• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride around Mt Rainier, Washinton state

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
VanderWaal
image.jpgI am fortunate to live near the base of the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states. What started out as a ride around the mountain turned into more of a figure 8 as I wanted to get a few more miles in. The ride includes portions of Mt Rainier National park which requires access fees that range from $5 for a single rider to $80 for an all access annual pass to all National Parks in the US. I chose the latter as I work and ride all over and the pass works for both my wife and I.

The ride began from Enumclaw, solo on my 2014 FLHXS I headed east on hwy 410 through Greenwater , and upto the entrance of Mt Rainier National Park(MRNP), the entrance at about mile 30 is a non paying marker and just there to tell you not to continue if you are a commercial vehicle. About 5 or 6 miles further brings you to the Sunrise entrance to MRNP, you can choose here to pay and continue to the lodge at the actual base of the mountain or turn around and head back to hwy 410.

I grew up in the area and it still is an awesome sight to be right on the mountain. The views across the wide open valleys and the decent for a mountain road of twisties to the top were a joy on two wheels.

This road leads you to the top and the lodge along with a few campgrounds along the way. I suggest planning a couple hours or at least a coffee/lunch break at the top if the weather is good. When done take the same road back down, out the the same entrance and back to hwy 410. While the road is not in terrible shape it was on this stretch where I bottomed my suspension for the first unforgettable moment in the short life of my SGS, a sudden un announced abrupt frost heave hidden in a shadow got me on the way up.

A right hand turn on hwy 410 and continue to hwy 123 Cayuse Pass which exits to the right. Cayuse is a connector from hwy 410 (chinook pass) and hwy 12 (white pass).

I should note that Chinook and Cayuse are closed during the winter, and exhibit many of those anti motorcycle characteristics that winter roads can have. Frost heaves, ruts, repairs, and rocks of different severities can be found, that said except for the road from paradise to Longmire (more on this later) I thought the roads were in great shape for mountain roads.

Continuing to hwy 12, I pass the Stevens Canyon entrance to MRNP and continue to hwy 12where I turn left towards White Pass/Yakima and head for Naches. The ride on hwy 12 over White Pass is great for road conditions and views along the Rimrock reservoir and then into the valley along the Tieton river. It is here where the temps got over 80 and I put my Jacket in the saddle bag for the rest of the day.

Hwy 12 connects with hwy 410, I turned right for the short ride into Naches and while not critical for fuel, I wanted to top off before heading back towards the mountain.

I gassed up, turned around and headed west on hwy 410 towards Chinook pass.

Before heading over the pass I stop at Whistlin Jacks lodge for lunch. Whistlin Jacks is open year round and is at the end of the Naches Trail which is popular with Snowmobile riders in the winter and with ADV, off road, and touring MC riders in the summer. There were probably 40 or more motorcycles ranging from Harley's to KTM off roaders mixed in with the tourist mini vans. The food is always good, but some patience is required as the crowds sometimes mean a wait. I suggest getting your lunch to go and eating on the deck overlooking the Naches river.

Leaving Jacks I head west towards Chinook Pass, the roads are in good shape and the traffic is in my favor, middle day of the holiday weekend meant most of the motor home land barges were safely moored in their respective campgrounds. Once again the views going over the pass are either breath taking in beauty or terrifying if you think 1,000' drops to your immediate left or right are something to be feared......

I go over the pass and continue west to a left turn onto hwy 123 for the 2nd time of the day. I continue on hwy 123 to the Stevens Canyon entrance to MRNP where I believe there is a short cut through the park to my house.....after waiting behind 7 or 8 cages of tourists getting into the park, I show my pass and ask the ranger if I can indeed take paved roads through the park to Ashford. He assures me that the road is paved, but warns the road is under construction and to heed signs that say rough road, and that ruts exist that are about this deep as he holds his hands about 10" apart, then looks at my bike and says no problem just go slow....

I continue anyhow thinking slow and steady, first 18 miles through the tourists and trees yield more spectacular views and acceptable road conditions. I chose not to go upto the Paradise lodge as I was already about 2 hours beyond my original schedule and not having cell coverage meant my wife was sure that I was at the bottom of one of those 1,000' drop offs.

I continue towards Longmire which will lead to Ashford, Eatonville , and home in Graham. The road while tore up pretty good from the construction is not as bad as advertised although I did take a very slow pace behind a few cars also taking it easy and finally exited MRNP at the Nisqually entrance.

Through Ashford and into Elbe I pulled over and phoned the wife to let her know to keep making the life insurance payments as I was still alive.

Total trip was 315 miles on the Odo, 305 according to google of mostly two lane twisty, mountain riding. Just going around the mountain would probably be about 165, which was not enough in my opinion for a days ride. I left at 8:30am and returned at 5:15 pm with stops for breakfast and lunch.image.jpg

Back