• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thank You, Harley Riders

Sadly, at 66, my voice betrays me and the yell really doesn't come out very well anymore. I can, however, still do a great bass line to "Blue Moon." Bop--ba-ba-bop.

Sadly, at 66, my voice betrays me and the yell really doesn't come out very well anymore. I can, however, still do a great bass line to "Blue Moon." Bop--ba-ba-bop.

I sing great inside my closed face helmet riding. Then when I take it off I sound bad. Admit it SAB and TS you sing when you ride. Hey maybe a new thread "Helmet Singing above the limit"
I was singing, I wish I was a rich man Ta da da da da da .... Watched Fiddler on the roof last night. I bet I could sing even better on an uncorked Harley!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I sing great inside my closed face helmet riding. Then when I take it off I sound bad. Admit it SAB and TS you sing when you ride. Hey maybe a new thread "Helmet Singing above the limit" ...

[highjack]Ha ha ... that's funny! Great idea! How many of us have gotten caught singing along with our ear buds at the gas station or the stop light not realizing that others can only hear us? There has got to be some funny stories. I would contribute ...[/highjack]

Last edited:
Show me a quiet Harley and I show you a unicorn :>

Dig it; a Harley withstock pipes. Now where's my Unicorn. LOL. :mrgreen:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSTis0cg0_Y"]Crazy From The Heat: Whores, Murder, And Whiskey [Motovlog #56] - YouTube[/ame]

You can definitely hang with the Harleys and the KLRs.

And with only 700ccs. Heh-heh. :-D

Even with modded baffles, I'm pretty sure my FZ-07 can compete with among the loudest Harleys. I'm not sure if I'm proud or ashamed -- or a little of both:

Tim you hooligan! That thing would drive me crazy.

[highjack]Ha ha ... that's funny! Great idea! How many of us have gotten caught singing along with our ear buds at the gas station or the stop light not realizing that others can only hear us? There has got to be some funny stories. I would contribute ...[/highjack]

I used to sing while I was racing cross country. I think it helped me to breathe better and ride with some rhythm. I have no rhythm though, so that’s probably a flawed theory.

Not so much singing, but I find myself grinning a lot. I realize I'm doing when my cheeks Start hurting.

It is our therapy, for sure. When Indian and Harley put those 750 Street Trackers on the road it will be game on. Heard Indian is close.

A couple months ago while riding my 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Special (zaffiro blue) I had a group of HD riders about break their necks trying to figure out what I was riding. One caught up with me at a Valero station out near the coast. Long Q and A session...yep, air cooled, V-twin, shaft drive, but the new Guzzis are whisper quiet. Got a few grins.

Crack the throttle on my 675 Triumph triple though: it screams.

Noise is just noise. But, it can be fun.

Here's an idea that could be a win-win. Write an app that is sensitive to your tach or throttle, then install it on your phone. When you ride, you'll need earbuds, but can have your digital exhaust volume as high as you want. To make it more interesting, give it settings, like a modeling amplifier, so that you can set it to multiple mixes of engine and pipe types. To properly hear your own digitized glorious sound through your buds, you'll of course need a helmet. Now sell it through Amazon Apps and make yourself a pile of money. So everybody wins, see?

Now, somebody go create the app. The idea is yours for free, no strings. My payment is quieter highways when I ride. Well, and you can buy me a cup of coffee sometime.... :coffee:

The first mod I made when I bought the KTM was to buy the quiet FMF silencer for it. Being heard is one thing, spooking the neighbor's cattle is another.

This reminds me... be very careful with loud pipes around horses especially if they have a rider. It can spook them. Riders can get hurt.

There are some areas I like to ride where the horses share common areas. If they are moving I just turn off the engine and wait to let them pass. My pipes are quiet but I would hate to be the reason a 9 year old was tossed.

Came across this last at the LBJ Grasslands near Decatur.

Some new cars have exhaust sound enhancing built into the interior of the car so why not something similar that you could put in your ear?

This reminds me... be very careful with loud pipes around horses especially if they have a rider. It can spook them. Riders can get hurt.

There are some areas I like to ride where the horses share common areas. If they are moving I just turn off the engine and wait to let them pass. My pipes are quiet but I would hate to be the reason a 9 year old was tossed.

It is more often the riders fault than the horse. Most riders at the the grasslands do not have a lick of horse sense and do not take the time to expose the horses to stimuli before leaving their properties.

A couple months ago while riding my 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Special (zaffiro blue) I had a group of HD riders about break their necks trying to figure out what I was riding. One caught up with me at a Valero station out near the coast. Long Q and A session...yep, air cooled, V-twin, shaft drive, but the new Guzzis are whisper quiet. Got a few grins.

Crack the throttle on my 675 Triumph triple though: it screams.

Noise is just noise. But, it can be fun.

A pic would be nice :pray:

Here's an idea that could be a win-win. Write an app that is sensitive to your tach or throttle, then install it on your phone. When you ride, you'll need earbuds, but can have your digital exhaust volume as high as you want.

That's actually a pretty bad*** idea. I'm with Tim, someone get to coding. LOL. But ultimately, exhaust volume is about increasing the likelihood that the otherwise comatose and iPhone-mesmerized cager zombies will realize you're there. Like everything else aimed at safety and visibility, it's not a perfect practice, but I'll utilize every little advantage I can come up with.

;)

Last edited:
I miss the Stebel air horn I had on my previous GS. It would wake the dead... Little kids loved it. Cell phone zombies... not so much :-P

I have seen plenty of quiet Harleys (and other cruisers). Likewise, I have seen PLENTY of non-cruiser bikes that were crazy loud.

This reminds me, back when I rode horses in SHNF, we would occasionally come across moto riders where the trails intersect. I was always impressed when the 2 wheelers would turn off their bikes and wait for us to pass by. It wasn't necessary, but it was courteous of them.

My Harley is a bit loud. ALL my neighbors hear me when I ride to work, they have even thanked me several times for waking them. Can ya hear me now! Their kids love it even more. Not bragging, but I like to be able to hear my bike, American Iron baby!!
Don't be jealous because your bike is in whisper mode!!

Last edited:
I get looks of astonishment when I crank my bike in a millisecond at a rest area with what I'm sure they are thinking "what a quiet bike", then pass them on the superslab doing 90.:thumb:

Back