• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Austin Beer Mile - 2017

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Rusty and I shot the annual Austin Beer Mile again this past weekend. The race is always held on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. If you're not familiar with the concept of a 'beer mile', everyone lines up at the starting line and has four beers in front of them (no lite beer allowed). The gun goes off, the runners take their first beer, pop it open and chug it, then put the can over their head with the opening down to show it's empty. Then they go run a quarter mile. Upon return, they do the same routine - pop a beer, chug it, over the head and run. Rinse and repeat TWO more times to equal four beers, four quarters or one mile. Oh, puke on the run? Penalty lap but not a penalty beer.

It's a hoot to watch and photograph.

If you want to see the whole gallery of what Rusty and I provided, take a peek http://www.scottstrancephotography.com/Content/Sports/Running/2017-Austin-Beer-Mile/

T-shirt sales benefit a fine cause...
DSC_8829-XL.jpg

Drunk Athlete Podcast did a live show from the event...
DSC_8838-XL.jpg

Lots of different beer tastes for this event...
IMD_9627-XL.jpg

And.... their off!
IMD_9695.jpg

Running...
DSC_8993.jpg

More emptying of beercans...
IMD_9833.jpg

This participant works as a trainer and heard about the event only a few hours before it took place. No time to change. Oh, and he was drinking 9% AVB beer.
DSC_9188.jpg

After every lap he did 10 pushups
IMD_0078.jpg

You can guess where this is going.... (you'll have to peruse the gallery to see the sequence) Note the form. Pointing away to warn others and grabbing the hair to keep it, um.... clean.
DSC_9344.jpg

....and the male/female winners
IMD_0205.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a fun event, but A LOT of work to shoot! Great job!

Thanks all.... yeah, this is a hoot-to-shoot. It's not a horribly hard thing other than white balance with all the shade trees/coverage. Other than that, it happens pretty quickly, so it's not a zillion shots to process. I think I started with 900 or so and got it down to a little over 300. About the same for Rusty if I recall but he started with less than 900.

Put the camera on continuous focus mode, Manual, dial in a shutterspeed of 1/750 and f/stop of about 4.5 and let your ISO float as needed to make the shot. Go fast button is good in short bursts, then when it comes time to cull, just delete any shots where they are landing on a planted leg and only keep the 'air' shots or springing forward from the leg plant. (the leg plant shots move all the skin down and out, show fat, wrinkles and such so they aren't 'good' shots people want to see)

Training for this must be intense.

Well shot, gentlemen!

Back