• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where am I? (Can you place this picture...?)

I have no idea. I saw them last weekend, but we were with a group so didin't stop.

2-4.jpg

1-6.jpg

Not much here any more, just the ruins of a jail and what's left of the original county courthouse (it used to be two stories). It was the county seat until it lost an election in the 1950s and then it quickly dwindled away to nothing.

This is how the courthouse looked until it caught fire and the second floor was destroyed.

CountyCourthouseTXDoT1939.jpg

That's it Scott, Clairmont, lost a county seat election to Jayton and dried up over the next 50 years. If you look at mapquest it still shows streets, but there's nothing on them.

Yep. That place is dried up. It was on my way home (sort of) from my friends place in Matador.

TexTom and I are out at the moment. Will post where we were when home. Great music, beautiful day, good friends is all I'm saying..... And we're both 'somebody' because we're here. :smile:

Here's the technical name of the one in High Hill from the sign out front...
1109320633_ExyJJ-L.jpg

Not to digress but I just ran across this article in the Fount of All Knowledge, The Fayette Country Record. The full name of St. Mary's in High Hill is "Navitiy of Mary, Blessed Virgin Catholic Church." Gotta keep those St Mary's separated. Not sure the possessive, St Mary's, is proper. Look for the upcoming article on the painted churches in Texas Highways.

the only place I know a cow that big is the Southwest Dairy farmer's in Sulphur Springs

The big catfish is in a city park in central Texas. Riders attending the Hico Pie Run from Austin or San Antonio passed through it.

:mrgreen:

How about another easy one...
I would've nabbed that one had I not been on the road, I was like ":eek2:I know it, I know it!!":rofl: Palestine is my dad's hometown, my grandfolks lived on Magnolia, we'd walk to the Dairy Queen for milkshakes and then walk downtown and watch the trains for hours. Good times!!:sun:

Back