat. That meant making and trail testing all kinds of recipes on the day before making the boerewors. I saw ALL the required equipment in Cabelas to make your own, so I will be gracing that place with my presence ..... and monetary means, soon.

I met up with those feral hogs in South Texas while I worked for a short-tempered-six-shooter-carry'n-ten-gallon-cowboy-hat-wear'n-horse-riding-cow-roping farmer. Cant believe how many there are. If I am not mistaken they were let loose waaay back for sports/hunting purposes, but they got out of hand? Makes for nice shooting though.

Now legal from the air...https://www.helibacon.com/texas-helicopter-hog-hunting/

Die groot vraag is—-praat jy die Taal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is , like when do you arrive, where are you moving to and kan jy bier drink.

Andre

About the bike importation, when I came waaaaay back in 1992, It cost me $2000 to import my Harley back to the US. Had to go pick it up in Los Angeles. Then the California Highway Patrol confiscated it because they could not verify the VIN from the factory. Took me 3 months to get my bike back. All disassembled to find numbers.

I would seriously advise against the whole exercise. Sell it there, you will get more for it in SA than its worth here. But then you Vrystaters are hardekop anyway but thats my advice.

Andre

The question is , like when do you arrive, where are you moving to and kan jy bier drink.

Andre

1 - Hopefully within a month or 3
2 - Plano, Dallas
3 - Die vraag is, het julle genoeg? (see attached pic for my favorite US beer/ale so far)

About the bike importation, when I came waaaaay back in 1992, It cost me $2000 to import my Harley back to the US. Had to go pick it up in Los Angeles. Then the California Highway Patrol confiscated it because they could not verify the VIN from the factory. Took me 3 months to get my bike back. All disassembled to find numbers.

I would seriously advise against the whole exercise. Sell it there, you will get more for it in SA than its worth here. But then you Vrystaters are hardekop anyway but thats my advice.

Andre

Ja, seems like everybody is advising against it. Will just keep it simple and sell it here. ****, the 2nd 1150 GSA I have to let go :argh:

Hey, us Freestaters also have mothers you know.

Attachments

• Revolver Blood & Honey label S.jpg
    Revolver Blood & Honey label S.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Now that looks like some good fun with your clothes on!

Strom - I see you are in George West. I worked on a farm there for a short while early 2003. Is the place still standing?? Haha, I caused a mini local power outage one day - was mowing the farmer's land at the 37 & 59 intersection. It was late afternoon, hot as heck, sun was in my eyes, getting kinda drowzy - turned the tractor around for another pass, went too wide and hooked the anchor cable of the electrical overhead's pole. The overhead wires swang, jiggled and touched....BOOM! No power for a few hours. I went home and the boss told me they have been without electricity for while......:giveup:

Last edited:
I look forward to having you in the area. I've spent a bit of time on the wilddog site you told us about and found it entertaining. I'm currently working through Mr Zog's Life in America thread. It's good to see an outsiders view of the place and he points out things that we pretty much take for granted. I have appreciated his ethic and attitude. I hope you have a great experience with your new adventure as well.

Thanks Crew, much appreciated. Looking forward to eventually getting there and buying a bike.

Yes, Wilddogs is a good forum - many guys in the know regarding bikes, although it suffers from the normal online forum niggles here and there. Zog is a hard worker and a never-say-die kinda guy. He is liking Florida a lot and I hope to meet up with him over there some day. I find my wife's views and experiences of, and in South-Africa just as amusing. Although you guys have higher temps and humidity in Texas, she struggled with the heat here as we dont have central cooling and well insulated houses like you. The mozzies were eating her up as we sleep with open windows - I had to buy all kinds of mozzie zappers and repellent as I was getting tired of being woken up during the night in order to kill the "flying dinosaurs" :lol2:

Last edited:
Now that looks like some good fun with your clothes on!

Strom - I see you are in George West. I worked on a farm there for a short while early 2003. Is the place still standing?? Haha, I caused a mini local power outage one day - was mowing the farmer's land at the 37 & 59 intersection. It was late afternoon, hot as heck, sun was in my eyes, getting kinda drowzy - turned the tractor around for another pass, went too wide and hooked the anchor cable of the electrical overhead's pole. The overhead wires swang, jiggled and touched....BOOM! No power for a few hours. I went home and the boss told me they have been without electricity for while......:giveup:

Funny you mention electricity. After 2008 the eagle-ford shale production arrived and like a light switch, the place lit up. There are truck stops on all 4 corners of interstate 37 and highway 59 now.

Those tail wheels on shreaders really stick out. Hard to judge when doing u turns. Have taken out a water line before.

I have probably been out on some of that land you speak of putting out pasture fires.

Nothing going on here lately?

A bunch of us old farts are riding to the Dallas motorcycle show tomorrow. On our noisy Harleys. Hehehehe.

I live in Fort Worth which is kinda close to where you are moving to.
I do make my own boeries en biltong too. Hang them inside a flyscreen in the garage . And once in a while I get a bottle of Moses in die mandjie or Klipdrif from a traveler returning.
My son and I are fixin (Texas word) to go to SA next year to see all the family and might rent bikes, depending on the price, to ride Namibia and Botswana.
we'll see.

Nothing going on here lately?

A bunch of us old farts are riding to the Dallas motorcycle show tomorrow. On our noisy Harleys. Hehehehe.

I live in Fort Worth which is kinda close to where you are moving to.
I do make my own boeries en biltong too. Hang them inside a flyscreen in the garage . And once in a while I get a bottle of Moses in die mandjie or Klipdrif from a traveler returning.
My son and I are fixin (Texas word) to go to SA next year to see all the family and might rent bikes, depending on the price, to ride Namibia and Botswana.
we'll see.

That SA/Namib/Bots trip will be awesome - I guess you will be renting GS bikes?:rider: We are attending the annual Clarens Beer Festival end of this month - hitting the road with my bike and meeting up with my cuzz and a good buddy of ours. Will post some pics for ya.

And I keep forgetting, being old and weak an feeble, there is the Texas Potjiekos festival in Conroe http://texaspotjie.com/texas-potjie-festival-2/upcoming-potjie-festival-2/#location
every year and several hundred boere show up there.
Wors and biltong, koeksisters and melktert and potjie kos en elke ding. A must attend .

Sa-weet! That looks like a lekker jol to get to - will most definitely keep that one in mind once I am there, thanks for the mention :eat:

Howzit, John! Welcome.

I'd advise to sell your GS there and get another one here. It'll be a pain in the *** exporting the GS from SA because of carnet, etc. And besides, keep a bike there for when you visit ;) That's what I did when I moved from India recently, left my DR650 there, need a bike to ride when I visit :mrgreen:

I travelled through your marvelous country back in 2013, towards the end of a long overland trip.

Coming in from Namibia:
i-hpkTQPz-M.jpg

See you on the road when you get here. I'm up in Dallas often. Cheers!

Thanks Jammin,

Seems like I will sell the girl and get a new one that side.

Namibia is a beautiful place, in a desert sort of way :rider:

Back