• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Breaking News: AMA National Hare And Hound Coming To West Texas

Johnf3

Reaction score
Mark you calendars for the weekend of March 10/11. More to come, but Lubbock Trail Riders are stepping up to host a round of the 2018 AMA National Hare and Hound Championship. My opinion is that the Pro riders of this series are the fastest overall riders compared to any form of off road racing.

That weekend is the weekend right after our TSCEC Enduro on March 3rd and 4th. The Enduro weekend will feature two REAL enduros. We are not going to take the easy way out with a Sprint Enduro on Saturday. Saturday will be a real Enduro--no loop!

We are all already working very hard on the Enduro and looking forward to the National and Hare and Hound too. My particular trail crew has been working (for many weekends in a row) on a new 25 mile loop using land we have not raced on in 5 or more years.

Would love to see some of y'all that race and new riders wanting to see what it is all about. There are classes for everyone.

Last edited:
:clap:
Mark you calendars for the weekend of March 10/11. More to come, but Lubbock Trail Riders are stepping up to host a round of the 2018 AMA National Hare and Hound Championship. My opinion is that the Pro riders of this series are the fastest overall riders compared to any form of off road racing.

That weekend is the weekend right after our TSCEC Enduro on March 3rd and 4th. The Enduro weekend will feature two REAL enduros. We are not going to take the easy way out with a Sprint Enduro on Saturday. Saturday will be a real Enduro--no loop!

We are all already working very hard on the Enduro and looking forward to the National and Hare and Hound too. My particular trail crew has been working (for many weekends in a row) on a new 25 mile loop using land we have not raced on in 5 or more years.

Would love to see some of y'all that race and new riders wanting to see what it is all about. There are classes for everyone.

Sounds Awesome John! Maybe this year will be in the cars for me. I've not been on the property in a couple years. That is way to long.

Looking at all the Hare and Hound Classes trying to figure out how many trophies we have to cover for...26 adult classes including womens classes, over 60, over 70 and plenty of A, B and C classes. Also a Sportsmen class for those not worried about points or trophies--for those that just want to ride. Lots of different mini classes too, for the young riders. I don't know if there has ever been a National H&H this far East or not, but the California desert guys are going to be in for a bit tighter and maybe more technical course I think, then what they are used to. I sure hope we can get some Texas riders to come out too.

We are stepping in at pretty much the last minute to help out the National Promoters who had an race date open because another hosting club bailed out. This all just happened in the last 10 days or so.

No time keeping, no check in or check outs. Line up and go. The ATV classes will not be racing in Texas.

http://nationalhareandhound.com/wp/

Last edited:
"I don't know if there has ever been a National H&H this far East or not, but the California desert guys are going to be in for a bit tighter and maybe more technical course I think, then what they are used to. I sure hope we can get some Texas riders to come out too."

Some forum I was thumbing through was complaining about the distance, heck it's a National Championship, not California only. Hope it goes great for y'all.

"I don't know if there has ever been a National H&H this far East or not, but the California desert guys are going to be in for a bit tighter and maybe more technical course I think, then what they are used to. I sure hope we can get some Texas riders to come out too."

Some forum I was thumbing through was complaining about the distance, heck it's a National Championship, not California only. Hope it goes great for y'all.

Come out and ride. You know the way to Post, we are just 15 miles further.:rider: As far as the CA guys complaining, you are right, it is supposed to be a National Championship, which is why I think the promoters are trying to reach out to some non-traditional locations.

Right now, the best group as far as hard core riders that don't care about travel or anything else are the Colorado guys--RMEC. They really help boost our Enduro rider count. Maybe some of those guys will come back for the H&H the following weekend. Maybe Cole K. and Ben Spies and some of that group will show as well.

Hmm that is the weekend of my birthday sounds like a good present
drive up to Post and spend the day getting roosted by the pros
instead of my normal group:lol2:

Have not raced in years, but would be fun to line up again and give
it a go

Hmm that is the weekend of my birthday sounds like a good present
drive up to Post and spend the day getting roosted by the pros
instead of my normal group:lol2:

Have not raced in years, but would be fun to line up again and give
it a go

You won't have to worry about getting roosted by the Pros, as they start first in their own wave. We are figuring out the course still, but nothing will be a loop in the sense that you have to complete multiple circuits. So, no worries about getting lapped either.

Some classes do not ride the full race distance, I know the over 60 and 70, not sure about some of the C classes. All the Mini (kids) classes with be on the 10th (they all ride short distances) and the adult classes on Sunday the 11th.

Full race distance has to be 78 miles at a minimum and no limit max distance. Ours will be set up as out and back loops returning to the same spot. I don't think we will have to have any loop ridden more than once. I figure we will end up with two loops close to 40 miles each, but we may throw a third short loop in depending on the total distance we come up with. Work in progress. First we have to get the Enduro all set up and mileaged and then we can see how we are going to run the H&H.

My worker group is almost finished with a new 25 mile loop. We should be done marking it this weekend. We started back before Thanksgiving. It will be part of the Saturday Enduro, and also part of the H&H the next weekend.

You won't have to worry about getting roosted by the Pros, as they start first in their own wave. We are figuring out the course still, but nothing will be a loop in the sense that you have to complete multiple circuits. So, no worries about getting lapped either.

Some classes do not ride the full race distance, I know the over 60 and 70, not sure about some of the C classes. All the Mini (kids) classes with be on the 10th (they all ride short distances) and the adult classes on Sunday the 11th.

Full race distance has to be 78 miles at a minimum and no limit max distance. Ours will be set up as out and back loops returning to the same spot. I don't think we will have to have any loop ridden more than once. I figure we will end up with two loops close to 40 miles each, but we may throw a third short loop in depending on the total distance we come up with. Work in progress. First we have to get the Enduro all set up and mileaged and then we can see how we are going to run the H&H.

My worker group is almost finished with a new 25 mile loop. We should be done marking it this weekend. We started back before Thanksgiving. It will be part of the Saturday Enduro, and also part of the H&H the next weekend.

Well if I cant get lapped how will I see how the big guys roll:mrgreen:

Re: Breaking News: AMA National Hare And Hound Coming To West Texas

Wow! :clap:

Of course now I need to buy a newer and lighter used bike, the XR400 won't do.

Going on Craigslist now to find a 250 or 300 2 stroke!

But if needed the XR4 will be excellent out there. But an excuse for a new bike is always a good thing.

The race flyers are posted up for the first two National H&H of 2018, the first of which is this weekend in CA. The two California race flyers have some good info on which classes ride what.
http://nationalhareandhound.com/wp/

We are going to have two different loops for the Texas race. Over 60, over 70, 50+ C and Women C only ride one loop. All other A, B, and C classes ride both loops. Our total race distance should be 70-80 miles, with both loops close to the same overall distance, say 35-40 miles. The loops cover our property literally from the south boundary to the north boundary, and we have a 13,000 acre property.

Mini and youth classes are run on Saturday and vary in length anywhere from a mile for the youngest up to several miles and more for the bigger kids.

As soon as our flyer is out, I will post a link.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that for the H&H National, AMA membership is required. You can sign up for a membership at the race if you prefer.

Everything is progressing well. We are looking forward to two big race weekends in a row both with the Lone Star Enduro on the weekend of 3/3 and 3/4 and the Lone Star National Hare and Hound the following weekend 3/10 and 3/11.

My crew is taking off this weekend to attend the SX in Arlington this weekend. Our trail, which will be part of the Saturday Enduro and also part of the first loop of the H&H, is race ready! Are you?

One other thing for anyone wanting to race both weekends and traveling a long way. Get with me if you want to leave a camper or a trailer, etc on our property between the first and second weekends. We will accommodate that and it might save you some fuel or open up some ride-sharing options for those who are coming from long distances.

Last edited:
Great to see you Lone Star guys step up and take this race on. I know you will put on a great race, and hope you get plenty of riders. Wish I could be there too, but I will probably have a bunch of riders at my place for that weekend.

Johnf3, hope y'all have a great turnout, hopefully the series regulars will make the trip.

Quick Race Report from The 2018 Lone Star Enduro:

Dry (four months without measurable precipitation) and warm conditions created quite a challenge, especially Sunday, for the 200+ or so riders we had each day. Saturday's course was fast and rough, and Sunday much more technical. The creek beds and sand were really deep and soft due to zero moisture.

I ran the check out of the third test Sunday. Usually you have to chicane the riders down so they don't blow through your check. No such problems Sunday. None of the riders had energy to do much more than just ride through and head straight for the bottled water we had set out.

Drew Higgins overalled both days and Cole Kirkpatrick was second.

My 21 year old (youngest) son raced for the first time ever. He signed up at the event and the only single spots not at the back were right in the middle of the AA rows. He raced row 27 Saturday and Row 24 Sunday. He was able to see Higgins and Cole attack the trail up close and personal in every test that the long and short course riders shared. He won his class both days, but Sunday he was showing signs of heat stroke. I was able to talk to him for a minute since i was working a check out Sunday and he was struggling quite a bit. I guess those AA guys helped motivate him because even with his troubles he won his class Sunday by eleven minutes. Not too bad for a first time racer riding by himself--he didn't know anyone on his row. He was riding a 2008 YZ 250 two stroke that had the original 10 year old front tire. The only race prep that poor bike got was a clean filter, some tube sealant and some chain lube. I never even checked his air pressure--he was probably the only bike there running tubes. Somehow he did not get a flat. When I got back to camp he was fast asleep in a folding chair in the shade. He has only been able to ride a dirt bike a handful of times in the last several years and Sunday being so tough caught up to him.

Sunday was a very tough race, and this weekend for the H&H will be a very tough race as well. Since there are no tests and check outs in an H&H maybe i will get to spectate a bit this coming weekend. Maybe.

Last edited:
"TSCEC Enduro
13 mins ·
Unless you have experience working at an enduro you simply can’t appreciate how much effort it takes to put on one of these events. It is absolutely necessary to give a huge thanks to the folks at Lubbock Trail Riders for a fantastic weekend. Chance Willis, Brady Robinette, Joel Prock, Maurice Welch and a host of others put aside their personal and in some cases their professional time to get this race ready. The last test closed at 3:15, the protest horn blew at 3:45 and awards were done a little after 4:00 on Sunday. That is amazing! And how about the mini race and prizes?? There were some ecstatic kids and a huge thanks to Family Powersports for those prizes and the use of their generators for the checks. Get rested up and ready for Caprock Canyons, it will be amazing as well! See you March 24th and 25th."

Looks like TSCEC liked the way y'all took care of business!

Back