• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

new dude checking in

sargin

Reaction score
Hi there :)

I'm newly arrived in this fine country, currently in Austin, originally from Denmark.

Currently riding my trusty beat up old Honda Reflex 250, yeah yeah, I know, it's not a proper bike etc :D

reflexarizona.jpg

Hay ya "New Dude" :welcome: to Texas.

Two wheels is Two Wheels. You are always welcome to ride with me. :rider::rider:

Welcome. You're a long way from Denmark. What brought you to Austin?

Welcome to the club and probably all the fun of getting a green card!! I am from England and have been here 7 years.. Love it out here, you have a great bike but you need a dual sport to compliment it:trust:, there is a ton of dirt roads to ride in Texas.. :rider:

Gary

Thanks for the welcome :)

I actually lived in London, UK, for 14 years before coming here, still miss it sometimes.. not the food so much, but the people and the feel of the place.

Unlike most other Europeans, I didn't arrive here via the hi-tech or oil industries, but got a green card in the diversity visa program which is a limited amount of green cards the State Dept allocate via a lottery to people from smaller countries who fulfill certain criteria (no criminal record, certain level of education, clean health, these days they also look at how likely you are to find a job here)

Had my testicles poked at by a doctor in London, and arrived in Houston with an xray of my lungs on a cd-rom, to be processed Ellis Island style (except for the cd rom, obviously)

Anyway, here I am, looking forward to the future (and to getting a new drive belt in the mail )

I actually lived in London, UK, for 14 years before coming here, still miss it sometimes.. not the food so much, but the people and the feel of the place.

Unlike most other Europeans, I didn't arrive here via the hi-tech or oil industries, but got a green card in the diversity visa program which is a limited amount of green cards the State Dept allocate via a lottery to people from smaller countries who fulfill certain criteria (no criminal record, certain level of education, clean health, these days they also look at how likely you are to find a job here)

Had my testicles poked at by a doctor in London, and arrived in Houston with an xray of my lungs on a cd-rom, to be processed Ellis Island style (except for the cd rom, obviously)

Anyway, here I am, looking forward to the future (and to getting a new drive belt in the mail )

I grew up in the Bayswater/Notting Hill area and also emigrated here (a quarter of a century ago) through Houston. You got the lottery visa eh? I had to go through years of bureaucracy and attorney's fees under the "unique & exceptional talents" category.

I didn't realize I had missed so much fun by being born here. We're glad you finally got here with your privates intact.

I didn't realize I had missed so much fun by being born here. We're glad you finally got here with your privates intact.

Oh yeah - so much fun. Imagine the DMV...now imagine the DMV 100X worse. You've just stepped into an INS office.

Now you're scaring me, Philip.

If you've ever taken a business quality class, you probably know that the classic classroom exercise to demonstrate "bad process" is to try to flowchart how a driver's license office works. That became Edward Deming's "bad process" poster child.

Hey, you're lucky you have an 'exceptional talent', I've got a useless MA in history of ideas (from the UK), without this lottery thing I'd never ever been able to settle here :)

Anyway, Brits always get envious about not being able to take part in the diversity visa program (except if they're born in Northern Ireland), but then again it's easier for you fellers to move to Canada, Australia and you don't lose your citizenship (and thereby the right to live in Europe) like I will when I get my US citizenship (unless the Danes change their laws, which they might this year) :)

Back