• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Irving/Coppell

Reaction score
Hey y'all... 40 year old rider, on 22 year old Yamaha FZ750, been here about a year and all I'm doing is commuting back and forth to work.

I moved here from Northern California... and I MISS my twisties! Where can a fella find some kinky pavement 'round here?

First pic - me and my old FZ700, Mines Rd, outside of Livermore CA, spring of 2005. As you can see, the bodywork was removed due to it being in... questionable repair (the previous owner apparently liked to use it as a track bike.. and he wasn't too good at keeping it out of the gravel traps. I decided bare frame was better than fiberglass held on with zip-ties and epoxy.)

Second pic - my FZ750, purchased from a kid in Garland with 17K on the odometer.

Attachments

• 895b.jpg
    895b.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 93
  • new_FZ750.jpg
    new_FZ750.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 94
Welcome to the site. Have to ask about your screen name. My uncle in Baytown was known as Professor Blues.

Prof, keep you eyes open for rides to the west and southwest of Ft Worth. There is a ride scheduled for tomorrow on some nice roads out to Stephenville for BBQ at Hard 8. Click here for details and be ready to get wet. ;)

Also, you can ride east for nice roads. The Piney Woods region of Texas has some of the nicest riding in the state.

Don't forget the Hill Country. The northern edges are easily within reach for a day trip, deeper into the region and you'll want to overnight it.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find too much in the way of twisties here in the metromess. You're going to have to ride a little ways to get to some good stuff.

Welcome to the site. Have to ask about your screen name. My uncle in Baytown was known as Professor Blues.

Hehe. I usually go by Deacon Blues (from the Steely Dan song of the same name) but when I got on a few forums I discovered that name was taken, so I changed Deacon to Professor. *shrug*

And no I have never lived in Baytown, and my brother hasn't informed me of any nephews or nieces. Yet. :)

As for rides, those sound definitely do-able (except for the one in Ft. Worth, my sister-in-law's in town from Chicago, so my wife has decreed that I'll accompany them at least on Sunday. Monday, I may be able to shake free...) I'll have to scare up some decent tires for the FZ soon, and with those mid-80's rims, sizing's gonna be a bit dicey. I think I'm limited to Metz Lasertecs or possibly Dunlop or Chen Shin tourer tires. I'd prefer sport-tour compounds, of course...

Welcome aboard Professor!

Head north out of Irving and hit I-35E northbound. Hang a right on FM 455 in Sanger(north of Denton) and enjoy the ride. Head for Pilot Point and then left on 377 for about a mile or so. 455 follows 377 for a short distance then heads east again. Gotta be careful cause there are some 90 degree turns mixed in. Head for Celina where the twisties really kick in right past there. Head for Anna and head north on 5 to Van Alstyne. Hang a left on(I think it is FM 121 west out of Van Alstyne to Tioga. There is a good BBQ place(Clarks) there that is a popular stop for everyone. Head north on 377 for less than a mile and there is a left you can take(cant recall the hiway number) that will take you back to I-35 at Valley View, only about 20 miles north of Sanger where you cut off. You can study this route on a map, I am not a GPS user, I use "maps.huge.info" to look for routes but that Hwy 455 route is one of the top 10 rides in "Ride Texas" Magazine.

Doesn't really matter what route you take, you can always head south back to the city using US 75 that takes you south into McKinney-Allen area, 289 that takes you back into Frisco and south, as well as I-35....hard to get lost no matter what FM road you take.

If you are looking for ride buddies, post word in the"upcoming Rides, Trips & Events" section and you may have company.

Have fun!

My first sportbike was an FZ750. Didn't fit my legs, so I upgraded to a Hurricane 1000, but it's a FANTASTIC bike. Welcome to the boards!

Welcome to the site :wave:

Best riding for street is going to be NW Arkansas and SW Missouri :dude: Texas has a few fun roads by Texan standards, but not really by Californian standards ;-) Those in Ar and Mo rock! Think fast roller coasters with tight bends and quick elevation changes... :rider:

Back