• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip to North Carolina

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab I'm heading to North Carolina. Leaving June 7th, returning June 15th. If I go alone, I'll be riding the whole way. If anyone goes with me, I'll trailer to Northeastern Alabama. Seven full days of riding in the Smoky Mountains. Highlights will include the Cherohala Skyway, Deal's Gap and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Once there, rides will typically be about 250-350 miles per day.

:tab My trailer holds two bikes. If needed, I could get a larger trailer that will hold four bikes. I'm not opposed to camping a few days here and there, weather dependent. Might see if some local riders will put us up for a night or two. The idea is to do the trip relatively cheap.

:tab If anyone is interested in tagging along, please let me know ASAP so I can finalize plans.

OK, it's official, you're driving me INSANE!

I feel bad enough doing an overnighter, and you're talking almost a week in gorgeous country.

Grrrr.... :)

I have the fortunate (or unfortunate) luck of not having kids and I have an independent wife that can handle me being gone that long. It is the first of my two one week vacations this year. I had planned to go to Colorado during the same time, but those plans fell through. It is easier to find people to stay with if you go East, so I am heading to NC instead. It is a cheaper trip for the most part.

Wish I could join you, but my vacation days for this year are all pretty much spoken for already. My dream is to ride Deals Gap and the surrounding area some day. I still kick myself for not taking the opportunity to ride over there when I was living in Nashville a few years back.

I was in Asheville, NC last January and before heading back to Houston, took a drive down to Chimney Rock Park. Highway 74 south was fantastic. The weather was sunny and had warmed up to the mid-60s so the local riders were out in force, scratching pegs through the switch-backs. Boy, how I wished I could join them! If you haven't been there, Chimney Rock is located in a very steep, scenic valley; it's where the final foot-chase and fight scenes were filmed for the movie The Last of the Mohicans. Lots of motels and camping available nearby along the river and lake too.

Back