TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #61
BADTEX

Re: Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, May 26-29, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
I am planning to camp at Spadra Recreation Area & Campground.

I stayed here 3 years ago and said I'll never stay here again. It's 50 yards from the train track and the trains come by about every 2 hours..
Got a hotel after the 2nd night.
BADTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #62
JT
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADTEX View Post
I stayed here 3 years ago and said I'll never stay here again. It's 50 yards from the train track and the trains come by about every 2 hours..
You must be a very light sleeper. Nothing bothers me when I am asleep. I've stayed there twice this spring.
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #63
SilverBullet
Forum Supporter

I see a Corp of Engineers free campsite on the other side of the lake. 10 miles further from Clarksville though.

Cane Creek Recreation Road
Scranton, Arkansas
GPS: 35.388375, -93.502838

https://freecampsites.net/#!48043&query=sitedetails

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #64
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am a light sleeper, and the trains are frequent--and close!
But they only bothered me While we were still up and about the camp site. I slept fine, surprisingly.

The convenient location, the views of the lake, the nice clean bathrooms and showers made staying there worth it to me. But, yeah, be advised; trains in area! (And JT could sleep thru a zombie apocalypse.)

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

"Due to circumstances beyond my control,
I am master of my fate and captain of my soul."

Hemingway's Invictus, with a modern twist

"There's lots of things along the road
I'd surely like to see
I'd like to lean into the wind
And tell myself I'm free"

Townes Van Zandt
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #65
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I think we are in the Hampton Inn, the other hotel was full.

By the way, we are driving from Nashville to Clarksville on Thursday. Won't be in till late, but I am open to some riding on Friday if anybody else is.
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #66
Tailwind

In + 1.
Tailwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #67
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Right on... we are all loaded up about to head to Nashville. Mary is not going to Clarksville with me, so it will just be me, the Husky and the Twin.

FYI weather shows the river is flooding right now and there is rain the entire time we are there, but things change so I am not going to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1968 CT90
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #68
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Who's going to be in Clarksville Thursday evening?

Daniel and I should be arriving around 4-5pm. We're going to be riding my GS in the area on Friday. Friday evening, we'll make our way to toward Kingston on Hwy 21 to Wildernessrider's property to ride dirt bikes Saturday and Sunday.

I was just thinking we might hook up for dinner with anyone that might be in town.

We'll be back in town again on Sunday evening.

Both nights we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on the West end of town.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas

Last edited by Tourmeister; 05-22-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #69
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Who's going to be in Clarksville Thursday evening?

Daniel and I should be arriving around 4-5pm. We're going to be riding my GS in the area on Friday. Friday evening, we'll make our way to toward Kingston on Hwy 21 to Wildernessrider's property to ride dirt bikes Saturday and Sunday.

I was just thinking we might hook up for dinner with anyone that might be in town.

We'll be back in town again on Sunday evening.

Both nights we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on the West end of town.
I won't get there until Friday, but will be at the same hotel as you two. I believe Camilo and Nadeem are there too. So maybe Sunday dinner?

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #70
texxter

I am out - family obligations. Y'all be careful and have fun!
texxter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #71
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I will be at the Holiday Inn Express also coming in Thursday night. The sunset Inn just called me with a room vacancy if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1968 CT90
Old 05-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #72
BADTEX

OK, y'all might think this is funny, I do .... So right around May 1 (a little late in the evening, about 7 or 8) I call Sunset and said " I'm with the motorcycle rally, Blah Blah Blah and I need a room for 4 nights starting Thursday." The man on the other end says "no problem, can I get your # and call you back tomorrow?" ...ok?...sure.? So I wait for a phone call.... 2 days go by and I call back, "Hi I called about a room for 4 nights a couple of days ago?" same guy says "Sure Sure, my wife is taking care of these (bookings) and shes at a kids ball game right now, can she call you back after 7? ...."sure.?" So I wait. No calls and I get busy the next 3 or 4 days until it dawns on me, I haven't confirmed my rooms! So I call back.... "Hi I'm the guy thats waiting on a call to book my room?" Same guy say's "yes, yes, I told you my wife will call you, she has your #, dont worry." .......ok!?!? (hang up). So I let a week, or more, go by. Called last night....He says, "I told you, you have a room, no problem." "I have a room? I thought you were going to call my back?" "Oh no you have a room, no worry's."
So if I show up Thursday night and dont have a room I'm not going to be happy!
BADTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #73
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The Holiday Inn Express has a good bit of room behind the hotel for parking trucks/trailers. There is also a back door right next to a laundry room that leads to that parking area. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was pretty good.

