• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cursed Motorcycles.

Reaction score
My last SV was bulletproof. This one is cursed. I seriously mean that.

The following is entirely true.
I have been riding for 7 years and have NEVER had a problem with a bike, nor had I been in an accident on a sportbike.

All of the following has occurred within a 5 to 6 month period.

Got it home and noticed that a rat had chewed the air filter up.
A week into owning the bike, I'm at a girls house watching a movie. Her dad walks in and goes "Hey man is that your bike? Well, I just ran over it."
New clutch lever, bar end, touchup paint on lower fairings, new shift lever.
A few weeks later the starter clutch went out while I was getting lunch. A friend picked me up and drove me an hour home. Ebay part to replace it.
Week later, the chain randomly jumps the rear sprocket, breaking the clutch push rod. Leaks oil all over the brand new rear tire.
New chain, sprockets, and rear tire.
Front tire wears extremely odd, even though pressure is checked daily and it is balanced properly. Second new front tire.
Bike throws GoPro down the road at 65mph.
First accident on the street - low side in Austin at 30 mph. Clutch lever, bar end, shift lever.
Rear tire wears flat in the middle after only 2k miles, even with correct air pressure.
Trackday! New rear tire.
Second ever accident on a street bike, highside at MSRHouston.
Bent subframe, cracked tail fairing, bent clutch lever, bent gauge mount/fairing stay, bent fairing stays, broken upper fairing, ruined windscreen, broken master cylinder+reservoir, bent brake lever, battery ejected through the seat ripping out cables and a fuse block, ripped the holes from the seat mount, two bar ends, chain jumped the sprockets, bent and scraped rear grab bar, gigantic dent in the tank, ruined gauge shroud, ruined mirror stay things.
New master cylinder, new levers, epoxied rear fairing, new battery wiring, new holes to bolt the seat to the frame, had to cut the upper fairing to be able to mount it to the bent fairing stay, headlights are aimed pretty much completely up, left mirror is lower than the other, new bar ends. It still runs, so I'm riding it.
Week later
Bar end rattles off, license plate comes free, left rearset comes completely unbolted from the frame.
Find license plate and tie it to the bike using headphones. Tie rearset to the frame using headphones.
Rob bolts from project CBR bike to re-attach rearset. License plate still tied to bike with headphones.
Next day
Mirror falls off.

And that's all up until today. I can't wait to see what falls off next!

:(

I also received my first ticket on a motorcycle on this bike. First ticket in SEVEN years. I had never even been pulled over on a bike before.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only person to own a cursed devil bike.

After repairing one of your previous bikes, I can completely understand the chain jumping the sprocket. As for the Dad thing, somehow I don't think that was an "accident" on his part.

I will say that some of this lies with the owner. Not trying to be a downer, but after high-siding it at a track day it probably needs more than some shade tree mechanic-ing to get it back into shape. Good luck getting it all sorted back out.

After repairing one of your previous bikes, I can completely understand the chain jumping the sprocket. As for the Dad thing, somehow I don't think that was an "accident" on his part.

I will say that some of this lies with the owner. Not trying to be a downer, but after high-siding it at a track day it probably needs more than some shade tree mechanic-ing to get it back into shape. Good luck getting it all sorted back out.

Haha, in my defense, I had that ninja250 while I was a broke college kid living in the dorms. (does that count as a legitimate excuse? If not I can make up something else!)

But yeah I agree, obviously a lot of it, if not all of it is my fault. It was just shocking to write it all down and see what's happened with the stupid thing in the past few months.

e: If threads could have a subtitle this ones would be "Talk me out of a DRZ400SM"".

Well, you won't hear me trying to talk you out of a drz. I have never ridden one, but have met quite a few folks that own them. All of which, feel like they are some of the most fun per cc bikes ever made.

And I guess you get a pass as a broke college kid, but just this once. LOL Now go give that SV some proper attention before anything else falls off of it. :)

Was your ticket for littering?

I recommend an Exorcism.

:eek2:

You replaced a tire because it had oil spilled on it?

It could be worse. It could be a vampire motorcycle.

Attachments

• SC20120413-080613.jpg
    SC20120413-080613.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 51
Whats your address so I can send you some loc-tite and zip ties. Maybe we could talk SRAD into a class on safety wire. Possibly a two day even Booth 1 "Tires with Bill" Booth 2 "Wiring with Chuck" Booth 3 "Safety Wire and Race Prep with SRAD"....

I have a Cursed Carb, its in my wife's Honda Recon. Every 3months I have to pull it and clean it or it won't run.

LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE LOC-TITE

I always carry tywraps and about 6 ft of stainless steel tie wire on my bikes, we shade tree mechanics aren't always right..... Oh did I mention Loc-tite on every bolt?.....:rofl:

actually about to move and will not be taking much with, got a few rolls of tie wire, interested?

Never had a cursed bike, but put a lot of miles on one that a guy died on. I had mixed feelings, but put them out of my mind knowing that assigning any of my fate to the machine instead of my own performance would affect my riding (self fulfilling prophecies and all that jazz.)

You replaced a tire because it had oil spilled on it?

I was always told that if a tire gets soaked with oil it should be replaced as the oil will seep into the rubber and cause a loss of traction. Is that incorrect?

Really only if it is long term saturation. Oils will break down rubber but it takes a long time for something like a tire to experience problems.

Had multiple issues with one bike just hit the tires with awesome, from the general dollar store, it is a dollar a bottle and is hands down best water based degreaser. :trust:

I was always told that if a tire gets soaked with oil it should be replaced as the oil will seep into the rubber and cause a loss of traction. Is that incorrect?

First time I've heard that and I've been doing vehicle maintenance of some kind my whole life. Id clean it and go on.

Back