• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

toll tag?

I can always look it up online. At least here, if doesn't read, they bill you by your license plate. It appears correctly on my bill complete with 10% discount for having a tag. We have a completely cashless system as of a couple of years ago. The formerly manned booths sit empty.

My tag sits on my desk. *shrug*

I've always gotten billed correctly.

Since my account is maxed out on tags I am forced to share this one. I only very occasionally ride Renee's bike to work. :yawn:

Maxed out? Switch to NTTA, they don't have a limit on number of tags, and they have full reciprocity with TXtag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TexTag told me I can add my bikes to a single account covered by the truck. No limit? They would tap the trucks tag for my bikes tolls, I think they would be charging full price as it was not stated that I would get a multi vehicle discount. :trust:

I carry my txtag in my jacket pocket. Reads everytime. You guys give the toll people way too much credit. If they read a tag, they charge it. It's up to you to dispute charges on your account that aren't yours. Point being, moving the tag between bikes won't be noticed until someone complains or it doesn't read and they try to read the plate.

The ones here in Colorado are smaller for both cars and bikes.

Colorado bike sticker
IMG_0374.JPG

Colorado car sticker, about 5/8" x 1 1/4"
IMG_0375.JPG

The Oklahoma sticker is the same size as the TxTag sticker
IMG_0376.JPG

My truck has a tag. I added both of my motorcycles to the account via the TXTag website. I didn't purchase tags for the bikes so the bikes don't have tags. When I do ride the toll it charges my account since the readers pick up the plate.

I would think if someone is riding with a tag associated to another vehicle then you'd get tagged twice: once for the tag and once for the plate reader (both veh's get charged even though you're on only one). I'd check to make sure they aren't double charging you.

I carry my txtag in my jacket pocket. Reads everytime. You guys give the toll people way too much credit. If they read a tag, they charge it. It's up to you to dispute charges on your account that aren't yours. Point being, moving the tag between bikes won't be noticed until someone complains or it doesn't read and they try to read the plate.

Well, first, it's not like it's people reading the tags. In the old days, before the cashless system, if you went through and the tag didn't read, and you didn't have a tag associated to that vehicle, then you'd get the fine. That was a HUGE downside to using a tag across multiple vehicles. The system is pretty good at knowing a vehicle is there and seeing the tolltag and not looking for the plate, but you run the risk of it wigging out and doing both. If the plate number hits the DB and sees the tag at the same time, it should work out. If the plate number is not associated with the tag, it could result in you paying double.

just looked at my history and the system shows my car but not a single thing for the bike. no tag or plate.

I have seen the flash from the camera, so when I don't dodge the induction loop I am setting it off.

back before getting the tags I have done multiple passes through the George Bush toll way both on bikes and in cars and have never been billed while on a motorcycle.

Don't need no stinkin' toll tag cause I don't ride on no stinkin' toll roads!

Long live the back roads cause I don't care long it takes to get there!

heh-heh :rider:

I have seen the flash from the camera, so when I don't dodge the induction loop I am setting it off.

back before getting the tags I have done multiple passes through the George Bush toll way both on bikes and in cars and have never been billed while on a motorcycle.

Pretty sure that loophole has been closed by now, unless your plate is mounted out of the camera's view.

Both the transponders (RF?) and the wires in the roadway that trigger the license plate cameras can be tuned to detect a squirrel on a skateboard -- and they ultimately all will be since money is riding on it.

If you are currently slipping through the billing cracks, enjoy it while it lasts.

Pretty sure that loophole has been closed by now, unless your plate is mounted out of the camera's view.

not closed or something, my plate is mounted to the stock location and I see the flash go off. tag is mounted at the bottom of the windscreen on the bike.

My plate is mounted strategically, the light goes off, no one is home..... Perfectly in legal view of LEO's... Even had a Dallas PD brake check, slow, and roll on me from behind last night with no ill effect.

I want to get a tag for my two cars and one for the bike but.... No one here has mentioned how much the tags cost?? If I have to put down a deposit or some none sense I will just pay the bill as it comes in.

I want to get a tag for my two cars and one for the bike but.... No one here has mentioned how much the tags cost?? If I have to put down a deposit or some none sense I will just pay the bill as it comes in.

You have to keep a minimum balance on the tag (to keep transaction costs down) and every time it drops below a certain amount, it recharges your account.

The only deposit I'm aware of is for the old style plastic boxes.

If you use the toll roads even semi-regularly, it makes financial sense to go with the tag, IMO.

I think to start is $40, and it recharges when you hit $10.

the sticker tags are free, the hard case tag has a $25 security deposit and the license plate frame tag has a $37.50 deposit. they both are free if you do have your account set up for automatic replenishment.

you don't have to give them control of your credit card or bank account. I didn't, I have it where if by balance drops below $10 they E-mail me and I add more money to it.

for a full trip on the CTP (Chisolm Trail Parkway) having a toll tag saves you $2.46 over zip cash.

I carry mine on my person as I change the bikes up so much throughout the year. It's hit or miss on whether it gets read. Interestingly, when I went to Bikes, Blues and BBQ I crossed OK and never got charged on an automated tollway while carrying a TX tag.

I carry mine on my person as I change the bikes up so much throughout the year. It's hit or miss on whether it gets read. Interestingly, when I went to Bikes, Blues and BBQ I crossed OK and never got charged on an automated tollway while carrying a TX tag.

Tex Tags are linked to the vehicle license plate. If you move the box from bike to bike, then one of them shouldn't be charged to the tag--you should receive a bill.

I think tags are free...been several years since I ordered mine. The deposit is $40 but then they want the account info so they can auto draft when your balance falls below $10. Now all of this is for 1-3 vehicles. I believe 4 or more then the "deposit" raises to $80 or some nonsense.

I am no expert on this as I rarely use the toll roads anymore and when I do, I don't bother with checking to make sure they scanned my plates or tags. If they miss me, darn they missed me and don't get their $1.20 in tolls for the route I take.

I have the motorcycle box tag thingy. I carry it in my jacket pocket. Seems to pick it up about 25% of the time and I never get charged based on my plate. Very strange, but I am doing my part. I can't help it if their system is missing me.

I have the motorcycle box tag thingy. I carry it in my jacket pocket. Seems to pick it up about 25% of the time and I never get charged based on my plate. Very strange, but I am doing my part. I can't help it if their system is missing me.

I have the sticker tag on my windshield yet it has yet to pick up my bike, they just connect the plate to the tag and charge you the tag price.

there is a tag store over on Hulen in Fort Worth I need to get by there and talk to them about it.

Back