TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
gixxerjasen

Re: Alta electric gone?

Not to stray too far off topic here, but how are the current crop of electric lawn equipment. I know in the motorcycle and automobile segment there's been huge leaps in technology, but didn't know if it had made it's way to consumer level lawn stuff yet. Last time I used my FIL's weed eater it had about half the power of my gas one and had a hard time with dense tall grasses. I'm either needing to buy new stuff this year or suck it up and pay someone else to do it. Tired of tiny carbs myself.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #22
jfink
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Not to stray too far off topic here, but how are the current crop of electric lawn equipment. I know in the motorcycle and automobile segment there's been huge leaps in technology, but didn't know if it had made it's way to consumer level lawn stuff yet. Last time I used my FIL's weed eater it had about half the power of my gas one and had a hard time with dense tall grasses. I'm either needing to buy new stuff this year or suck it up and pay someone else to do it. Tired of tiny carbs myself.
Sorry about the highjack myself. With the right electrics they can be as good as gas. I have some Ryobi 18v stuff that sucks, but I went predominately with EGO 56v stuff. Read up on the battery technology, it is all pretty much the same batteries (lithium cells), but EGO did a much better job of designing the case for ventilation and chargers that work properly.

P.S. paying someone else is easiest!

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #23
weekend_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
My neighbor has the EGO set up. Looks pretty decent, but I don't want to replace batteries once every couple of years. My current lawn system (gas) is pretty old. Going on 15 years little to no maintenance at all. I beat on the stuff regular.

On a side note... I do a couple lawns in the hood and do sweat equity for race moneys and gas to ride.
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I own several "larger" ranch style weed eaters, pole saw, blowers, chain saws, etc so I spend some time in the local Stihl and Husky shops. From what I understand they are getting better, but you have to buy several battery packs. They have a whole harness setup to carry batteries on your person. I thought about going the battery way, but they talked me out of it.

I just pony up the big bucks for the factory pre-mixed gallons of fuel. I think it is about $17.99 per gallon, but you can let things sit for months with the factory ethanol free fuel without any problems.

If I know I am going to burn through a couple of gallons in a day with the chain saws, I will run pump gas then at the end of the day dump out any remaining gas from the saw, fill with expensive stuff, then make my final cuts.

I did buy a 20 gallon gravity feed gas caddy thing, but need to remember to take it with me next time I go to Fredricksburg, they have stations with ethanol free gas.
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax (oh baby)
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, Skid Steer, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote