TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Baja No Pinch Tool

I am not big on doing reviews, but I had to share that I LOVE the Baja No Pinch Tire Tool

I purchased this before the Big Bend trip, but haven't needed to use it till just now. All I can say is wow, what a fantastic tool. While getting ready for the AR ride I decided to install a new rear tire on the Husky. This isn't the hardest tire to install, but with the Tubeless system it is a bit more of a pain than normal. The No Pinch made installing the tire a breeze, it really is all that they claim it is.

For anybody who does their own tires, check this little baby out. It doesn't help getting tires off the rim, but it sure helps getting them on.

http://www.bajanopinch.com/
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
kromy67

Re: Baja No Pinch Tool

I have it and used it. It's very helpful. I have tubeless. Tricky to use at the beginning. With a bead buddy the job get done smoothly.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
kromy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

I have changed hundreds of tubes and maybe pinched 3 or 4, I cannot justify $150 for a tool that might save me $20 worth of tubes. Looks nice, but I get great results with 3 tyre levers and they only cost $30 for all 3!! Seems very expensive for what it is and you still have to carry tyre levers to get the tyre off!!

Gary
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I am right there with you, have been changing tires since I was 9 years old, worked in a motorcycle shop as a mechanic back in the 70's and 80's and did many hundreds.

Then I tried this thing last night and feel in love with it.

Its not about not pinching tubes for me, it was ease of use.
1968 CT90
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
Old 05-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
kromy67

Smarter not harder. I used on very hard tubeless tires and without it i would probably would have taken it to a shop or look fir a real macho. I have only changed two motorcycle tires in my almost half coupon life

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromy67 View Post
Smarter not harder...
Proper technique and it won't be hard. If a tire has to be muscled on that is a sign that you're doing it wrong.

I used the BNPT once. After assembling it with the correct adaptor and adjusting it to my wheel, it did not save me time. I haven't used it again in 2-3 years and approx two dozen tire changes since then. It stays unassembled in the box ready to return to owner.

Too bulky and heavy to pack with you. So tire changes on the road will go back to old school method and you'll be out of practice.

It doesn't remove the tire and it doesn't break the bead so you'll still need tools for that.

And then there is the cost.

It does work well though and is high quality construction.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Kind of sorry I started this thread now

Tire with the Tubeless setup are a ***** because the area you need to have the tire drop into is already full with two layers of inner and outer tubes. There isn't much room to use proper technique.

But with many things in life I could be completely wrong.
1968 CT90
Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post

Tire with the Tubeless setup are a ***** because the area you need to have the tire drop into is already full with two layers of inner and outer tubes. There isn't much room to use proper technique.

Don't ever be sorry to post. Always good to hear recommendations and what solutions works for others. But no harm in others posting their different opinion/experience either.

Now that you specifically mention the Tubliss unique problem due to center of rim not available to drop the tire into it makes perfect sense. I've never went Tubliss so didn't know that. Keeping tire in rim center is 80% of technique making tire installs easy.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
tshelfer

Cool idea. Don't know the proper motorcycle tube protocol. But I do 2-3 bicycle tubes a summer. Most important thing I've learned is to slightly inflate the tube before poking it inside the tire, then add a bit more air before seating the tire. Is that normal procedure on M/C tires also?

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:

Meh. Don't worry. If you like it, that is all that matters Others might like it as well. I've not used one myself. I have a gene that makes me do everything the hard way

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Cool idea. Don't know the proper motorcycle tube protocol. But I do 2-3 bicycle tubes a summer. Most important thing I've learned is to slightly inflate the tube before poking it inside the tire, then add a bit more air before seating the tire. Is that normal procedure on M/C tires also?
Some folks do, some don't. I put it in the tire with no air in it. Once I have the stem through the rim and a nut on it so it cannot pull back through, I will add a little air just to give the tire form, but not enough to start stretching the tube. This often helps with preventing any pinching of the tube with a lever when trying to get the tire back over the rim.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
Johnf3

Not piling on, but using the Tubliss system makes a tire far easier to drop into the center of the rim, not harder. There is way more room with Tubliss vs. a regular tube. I can almost mount a 21 inch dirt tire completely by hand (no tire irons) with a Tubliss installed.

