• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any members from Amarillo, Texas?

that would be awesome! It gets lonely out here for us panhandle members.

It really is a bit lonely here for riders! It surprises me though! I mean there are lots of cool riding areas around... I mean exploring dirt roads after studying a plat map is always cool... and then New Mexico, Colorado and the mountains beyond. Anyway, yes, I would be interested to meet people within a couple hundred mile of here for day rides!

Hi Bode, I just saw this. I am Don, thencamedonson, and I am in Canyon.
I have lived in Canyon off/on since 1970 and been riding since 73. Heck, We may know each other!
Most of My riding in the last 30 years has been road bikes, 27 years on a 73 Z-1 Kawasaki, and a number of Hondas, Yamahas, Harleys, Buell s and now, a brand new Thruxton.
I bought a very clean 84 XL-350r last year and was about to sell it, because I have not been riding it. I loaded it in My pu last fall and was on My way to the River, when the Feds closed it down. I really don't have any buds to ride DS with, so I was thinking of selling it and falling back on the other 16 bikes n the shed! The Honda is fun, but pavement gets boring in a hurry , with it relatively low speed.
BTW, to all You guys......My friend , Dave Howe, started an informal club in Keller , Texas, in 1984. The PECKERHEAD MOTORCYCLR RACING CLUB. Dave is a published writer and has had many magazine articles published in RIDE TEXAS, MOTORCYCLE CLASICS and other publications. Dave has also ridden at speed at Bonneville and is a Amarillo native. Dave wrote the article THEN CAME BRONSON-AGAIN, for MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS magazine, which featured My Bronson replica bike.
Back to the point, Dave retired a few years ago, and moved back to Amarillo. He hosts a PECKERHEAD meeting every Friday night at His home and We always need new members. The PECKERHEADS are an informal bunch, and We have no rules, no dues, no officers and no excuse. The only requirement is that You love and know motorcycles. We start at 6PM and quit about 10, or until Betty runs Us off! Adult beverages are allowed but not required. Any of You birds that would like to become PECKERHEADS feel free to PM Me for details.
http://www.peckerheadmotorcycleracing.com/

I have lived in Canyon off/on since 1970 and been riding since 73. Heck, We may know each other!
Most of My riding in the last 30 years has been road bikes, 27 years on a 73 Z-1 Kawasaki, and a number of Hondas, Yamahas, Harleys, Buell s and now, a brand new Thruxton.
I bought a very clean 84 XL-350r last year and was about to sell it, because I have not been riding it. I loaded it in My pu last fall and was on My way to the River, when the Feds closed it down. I really don't have any buds to ride DS with, so I was thinking of selling it and falling back on the other 16 bikes n the shed! The Honda is fun, but pavement gets boring in a hurry , with it relatively low speed.
BTW, to all You guys......My friend , Dave Howe, started an informal club in Keller , Texas, in 1984. The PECKERHEAD MOTORCYCLR RACING CLUB. Dave is a published writer and has had many magazine articles published in RIDE TEXAS, MOTORCYCLE CLASICS and other publications. Dave has also ridden at speed at Bonneville and is a Amarillo native. Dave wrote the article THEN CAME BRONSON-AGAIN, for MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS magazine, which featured My Bronson replica bike.
Back to the point, Dave retired a few years ago, and moved back to Amarillo. He hosts a PECKERHEAD meeting every Friday night at His home and We always need new members. The PECKERHEADS are an informal bunch, and We have no rules, no dues, no officers and no excuse. The only requirement is that You love and know motorcycles. We start at 6PM and quit about 10, or until Betty runs Us off! Adult beverages are allowed but not required. Any of You birds that would like to become PECKERHEADS feel free to PM Me for details.

Well, thanks, Don, for the great message! First of all, if you haven't sold the Honda yet, then let's go put some miles on the ****** thing! I don't know if you have ever ridden the Canadian River, but it's a great place to ride! As you likely saw from my post, I went on Saturday and it was fantastic! We should trade numbers and try to make it happen next time the weather is good! My number is 806-420-0202. My schedule is flexible, so I can really ride 7 days a week, often even on the spur of a moment.

Thanks also for the lead on the Peckerheads! I will go to that link and follow up. What kind of bikes do those guys ride anyway? Just all sorts of different stuff? And do you go hang with them when they get together?

Thanks! Bode :mrgreen:

Don, I would be interested in meeting the Peckerheads if it's possible to get more info on that meeting!

Well, thanks, Don, for the great message! First of all, if you haven't sold the Honda yet, then let's go put some miles on the ****** thing! I don't know if you have ever ridden the Canadian River, but it's a great place to ride! As you likely saw from my post, I went on Saturday and it was fantastic! We should trade numbers and try to make it happen next time the weather is good! My number is 806-420-0202. My schedule is flexible, so I can really ride 7 days a week, often even on the spur of a moment.

Thanks also for the lead on the Peckerheads! I will go to that link and follow up. What kind of bikes do those guys ride anyway? Just all sorts of different stuff? And do you go hang with them when they get together?

Thanks! Bode :mrgreen:

Bode, the PECKERHEADS ride a variety of bikes. Our current Amarillo group is small, usually 5 or 6 guys each week. The Chapter in Keller is still very active, probably 100-150 members, although, the "Official" World Headquarters is in Amarillo, now. When Dave is off camping or saving the world, We meet at My shop in Canyon, where much motorcycle wisdom and expertise is shared, and stuff is made up.:mrgreen:
We would welcome You and any like-minded friends that would like to join Us. I will PM You more info.

BTW, the PH site I linked is a tongue in cheek overview of the PECKERHEADS. No animals were harmed in the building of that website!:rider:
Some claims, comments and views may or may not be based in fact.:sun:

It really is a bit lonely here for riders! It surprises me though! I mean there are lots of cool riding areas around... I mean exploring dirt roads after studying a plat map is always cool... and then New Mexico, Colorado and the mountains beyond. Anyway, yes, I would be interested to meet people within a couple hundred mile of here for day rides!

IF you do NM or CO on blacktop let us know first we are full of it . Advice that is.:rofl:

Back