I have been asked about some good street routes for those not doing the DS rides. I have attached four loops, each just over 300 miles, that cover many of the best roads. They are GPX files, so right click and save as. If you leave no later than 9:00am, you should get back before 6:00pm unless you have some kind of prolonged stop other than lunch.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Clarksville to Melbourne.gpx (422.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: gpx Clarksville to Mountain View.gpx (415.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gpx Clarksville to Noel.gpx (388.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gpx Clarksville to Peels Ferry.gpx (384.8 KB, 9 views)

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #74
Goyko

Anybody else going from DFW area that has spot for me and my bike on the trailer? Badtex is not sure about his plan, so he sudgested that I find a back up.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #75
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, y'all might think this is funny, I do .... So right around May 1 (a little late in the evening, about 7 or 8) I call Sunset and said " I'm with the motorcycle rally, Blah Blah Blah and I need a room for 4 nights starting Thursday." The man on the other end says "no problem, can I get your # and call you back tomorrow?" ...ok?...sure.? So I wait for a phone call.... 2 days go by and I call back, "Hi I called about a room for 4 nights a couple of days ago?" same guy says "Sure Sure, my wife is taking care of these (bookings) and shes at a kids ball game right now, can she call you back after 7? ...."sure.?" So I wait. No calls and I get busy the next 3 or 4 days until it dawns on me, I haven't confirmed my rooms! So I call back.... "Hi I'm the guy thats waiting on a call to book my room?" Same guy say's "yes, yes, I told you my wife will call you, she has your #, dont worry." .......ok!?!? (hang up). So I let a week, or more, go by. Called last night....He says, "I told you, you have a room, no problem." "I have a room? I thought you were going to call my back?" "Oh no you have a room, no worry's."
So if I show up Thursday night and dont have a room I'm not going to be happy!

The risk of arriving after a full day of riding and NOT having a room, is not good.

I had a similar experience I reserved about 6 weeks ago and asked for a confirmation email which never arrived. Called back last week and the lady could not find my reservation... she was supposed to call back. Never did.

I reserved at the Holiday Inn and so others in my group.

I liked the location and rate, but certainly do not trust them for their record keeping, in fact she said the are not 'computerized'...

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #76
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
I will be at the Holiday Inn Express also coming in Thursday night. The sunset Inn just called me with a room vacancy if anyone is interested.
Getting in early enough to grab dinner? I still have your cell number. I'll call around 6:00pm-ish...

Quote:

Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #77
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Scott, I think I will but it depends on traffic. I will post when I have a better idea of when I will be in town.
1968 CT90
Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #78
Iceman Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
Wow not sure what is more impressive the water crossing or that side of ham?
The plates on the other side were mine but if I hadn't kept an eye on them I think JT would have chowed down on them! That boy can eat................and he's an animal on the trail!!

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Iceman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #79
Iceman Jack

An FYI...............I just canceled a room at the Holiday Inn for the nights of May 25-28. Good luck. Here's their phone number 497-705-7600. $$$ Be forewarned, they have raised their prices for the weekend.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Iceman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #80
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman Jack View Post
An FYI...............I just canceled a room at the Holiday Inn for the nights of May 25-28. Good luck. Here's their phone number 497-705-7600. $$$ Be forewarned, they have raised their prices for the weekend.
I noticed that when I made my reservations via Expedia. The price shown was $78/night. When I went to actually make the reservations, it was $14 higher than that! (Not including the taxes). Kind of smacks of a bait and switch... I did go ahead and make the reservations though because I still got my rooms for under $100 and for a hotel that nice, I'm okay with that price every now and then.

Quote: