• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New member from across the pond

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
My plan is still in the planning stages, but my initial idea is to airfreight my bike into Dulles sometime around the end of May 2018 giving myself around 4-6 weeks to go across country towards LA where the bike will be sea freighted back to the UK. From Dulles I am looking at visiting:
(not in any order)
The shenandoah parkway
The Blue ridge Parkway
Deals Gap
Pikes Peak
Million Dollar highway
Monument Valley
Glen Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Zion National Park
Hoover Dam
Yosemite National Park
Ride parts of the Pacific coast highway
+ any sensible suggestions of places to visit within the area between I-10 in the south, and I-40 keeping off the interstate as much as possible, I figure riding 200 - 300 mile days, possibly less to make it more enjoyable.

Due to the dates I`m considering travelling I`m aware the weather window along the way won`t be perfect, with potential wet, extreme heat, and cooler temps at higher elevations. I have considered the idea of camping along the way, but the possibility of high temperatures would make it uncomfortable, and the time required to setup camp at the end of each day would eat into the time available. Also the option of sleeping in an air conditioned hotel room after a long day on the road seems a good idea

If you are going from Bryce / Zion Hoover Dam and then Yosemite I have to say that there is a lot of desert out there! Don't trust your GPS and stay on well traveled roads. Death Valley is hot and miserable just like its name even in November. Plan well and check weather.com for average temps along your way.

Thanks for the wise advice, I've been a member on ADV for many years http://advrider.com/index.php?members/peirre-o-bollox.79307/ as this is how I found myself at twt. I think a ktm 990 won't be suitable as I'm only 5'6" with a 29" inseam, and likewise I may struggle with a 1200 GS. But having swung a let over an AT recently I know I'm ok there. Though I was drooling over a new triple black GSA at the dealers recently but nearly fainted when I saw the price of £17000GBP+
I'll start scouring the for sale pages sometime after Christmas to see if anything take my fancy as by then I'll also have a better idea of a trip plan

Last edited:
:sun:While you are here (add 6+ more wks) Mesa Verde Nat Park is an old Anasazi Indian pueblo located in southern Colorado. That route would line you up for the Grand Canyon (AZ) and Zion (Utah). There is an amazing new bridge over Hoover Dam south of Las Vegas.
We have a saying here: it's dry heat. TX, 95 = 102F, wet heat. Arizona, Nevada, 110 = 110F, dry heat.
If you stay until November, it might have cooled off a bit in Texas!
Anyway, it is like anywhere you visit, there is plenty more for another trip. I have been to England twice and can't wait to get back. So much to see at every turn. RH

The BMW F650GS (the one with the 800 motor) might be a great choice. Their seat heights are not as high as the typical adventure bikes. They are often used by inseam challenged riders as dual sport/adventure bikes. There is one sitting in my garage right now. The friend that owns it is 5'2-1/4" tall. She gets upset if I leave off that last bit :-P I have ridden hers and it would make a great touring bike. She has taken it on several long trips. She packs like she's moving, so the bike is capable of handling a LOT of luggage :lol2: They would likely be much cheaper than something like a 1200 GS, but still have good power, suspension, brakes, gas mileage, etc,...

I would have suggested a used wee strom. Great prices, available on the used market, and many with baggage capacity to make a long trip.

I would have suggested a used wee strom. Great prices, available on the used market, and many with baggage capacity to make a long trip.

I was thinking the same thing. The one I bought years ago was setup specifically for touring and I paid $3800 for it when it was only two years old with about 9K miles on it. I only sold it because I got the itch for another GS :-P

As promised the initial draft of the route drawn up using basecamp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mkjurp5jo8chvz/coast to coast.gpx?dl=0
I haven't yet considered towns where to find accommodation, as its only an initial draft. Side trips are yet to be considered.
There`s very little on the route at this point between Springfield and Denver except a long tiring ride, so any suggestions to fill that part are welcome

Welcome aboard!
Arizona: Grand Canyon, Petrified forest, Painted desert
California: Humboldt County; giant Redwood trees

Back