• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Snatchy

morfic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
I read a lot about snatchy throttles, and it must be a bad thing, but what exactly is a snatchy throttle, it's not a term I grew up with and can't place.
My bike or the other Rotax 800s seem to have a snatchy throttle.
It's a bad thing and my bike is supposed to have it.
My bike doesn't have a bad anything about its throttle.

So what's snatchy?

Thanks for helping an ESL guy brush up his (motorcycle) English,

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to see responses to this. I've never heard that term.

c3fbcc4803bc312d9d8314c67411dd6b.jpg

225fcf524dc127cddacea819c6b930b5.jpg

Easy to provide samples.

From the fix thread being about another throttle cam, sounds like people hanging on their throttle like a "Schluck Wasser", and which bike would be fun like that in first gear?

It usually refers to the sudden power when going from off to on the throttle on an FI bike. On many bikes there's a thing called "Fuel Cut" when you go off throttle. Some bikes it's more noticeable than others. My FJR had it but I cured that 95% with a throttle tube that uses a milder cam and a power commander with a smoother fuel map. There's a tuner that has a Fuel Cut Eliminator for the second generation FZ1 and there's many other ways to reduce it on certain bikes. Newer FI bikes don't have it so much as the development continues.

I had a KTM SMT-990 that forced me to become a throttle god. Very abrupt nearly violent acceleration when going from off throttle to on. I too put a throttle tube on it and it did help some. Over time I think I just got better at "expecting" the jump and it didn't bother me much. I did enjoy that bike despite the throttle issue.

Seems I understand the term right.
I guess being a two finger on guy keeps me from experiencing it.

Get a CR500 and ride it weekly. You'll have no issues with throttle control on any other bike you ride.;-)

I have no issue with the throttle but the word :) (especially since you can't really google it)

I don't know why it's "snatchy" and not "responsive" or something else indicating how much we appreciate our bike reacting to the twist of the throttle.

Get a CR500 and ride it weekly. You'll have no issues with throttle control on any other bike you ride.;-)

I don't think it is just that bike. My YZ250 is pretty bad as well, but by far the worst one I have ever ridden was a KTM Super Duke. That thing was tough to figure out the throttle on.

But yes, I would characterize a "snatchy" throttle as one with an abrupt off/on transition area, or one with very little ramp from 0% to 100% throttle which can often have the same result as one that isn't very smooth from off to on transitions.

I wonder if the throttle has been changed in 2014, yet it kept its reputation.
Part number for 2014-2017 is different from earlier models.
At the same time I don't find any bike is truly forgiving in 1st gear, I just don't think this is unreasonable.

I describe it as abrupt acceleration, usually just off idle. Some bikes are worse than others, and I read the other day that guys that came up on FI bikes don't see the problem near as much as the guys that started with carbs. Could be what you learned on I guess. My Tenere' isn't bad, particularly as compared to others, but I'm having trouble learning how to be smooth with it and I can't be smooth in sport mode. It will likely be remapped in the future to smooth it out some.

Last edited:
I rode a XT500 for 5 years, its mixture should have been near perfect stoichiometric for a carbureted bike.
Then 20 years of nothing.
The F700GS is my first FI bike. Also first bike in 20 years.
It's just been a nice powerful bike to me. While it doesn't compare to sport bike performance, it's got easily double of what the XT had.
I appreciate the immediate throttle response. I appreciate what the bike could do even if I hardly ever take it there.

"Immediate throttle response" vs "Snatchy" seems to be a fine line

Go ride an early model FI bike like Yamaha's 2006 FZ1 or FJR. Keep the clutch lever out, roll the throttle closed, then crack it open. Even just a small amount. It goes from what feels like zero fueling to 20% nearly immediately. This isn't like hitting the pipe on a two stroke, but rather feels more like someone turned off the fuel pump and then turns it back on causing the bike to lurch a little bit. It's especially annoying if you don't need to downshift for a corner but you roll completely off the throttle, tip in and roll back on.

Newer bikes don't exhibit this nearly as much and manufacturers are figuring it out and finding better ways of handling it.

Snatchy throttle video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn8V4uiU1Js"]Dynojet Power Commander v Suzuki GSX-S1000 results - YouTube[/ame]

I have owned two bikes in the last few years with a "quick or snatchy" throttle. One was a 2014 FZ9 and the other a 2017 Z900R. Both have "Fly by wire throttles" with cables attached to potentiometers and not to carb slides. Both are obviously Fuel Injected. The fix was so easy. You know the little foam circles you buy for the grips of dirtbikes to keep you from getting blisters on your thumb? Put one of those between the throttle grip and the housing and it adds just enough friction to slow the throttle rotation down without binding the throttle operation. Also, make sure the slack is adjusted on the throttle cable to factory spec. Both bikes came with to much throttle cable slack for my tastes.

Snatchy just means an abrupt throttle response, usually referring to just off idle, or off-on throttle transitions.

As mentioned the EPA mandated fuel cutoff (injectors are turned off at 0% throttle above a certain rpm, like 1/3 of maximum) to save gas when coasting. When this happens the intake tract dries up, and it takes a second to re-wet when you re-apply the throttle, which often leads to a noticeable lag/jerk, especially on high power engines, and often moreso on twins/singles. Some bikes have much better factory fueling than others. Yamaha is notorious for having very abrupt off-idle response, but some KTM twins are pretty bad too.

Power commanders can soften this transition, actual flash tunes can simply disable the fuel cut programming and/or re-calibrate the drive-by-wire if equipped. Essentially the digital equivalent of changing the cam on the throttle tube.

Back