• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RAM X-Mount Warning

Thanks for the heads up! I only use mine occasionally for Google maps on my phone. So if I lost my phone, I'd also be lost myself since I was using it to find my way somewhere.

Just lost a rubber for on my X mount a week ago.... But I use the girdle always.

Sorry about the loss. That bites.

Fellow pixel 2 xl owner.

beg dirt / adv Rider on a Tiger 800
pavement, no problem. dirt...? eek!

Well, after something like 7-8 years of using my x-mount daily and on cross country trips without issue, it happened to me today. Lost my pixel 2 on the 635 Texpress lane. Google confirms it's been smashed to smithereens because it can't contact it at all, and I went back through morning traffic to give another run on the Texpress lane to try to find it. No luck. :giveup:

Disclaimer - This isn't my original x-mount, I lost one in Colorado, one got moved to a four wheel vehicle, so it wasn't an 8 year old x-mount.

Where I have it mounted it's very protected from wind blast, sticking my hand in front I don't feel anything at all.

Looking back at my helmet cam it seems as if one of the little rubber pegs worked it's way up to a point where the phone didn't have tension on that leg and it flipped out of the mount. That rubber peg is also missing as well.

So yea, they offer these rubber security band things that to me wasn't worth it considering the long successful history of using the X-Mount, but as of today I'd consider it worth it. Never considered that it might vibrate up like that.

So, just a warning to the x-mount users out there, you might consider getting and using one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017STCELI/?tag=twowhetex-20

Sorry about the phone loss, hope the information was backed.

I got one after the Feb trip to Guatemala because I saw D-Mux with one
He said he Gorilla Glued those rubber pegs down tight and I thought of that when I read your post.
I have one now and I think the thing to do is to pre flight it once in a while to make sure everything is tight.
The only other idea is a creative tether of some kind.

The thought of tethered phone flying and hitting the tank . . . :eek2:

I've used the X-grip for years now. On all my motorcycles and in the cars. The rubber feet need to be glued on. Infact I'm not sure when they started putting it in the packaging because I don't remember my first X-grips having it but they now put superglue in the packaging with the mount.

After using it on my Vstrom for years beating it half to death off pavement all over the country even to the point of sending it airborne more than once the X-grip has never once wavered.

Back