• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GoldWing tire

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Slonaker
I might be in the wrong spot here...sorry if I am...but a while back, I asked for some advice on repairing a tire that picked up a small screw on a rear GoldWing tire. Got alot of responses and I thank everyone for all the advice. I didnt feel all that warm and fuzzy doing it myself so I took it to Discount Tire and asked them if they would fix it. At first, they said no, but whenI questioned WHY NOT...they said that they would patch it like they do car tires if I would sign a disclaimer. I asked how is that and they said that they would put a rubber plug in it so that water would not get into the plys and then they put a hot patch on the inside. It looks great to me, so I am going to give it a try. I wouldnt be so picky about this tire except that it has less than 1000 miles on it and I just dont see or understand the reasoning on patching a motorcycle tire. This is a Dunlop Elete 3 tire and I am getting close to needing to put on new tires again and this puppy is going on the scooter. I will just buy another front tire and be done with it. I understand that you would probably need to see the tire, but generally speaking...do you guys think that the tire is going to be ok with a rubber plug in the hole and a hot patch on the inside? I run more highway than city streets, but I dont really want to end up as a greasie spot on the pavement either. Thanks for all the help.

My personal opinion is that any patch/plug is only a temporary solution.

With that said I have known people who run patched/plugged tires on their vehicles for years. I would be weary of one on the back of a Wing for sure though, that is a heavy bike, and I'm sure the tire generates some serious heat when running at highway speeds.

Are you saying you are going to put the slightly worn tire on a scooter? I personally would NOT do it, tires are just too cheap to mess with the chance of a blowout, especially when you've only got 2 keeping your butt connected to the road.

and I'll weigh in on the other side... I've never had a single problem with a patched or plugged tire.

and I'll weigh in on the other side... I've never had a single problem with a patched or plugged tire.

Me too. Last tire I put on the Intruder 1500 that I had picked up a nail in the rear with only 1,000 miles on it. I plugged it with the strips with rubber cement and put another 6,000 miles on it before selling the bike. That's my experience. Front tire I might just take more seriously and get a new one since a flat front is more catastrophic than the rear.

Edit: BTW I have never had a flat on a front. Always the rear. :shrug:

Last edited:
Same here, plug it and ride, if there's a problem with the plug, I replug and continue to ride.

I would not use the 2 piece patch/plug, but instead I would use a 1 piece version. We used these in semi truck tires with no failures reported.

The hole is reamed to just under the size of the plug portion, usually just under 1/4", the interior of the tire is scuffed up like a normal patch. Apply the cement and let it dry in on the scuffed portion. Put a small amount of cement on the "shoulder" of the plug and install it from the inside out. Stitch the patch. I would not use a "hot patch" as today's vulcanizing cements seal better than hot patches.

200912121161174972.jpg

Here's the answer you were looking for..........Don't ever worry about a flat again on the rear..........The Secret is called become a "DarkSider"
For the past 5 years I've been running a Dunlop RunFlat Car Tire on my 1800 Wing.....That's right, a "Car Tire"....I normally get around 20-23k miles on the rear with absolutely no down side to running them.........
Don't believe me,....Read this......
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html
wingreartire.jpg

Car tires work amazingly well. And that 20 to 30 K miles is a major plus.

Just my opinion YMMV

Well...one thing I will not do is put a car tire on my wing. It might be ok for some, but it isnt something that I want to do. I have seen a few Wings around here running car tires and none of the guys that I talked to were all that thrilled over it. As for the heat generated in a motorcycle tire...I really dont see anymore heat in a motorcycle tire than I do in a car tire...patched or not. I have had several friends tell me that they have run patched tires almost to the cord with no problems...and others here on TWT have run or are running tires with a patch and no issues. I am going to mount the tire on my wing and go ride it. My gut feeling is that it will be just fine.

Supplier / Manufacture?
THX

I would not use the 2 piece patch/plug, but instead I would use a 1 piece version. We used these in semi truck tires with no failures reported.

The hole is reamed to just under the size of the plug portion, usually just under 1/4", the interior of the tire is scuffed up like a normal patch. Apply the cement and let it dry in on the scuffed portion. Put a small amount of cement on the "shoulder" of the plug and install it from the inside out. Stitch the patch. I would not use a "hot patch" as today's vulcanizing cements seal better than hot patches.

200912121161174972.jpg

Let me see.......How's that saying go?......
Oh Yea!...."You can lead them to water, but you can't make them Drink"

:giveup:

Yep

I got really tired of replacing the rear tire every 3 months.
maybe I just ride too many miles. :rider:

Naw :lol2::rofl:

Here is a link to the one I usually use.

Pach plugs

They always have worked for me.

Normal disclaimer Blagh blagh YMMV yadda yadda

Back