• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride turns epic ... The wrong way

That kind of clay is no fun on my 200lb dirt bike much less a 600lb beast of an adventure bike.

Spray/wash it down real good with some Salt Terminator or SaltX. It's the stuff you run thru a boat or jetski before and after riding in salt water. Just rinsing or washing with fresh water alone might not be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten years from now, that bike is going to have a lot of electrical and corrosion problems.

Blah. Hearsay your honor, and speculation.

f2649592608af1eb89edcf658ef732f6.jpg

Bike looked well maintained to me and was merely adventurized yesterday. It's going to BMW for service anyway according to the PO, so it should be fine. We don't always have to look for the worst here do we? It cranked right up and rode out with no issue, after some TLC, I'm sure it will be ready for the next adventure. Dern things are near bulletproof with proper maintenance from what I've seen.

You da man, Hellwig! :clap: :sun:
He is! He was the one coming through and driving out on the beach on the shortest notice possible.

Thank you again! If you are in Houston next time, ring me up. The beer (or any other adult beverage of your choice) are on me.

This was a great read - and a great ending! (I still say we could pull anything out of anywhere with grit, determination and two TW200s :lol:)

Hellwig = Proper Gentleman

You got good things coming you way.

About a month ago a buddy broke a belt on his Duc and ruined some valve train parts. He does his own work, so he broke it down and the head needed some machining and one new valve was needed. Myself and couple of other chipped in and surprised him with the funds to fix his bike. He has bent over backwards to help all of us out in the past, so it was just a gesture of good faith. That weekend I went for a ride up around Lake Livingston. When I got home and pulled into the garage, I heard my phone ringing in my pocket. I answer it and some kid in New Caney is on the line and tells me he found my wallet in the middle of the intersection of Hwy59 and 1485. He dug out my businees card and called me to give it back to me. I was shocked. I gave the kid the cash that I had in it, about $50, and could not thank him enough. I thought of the gesture I had made earleir that week to my buddy with the broke bike. Kharma, it works.

Well done all that helped..

To the OP..
Please, read and then research, don't just listen to "Some Guy on the Internet" but I'll suggest you listen to some guy on the internet that has been 4 wheeling, racing said 4wd Vehicles in the US, Australia and Malaysia for a lot of years .. Couple that with a ton of off road bike experiences and 30 years of military vehicle attempted destruction (errrr....I mean use by 18-25 year old infantrymen)

"washing" the bike is not enough... You have sand, dirt and salt water in places you can not imagine and you will not otherwise find until components start failing.

The Gold standard is, completely disassemble the bike, every component, fastener, connection, flush with the appropriate cleaner/ lube and then reassemble.

Anything else and you will find corrosion / failed components down the road. Perhaps minor like a seat bolt, perhaps major like a CAN BUS connection.

If that is more then you can (can afford) do what you can... anything is better than nothing.. the spray off is good.... but lacking on totality.

Glad to hear you recovered it both from Mother Earth and the hands of thieves.. Actually im more impressed it was there at all when you returned than anything else.

Last edited:
"washing" the bike is not enough... You have sand, dirt and salt water in places you can not imagine and you will not otherwise find until components start failing.

The Gold standard is, completely disassemble the bike, every component, fastener, connection, flush with the appropriate cleaner/ lube and then reassemble.

Anything else and you will find corrosion / failed components down the road. Perhaps minor like a seat bolt, perhaps major like a CAN BUS connection.

If that is more then you can (can afford) do what you can... anything is better than nothing.. the spray off is good.... but lacking on totality.

Glad to hear you recovered it both from Mother Earth and the hands of thieves.. Actually im more impressed it was there at all when you returned than anything else.

I am fully aware that I have work cut out for myself.

At this juncture I have to/ want to say something that I just had to realize. TWT and its members where nothing but helpful. And interestingly enough once it was clear the underground was clay there were no idiots still claiming they could have ridden the bike out. On another unnamed forum, the majority of the users seem to thrive on moronic comments and at the same time even after it was clear that it was/is clay insisted on being able to ride that bike and any other bike out. The difference in knowledge and understanding is so crass that I am asking myself why this forum is so much better.

Anyway after 600+k miles miles on motorcycles I don't have the stamina to discuss this with folks nary being able to ride a bike, much less have decent experience.

