• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably a story best told around a campfire in BB after numerous shots:eek2:

What happens in Terlingua, stays in Terlingua..:lol2:

Last edited:
Would like to do this again as it has been a few years since I did this on my Husaberg 570 that failed me miserably. All the kinks have been sorted out and she runs like a Banshee and reliably so I might be up for this again. I also have a KTM 250XC-W with a 5 gallon tank but I don't that she can run with the big boys on the paved trails.

Last edited:
In!

For anyone who hasn't been to Big Bend and is confused by "just down the road" I am attaching a quick google map of all the borders of town and a few spots of interest so you can gauge it easily.

Uncle's Driveway >> Starlight Theater (restaurant) >> El Dorado (and High Sierra Bar - Fajita Thursday) >> La Kiva >> Chisos Mining Company Motel and Cabins (also called Easter Egg) >> BB Resort and Adventures (Banquet)

https://goo.gl/maps/tseawMH7xw82

I'm no BB expert.. I have visited a couple times on KTM 450exc, 500xcw, and 300xcw.
random thoughts:

1. There is no "right" bike for BB, I think you can have a blast on little bikes or big bikes

2. The distances, challenges, and logistics are what make the wild west FUN

3. On my small bikes, I carried around 3.5 gallons

4. I usually bring 2 wheelsets. One with dez tires, the second set are DOT
Dunlop 606's. Def bring a DOT legal bike, valid drivers license, and proof of insurance

5. I enjoyed my 300 two stroke out there. I rode the state ranch and the
national park. I carried oil in small shampoo bottles. Loved the tighter
sections and of course hated long pavement runs

6. Food: Awesome food everywhere!

7. Temps: Anything from 30 at night to 95 during the day.
Embrace the unknown. Viva Terlingua!!

8. Vibration: Its not the displacement that would point me towards a
machine, its the vibes. Do you want to ride 8 hours on a paint shaker?
I am a 2 stroke fan... but if I had a ktm 350 and a ktm 300 in the shed,
I would probably take the 350 to the national park and the 300 to the state ranch

9. Fuel: local stuff is low octane. Some stations close at 5pm
Last trip Panther Junction was open 24 hrs (but canopy lights were off) and Rio
Grande Village closed at 5pm. Running out of fuel anywhere out
there ranks pretty high on the suck-meter

10. Medical: Its far to a ranger. Its far to a hospital. Ride smart

11. If you're sitting on the fence, then you should go! Its remote, desolate, and
beautiful. Unspoiled.

Last edited:
I'm tentatively in. Depends on the foot's healing status. Hope y'all don't mind a dude without a ton of offroad experience.

Subscribed.

This may have to be my debut camping trip.

Campsite is now booked.

Last edited:
We took the ct90 to the ranch twice for long 100+ miles days and had a blast. Only problem was that we had to trailer the ct90 to get there from Uncles. Only the pea gravel took the bike down cause the skinny tires could not plane over them. But hill climbing was a hoot.

Hotel is booked at the El Dorado as usual. Me and a buddy of mine will mail in the registration fee. I look forward to participating in this ride again. I will be bringing the Super Tenere this year, so I'll be sticking to the pavement or class 2 roads. I'm interested in crossing over and checking out that canyon ride in Mexico and we will be bringing our passports. I'm interested in riding in a group to Mexico with someone that has done it before. Give me a shout out if you got room for two in your planned group. We are both experienced riders.

Last edited:
I'm interested in crossing over and checking out that canyon ride in Mexico and we will be bringing our passports. I'm interested in riding in a group with someone that has done it before. Give me a shout out if you got room for two in your planned group. With are both experienced riders.

I hope you catch the Mexico enthusiasm. In the future, you should cross and continue on through Chihuahua and make a ride HQ out of Creel. Perhaps in conjunction with a future Uncle's Ride.

Ride the Copper Canyon. It will be an epiphany like no other.

Last year's event was my first time riding a motorcycle in BB and i will most certainly attend this one. Looking forward to it!

The GS? Trying to decide which GS, 1150 or the 650... done it on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got me a room at Mission lodge will be sending in reg. soon
First time in Big Bend
Looking forward to it

I hope you catch the Mexico enthusiasm. In the future, you should cross and continue on through Chihuahua and make a ride HQ out of Creel. Perhaps in conjunction with a future Uncle's Ride.

<< Tru dat. :trust:

The GS? Trying to decide which GS, 1150 or the 650... done it on both.

Messenjah- I’d definitely go with the 650. I just bought a CRF450X and am in the process of getting it street legal for the ride. Otherwise I’ll be on the gs1200 but I really don’t want to be.

We will definitely do Copper Canyon. Thanks.

Where do we download the tracks. I seem to have misplaced my tracks from last year.

I may be interested in doing a day ride to Copper Canyon as well. Also need to do a day in the State Park since I missed it last time.

I may be interested in doing a day ride to Copper Canyon as well. Also need to do a day in the State Park since I missed it last time.

Sounds like you want to hang with us. Where are you staying? I'm at the El Dorado. My cell is 830-822-4404. We need to recruit a Copper Canyon veteran to show us the way. Any volunteers. I've got the park and surrounding rides down.

Don't forget your passport.

Last edited:
If by day ride you mean out & back, then Peguis Canyon is a day ride. Copper Canyon is a one-way day ride.

At least. Took me a day and a half to get from Presidio to Urique. Overnighted at Cuauhtemoc.

Sounds like you want to hang with us. Where are you staying? I'm at the El Dorado. My cell is 830-822-4404. We need to recruit a Copper Canyon veteran to show us the way. Any volunteers. I've got the park and surrounding rides down.

Don't forget your passport.

I'm camping at Big Bend RV Park. I'll PM my cell

If by day ride you mean out & back, then Peguis Canyon is a day ride. Copper Canyon is a one-way day ride.

I'll only have limited days down there so I don't think I can invest more than one day to go over the border so Peguis Canyon sounds like a more doable plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back