The tires jump on the rim with Tubliss, when you follow their directions and install the rim completely inside the tire and then lever each side of the tire on one side at a time.

The no pinch tool has been around for a few years, the company basically copied the design of the original manufacturer and then marketed it better. Every time a thread gets started like this, you see all the same responses.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
jqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Not piling on, but using the Tubliss system makes a tire far easier to drop into the center of the rim, not harder. There is way more room with Tubliss vs. a regular tube.
I don't see how that is possible... There is basically nothing in the middle with a tube.

My wife's online store - Lilleaf Cards and Gifts
jqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Meh, it's a tire tool thread. Would you prefer to discuss best tires? Best oil? Heck, best bike?

It's a cool tool that I've never seen before so I learned something new today. I'm super cheap though so likely not a product for me, and I'm fairly certain that I'm incompetent enough that it'll never work as well as in the youtube video in my hands.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
I don't see how that is possible... There is basically nothing in the middle with a tube.
Right. Tubes are bulkier than the skinny little Tubliss insert, and most dirt riders use a heavy duty tube or ultra heavy duty tube, which makes it worse. Then, in almost all cases with a regular tube you inflate the tube just enough to hold its shape and then it takes up even more room.

I've converted all my riding buddies to Tubliss and did the installs too plus most of us have two rim sets, so I have done probably a dozen Tubliss installs vs. 100 or probably many more tubes. Tubliss is far easier.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #16
jqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Right. Tubes are bulkier than the skinny little Tubliss insert, and most dirt riders use a heavy duty tube or ultra heavy duty tube, which makes it worse. Then, in almost all cases with a regular tube you inflate the tube just enough to hold its shape and then it takes up even more room.
When I do tires the tire sits directly on the rim in the drop center.. The tube is pushed to the side. It is bulky, but it doesn't sit in the drop center.

I sometimes put a little air in and sometimes not, but never enough to make it hard to push the off side down into the valley. I've pinched my share, but it's not normal.

Not to argue, but it's a tire thread- isn't that what it's for?

My wife's online store - Lilleaf Cards and Gifts
jqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #17
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
When I do tires the tire sits directly on the rim in the drop center.. The tube is pushed to the side. It is bulky, but it doesn't sit in the drop center.

I sometimes put a little air in and sometimes not, but never enough to make it hard to push the off side down into the valley. I've pinched my share, but it's not normal.

Not to argue, but it's a tire thread- isn't that what it's for?
All good. All our opinions are worth the same. Love me a good tire changing thread, except we highjacked Mike's original intent. Sorry Mike.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
woodsguy

Back to the no pinch tool, I have one, guess it's alright. But it just doesn't seem to have enough reach for the 21" front, always pops out os the gear part. Am I missing something there?
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
kromy67

This tube tire changing subject is hot. Back to the tool. I have shenko 703 and I would like to see somebody changing it with regular bug out tool. You can't tell when the tire is 0 psig just by looking. Hopefully if I have a air leak on the road I can repair it. That tool doesn't do it all and it might not be for all cases but for a rookie like me it was very helpful. I need to do a research about which tool to get for an on road tubeless tire replacement.

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 05-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #20
SilverBullet

Quote:
...I have shenko 703 and I would like to see somebody changing it with regular bug out tool.
That should be a straight forward tire to change, nothing special about it. If you want a tire that forces proper technique try Heidenau K60 or Mitas Dakar's. 3 ply sidewalls and 5 ply tread. Heavy near run flat mofo's that you can't muscle on. They will force you to refine your technique if installing with standard carry along tools.

Quote:
need to do a research about which tool to get for an on road tubeless tire replacement.
I think the bigger issue will be having an available replacement tire. Only the RTW riders carry them onboard.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400