Now lets have fun at my expense by telling me How stupid I was. So far I have have come up with

-) should not gone there because I am physically unable to walk back
-) Should not have gone there because of the first and no cell signal
-) should have checked the tide table.

Did I miss anything?

Did I miss anything?

nonsense, just have a plan.. shelter in place easy enough this time of year with as little as a tarp and some drinking water. Or have a "rescue" pre set up if contact is not made in XX hours.
Should not have gone there because of the first and no cell signal

Pfffft,, you can not find out if there is no single till you go there.. see point one as well.

Ok well yes, this one resonates.. anytime your dealing with tides directly or up water from them (coastal creeks / water ways)

We learn and grown from our experiences.. good and bad..

No autopsy, no foul .

...On another unnamed forum, the majority of the users seem to thrive on moronic comments and at the same time even after it was clear that it was/is clay insisted on being able to ride that bike and any other bike out. The difference in knowledge and understanding is so crass that I am asking myself why this forum is so much better.

The answer why is very obvious. Median age on motohouston.com is probably ~ 25 years old, 80% of which ride sportsbikes and many like to do track days. The median age on TWT is more like 45 years old with a broader spectrum of bike types, riding and experience. TWT filters posts more towards family orientation and is heavily Christian centric.

But to be fair your rescue help came to you because of your thread started on the other forum. I admit seeing your photos on that thread and "stuck" and thought it was funny (I laugh at myself in the mud also). I emailed friends that link jokingly and just so happens one was off work that day, available to come help you and a TWT member. I did see your post later that day on TWT but it was MH that got the ball rolling.

Now lets have fun at my expense by telling me How stupid I was...Did I miss anything?

You knew the risks going in and decided to continue anyway. Nothing wrong with that. There is always more reasons not to do something than reasons to do it. You cannot protect yourself against everything, there is always risk and for many that is part of the adventure. Unexpected can be fun, enjoy life! Never slow down, never grow old!

_

After spending nearly 6 hours by the side of a trail in Big Bend once I realized, that's why they call this Adventure Riding.

:-)

The answer why is very obvious. Median age on motohouston.com is probably ~ 25 years old, 80% of which ride sportsbikes and many like to do track days.

Something I did not know. And there is nothing bad with that per se. I guess I am getting too old for nonsense "I could have done that" statements.

The median age on TWT is more like 45 years old with a broader spectrum of bike types, riding and experience. TWT filters posts more towards family orientation and is heavily Christian centric.

But to be fair your rescue help came to you because of your thread started on the other forum. I admit seeing your photos on that thread and "stuck" and thought it was funny (I laugh at myself in the mud also). I emailed friends that link jokingly and just so happens one was off work that day, available to come help you and a TWT member. I did see your post later that day on TWT but it was MH that got the ball rolling.

Ok, that raises the question: Do you know who the friendly gentleman in the red truck was? The one that just "happened to drive along there" and also "just happened to have a winch with him?" I would really love to say my thanks in a proper way.

And here are some more pics just before I was rescued with a winch.

fa4be7f2dd079402ee55eeeb297be45d.jpg

And the whole the bike was in after it was up on dry land.

c4aab32fa395f1cbbc90e8a1c48ba504.jpg

Even a friendly game warden was there. Sorry about the perspective of that last shot. I now realize it doesn't show the predicament really well, At that point I was just happy to get going.

Last edited:
Something I did not know. And there is nothing bad with that per se. I guess I am getting too old for nonsense "I could have done that" statements.

Case in point your thread on that forum now has a photo of topless female mud wrestlers. Nothing wrong with that in my book but definitely not TWT material. Oops maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, now MH page views will go up by a hundred count today, haha

Ok, that raises the question: Do you know who the friendly gentleman in the red truck was? The one that just "happened to drive along there" and also "just happened to have a winch with him?" I would really love to say my thanks in a proper way.

No I don't, that was just your random good samaritan. Even though your dispatched help was only minutes away still nice to have that happen. Did either you, your wife or Hellwig get a plate number?

_

It appears he is looking at your license plate with book in hand ready to write you a ticket. Wouldn't that have been the cherry on top for your adventure?

_

I am fully aware that I have work cut out for myself.

At this juncture I have to/ want to say something that I just had to realize. TWT and its members where nothing but helpful. And interestingly enough once it was clear the underground was clay there were no idiots still claiming they could have ridden the bike out. On another unnamed forum, the majority of the users seem to thrive on moronic comments and at the same time even after it was clear that it was/is clay insisted on being able to ride that bike and any other bike out. The difference in knowledge and understanding is so crass that I am asking myself why this forum is so much better.

Anyway after 600+k miles miles on motorcycles I don't have the stamina to discuss this with folks nary being able to ride a bike, much less have decent experience.

Now lets have fun at my expense by telling me How stupid I was. So far I have have come up with

Did I miss anything?

Posted on MH? :giveup:

Don't take the ribbin' personal. There are some great people and better riders on that forum as well. It's what makes the world turn they say.

Posted on MH? :giveup:

Don't take the ribbin' personal. There are some great people and better riders on that forum as well. It's what makes the world turn they say.

No, I did not post that on MH. I have better things to do with my time than to talk to some of the armchair quarterbacks who have not been alive yet when I had my first 100k and 10 years on motorcycles. That may be a snobby attitude, but my time is precious and I tend not to waste it is I can.

Ribbing I can deal with. I was an idiot in that case. Its the people that judge from the picture without having ever left the pavement they would have been able to handle the situation.

It appears he is looking at your license plate with book in hand ready to write you a ticket. Wouldn't that have been the cherry on top for your adventure?

_

Actually I asked if I am in for a ticket. At that point he smiled and only shook his head. Maybe if I would have lost oil or anything like that it would have been different. I can only say the game warden was nothing but helpful as much as he was allowed to.

No, I did not post that on MH. I have better things to do with my time than to talk to some of the armchair quarterbacks who have not been alive yet when I had my first 100k and 10 years on motorcycles. That may be a snobby attitude, but my time is precious and I tend not to waste it is I can.

Ribbing I can deal with. I was an idiot in that case. Its the people that judge from the picture without having ever left the pavement they would have been able to handle the situation.

You didn't post this?

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295570

OK, sounds like you have it under control with ribbin' part. Just need to relax a little and you will be fine.

One of the guys on MH who was saying they could have gotten the bike out, is a steroid popping, gym monster who might have been able to pick up the whole bike and walk away with it.

Okay, that's a SLIGHT exaggeration, but not by much. Point is, you really didn't know who you were getting all snippy with. Best thing you can do is join in the fun and not take it so seriously.

One of the guys on MH who was saying they could have gotten the bike out, is a steroid popping, gym monster who might have been able to pick up the whole bike and walk away with it.

Okay, that's a SLIGHT exaggeration, but not by much. Point is, you really didn't know who you were getting all snippy with. Best thing you can do is join in the fun and not take it so seriously.

That might very well be the case that he is is ultra strong. Point being though is that I offered them more than once to put THEIR bike where their big mouth is. Really I don;t care who somebody is or is not. and what their status in society is or is not. I could care less. The general 'feeling' of MH is more like a Kindergarten where everyone claims they can pee farther than the next guy. As I said I am just too old for this. If I see someone in trouble I try to help if I can and not state stupid things like "This bike is not stuck" or "I could have ridden this bike out" . I mean I do not do that in a thread where someone asks for help, period. Because I know if push comes to shove I may be asked to put up or shut up. But even that societal lesson seems to be lost on some.

Now if they behave differently in person, then they are what I now have in my sig line on MH "keyboard warriors" or if they are just people who get their share of fun by putting someone else down, I don;t need to be around.

"If you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back". I try to surround myself with people who are an asset to society, not a liability. As a result I have changed my email on MH so that I do not get any emails and changed my sigline to reflect my opinion. Then I deleted the password for the forum from my memory. Life is too short to deal with liabilities all the time. And its not what I call fun.

Thank you for trying to help help though!

Last edited:
Man, you are wound up tight. Do you proof read these post?

Actually most of the time I try to hang loose. In my line of work though I have had way too much exposure to idiots. So I try not to waste time with them. Its just to worth it. I rather go out for dinner with my wife or for a ride on the bike. (After it comes back from the dealer now, until then I guess I am relegated to ride the 250)

Back