• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Different age bike than original, so different issues - need parts

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 1999 DR650. Its had some work done to it, and there are some things... I am really thinking of changing back. Also, already encountered an issue with it, and need some assistance in locating parts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! So, here's what I'm looking for:

Rear brake assembly. - The rear brake went out on my way home from buying, and the seller was an ***** about it. So, I think its the caliper, but I figure I might as well replace the whole thing while I am in there.

Speedo and cable - it has a vapor digital display on it... And it isn't working, other than draining the battery. I don't know if it just isn't hooked up right, or what... I would rather have a plain old Speedo and cable. I know that works better than the digital. I might even consider trading the vapor for a Speedo. It powers up, And what not. Its just not showing speed, rpm, it anything like that

Battery tender - its got the hookups for one, I just don't possess a tender

Any body screws - there are a lot of non-factory fasteners on this for body panels and cargo racks. Looking to get it back to clean and proper looking... Not looking like who done it and ran.

Used tires - trying to get some tires on it that aren't dirt bike tires so I can feel confident running. Had Kazoo 3's on my last one, and loved them. Looking for comparable tires. 90/90-21 front, and stock is 120/90-17 rear... Looking to go more 130/80 or 140/70, if someone has anything comparable to a Kazoo 3... Or even a set of Karoo, if that works. This way I can at least ride it until I save up for some brand new ones

Thank you, everyone!!

Overall, it seems like its still a good

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thank you, that'd be awesome. Right now, the ones that are on there aren't inspiring confidence for road riding

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Just an idea - take the screws/fasteners out and go to a GOOD hardware store. Nice stainless cap screws, bolts, etc. with proper washers will put things back "right" and you can match em properly. Good luck with your DR. I had one for several years and it was a good reliable fun ride.

I bought a KLX with a Vapor, and the backup battery was dead. You can put in a new battery and afterward download the manual to see how to set it up. That is all it took, and good as new for me, at least.
Link:
http://www.trailtech.net/instructions
The Vapor comes on automatically when I roll the bike, but goes off after a short time whether the ignition is on or not. I have never run down the battery because of the Vapor. I usually keep a Battery Tender on my bikes, so that may help, but the draw of the Vapor shouldn't be enough to quickly pull down a battery that is healthy.

Good luck with the 650. I borrowed one to test, and decided on a 400 due to weight. It is a good solid machine.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Got the brakes figured out, the Vapor is now working well thanks to Tossing Lead. A Big thanks to jetdr21 for the tires, and pointing me in The direction of Tossing Lead!

So, now I’m trying to find some auxiliary brackets to mount some lights on the front of the bike. I know I can get them from procycle, the shipping from them is just ridiculous. If anyone has a set of brackets for the DR650 that either mount to where the reflectors would go, or the single that mounts between the front fender and headlight for a reasonable price, it would be greatly appreciated. I figured it was worth asking on here before I had to go down the road with Procycle.

Also, I have to sit down and count teeth on the gears, but does anyone have a stock rear gear that they’d be willing to part with? I think that the previous owner swapped out both gears, and I would like to gear it just a touch closer to stock. Not completely... but yeah. Thanks in advance for all help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning on mostly on road riding or a good mix of on/off? Stock gearing is best for on road esp if you do much above 65 mph. Going down one on the front is great for lots of mixed riding or ma6be lots of riding at 60 and under. I tried both and much preferred stock gearing, but I rode mine mostly on road and often above 60.
I had some DR stuff but it went in the trash a couple years ago.

I have an XR and went down 1 tooth in the front and up 3 in the back.

It made riding at 60, while doable, very uncomfortable.
Feels like I'm buzzing the motor.
Fuel economy went way down.

But she's a freak on the trails and hills

I don’t know what the front gear count is, I have to pull the cover and check. I know the rear isn’t stock, that’s for darned sure. As far as gearing, I would just like it to be a little bit lower than stock. Taking her into trails, she feels like a torque filled beast. On the highways going to work, I’m hitting almost 5 k at 65 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help ...

Gear_Ratio.jpg

I'm at 14/48 on the XR. Stock was 15/45.
So I moved from a 3.00 to a 3.43 final ratio.

Awesome ...

But this thread has evolved and should probably be in the Bike Maintenance section ... at least a portion of it.

Not many would think to search the "For Sale" section for bike gearing info.
Good info and insight here that would be a shame to lose.

A mod will be along soon, split it and move it with a pointer.

Back