• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking to borrow piston ring compressor

Reaction score
Hey folks...I'm trying to install a 94mm big bore piston on my drz but I couldn't get the cylinder over the rings. Just wondering if anybody has a piston ring compressor that i could borrow. Located in San Antonio

Hey! I didn't know you were on here. I just do mine on the bike and work in one ring at a time. All you need is a thumb sized "dollop" of oil on the cylinder wall and it should be pretty quick. Make sure the openings are approximately 120 degrees apart around the piston. you will find it is much easier than it seems when you first look at it. Get a hold of E. Marquez (Erik) and he can tell you what you need to do, sir. Good luck, maybe we will bump into each other on a ride some time.

I don’t use ring compressors on the DRZ, I have several types and find it easier to do by hand, also less likely to damage a ring hidden by the ring compressor.
There are two basic methods and both work better the first 128 times you do them with a second person and spare set of hands.
You can put the piston and rings in the cylinder on the bench, then lower the unit to the rod, have a helper hole the assembly up while you get the pin in and then the locks..
Make sure you stuff the motor openings with lint free rags as you WILL drop the pin clip a few times.
If I have a helper I do it this way.
No helper (or better if you do)
Install piston on rod, and lower cylinder into piston.. Using your fingers to compress rings as the bottom tapered part of the cylinder gets to them. Must be careful not to snag a ring where you’re not looking and force the cylinder...bending the ring
The helper’s job is to help hold the weight of the cylinder, help keep it aligned and watch for part of a ring not getting compressed far enough.

I use this method (without the helper) when I don't have a helper. ...but it’s an acquired taste to do it single handed.

Hey! I didn't know you were on here. I just do mine on the bike and work in one ring at a time. All you need is a thumb sized "dollop" of oil on the cylinder wall and it should be pretty quick. Make sure the openings are approximately 120 degrees apart around the piston. you will find it is much easier than it seems when you first look at it. Get a hold of E. Marquez (Erik) and he can tell you what you need to do, sir. Good luck, maybe we will bump into each other on a ride some time.

Last edited:
I have often used cable ties, put a cable tie around the ring and pull it tight, it compresses the ring into the piston grove and then as I lower the barrel onto the piston, it just pushes the cable tie down and eventually the cable tie will drop off the bottom of the piston. Just cut the tie and remove it from the con rod and you are done.. Not as good as a proper ring compressor but cheap and easy.

Gary

Last edited:
I have often used cable ties, put a cable tie around the ring and pull it tight, it compresses the ring into the piston grove and then as I lower the barrel onto the piston, it just pushes the cable tie down and eventually the cable tie will drop off the bottom of the ring. Just cut the tie and remove it from the con rod and you are done.. Not as good as a proper ring compressor but cheap and easy.

Gary

Nice

Do you have to stagger ring gaps like some autos were?

Yes, if it’s a 2 stroke there will be locating pins in the grove, to locate the end of the rings and if it’s a 4 stroke you should offset the ends 90 to 120 degrees apart.

Gary

By the way, I mis-typed it. The dollops of oil go on the piston skirt. I spent about 10 minutes maintaining my perfect 120 degrees apart on all my gaps. What a ****, but, as usual, worth all the trouble. I bought a 50 dollar tool for the clips and ended up snapping them in with a screwdriver, so much for technology.

I purchased a larger hose clamp that has enough of the smooth surface to not scratch up the piston rings. If it works well, it's one helluva value for a piston ring compressor

When I did this without a helper I made a thin wooden holder with a slot wide enough for the rod to go through. With the piston on the rod turn the crank until the skirt rests on the wooden holder. This keeps the piston still and aligned with the cylinder as you lower it and guide the rings in. Almost like having a third hand. Once the piston is in, the holder slides out and you can seat the cylinder.

Last edited:
When I did this without a helper I made a thin wooden holder with a slot wide enough for the rod to go through. With the piston on the rod turn the crank until the skirt rests on the wooden holder. This keeps the piston still and aligned with the cylinder as you lower it and guide the rings in. Almost like having a third hand. Once the piston is in the holder lides out and you can seat the cylinder.

Very nice.

I made something similar out of Kydex..Have not used it in a while so will have to go find it and snap a pic...
But its just a big U shaped piece that supports the piston and has cut outs for the rod and piston skirt on top and a cut out in the bottom for the rod

My cheap piston ring compressor worked but I am having trouble sliding the cylinder down to the base with the motor on the frame. I turned the crank a little to give me more clearance up top and I was able to seat the cylinder on the base but I can't seem to insert the chain guide into the slot on the cylinder. There is something at the base impeding it from sliding in naturally. Is it because I am not at TDC any more?

Back