• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin - Dirt Gravel roads for newbie to get started

Reaction score
I am new to the off-road scene and am looking for easy dirt or gravel roads to get started. I ride a Buell Ulysses and have ridden the occasional back road but I have been riding streets for 200K miles over the years. Can anybody show me or at tell me where some roads are around Austin?
Thanks for any help.
RT :rider:

Last edited:
You might try posting this in the "General Dirtiness" DualSport area above.

Also so some searches for bicycle gravel grinders in the Austin area. There have been some events around Bastrop and Burnet. There's not nearly as much around here as other parts of Texas. I think the asphalt lobby is stationed here in town.

I am new to the off-road scene and am looking for easy dirt or gravel roads to get started. I ride a Buell Ulysses and have ridden the occasional back road but I have been riding streets for 200K miles over the years. Can anybody show me or at tell me where some roads are around Austin?
Thanks for any help.

Come to Thorndale, Milam county...I'll help! :sun:

Thanks for any help.

Come to Thorndale, Milam county...I'll help! :sun:
Sunday morning good with you?

I like to use Google Maps and Garmin's BaseCamp along with a GPS to plot a route exploring new roads.

You can zoom in on Google, and with practice isolate the dirt roads from the paved. Often enough there aren't any particular road that is better or worse so much as there will be sections of road that might be more challenging. For instance; sandy sections, or flowing low water crossings with deadly Green Slime.

If you have a GPS, even the one in your phone, and learn how to load routes into it you can plan great rides and avoid some dead ends and such.

Be ready to reroute, as even Google at full zoom won't always clearly show a gate across what looks like a continuous road.

Make these rides an exploration while improving your braking and turning skills on the loose stuff.

Gravel Guy would be an excellent guide if you find yourself in his neck of the woods. He may actually be allergic to pavement.

In the few adventures I took up this way, I have seen gated county roads. With country Gentlemen quite adamant that you cannot use somewhat marked public roads.....

I remember one conversation "you were going to cut my gate!" Answer no it's a rope I can go under it. Why are you blocking a county road? Then something about Jeb the Sherriff being a friend or cousin and yeah well whatever. Just not worth it.

Last edited:
The one I came across most recently was likely a former county road that had fallen back into private road classification. The gate was a huge welded iron monstrosity with automatic opener and the entrance to the property indicated it was now a resort or meeting space.

There are a number of roads that get county maintenance (public funded), yet the landowner tries to prevent public use. I will usually respect the gate if there is no inviting signage, like, "please close the gate," "County Road number," or some such. For all I know the road may have reverted back to private since the map I'm using was made. I'd rather avoid confrontation, even if the road is public and the landowner is trying to have his cake (public funded maintenance) and eat it too (private use).

There are plenty of other roads I haven't ridden. :rider:

Gravel Guy would be an excellent guide if you find yourself in his neck of the woods. He may actually be allergic to pavement.

Awe shucks....you say the nicest things! ;-). I wonder how serious the OP was?.......

Back