• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red river battleground tour

Reaction score
Hi all. Maximus_Flavius and I have been hashing this out this evening and there is a lot of room for changes and suggestions. We are planning a run to Vicksburg, MS for March 16th-18th (tentative but pretty firm). I have created a route with sleep stops and it should be fun. We ultimately want to stay off of the superslab so its all B roads (except for post Vicksburg to West Monroe - done for expediency). The battlegrounds we intend to cover are as follows:

Pleasant Hill, LA
Port Gibson, MS
Champion Hill, MS - deleted 1/5
Vicksburg, MS
Mansfield, LA

That is the proposed order.

Day 1 start will be Waco, large breakfast followed by a boatload (imperial measurement) of riding.
I have two overnight stops set, both ending the days riding at approximately 5-6pm on days 1 and 2. Starting time will be 7:30am each day (or around there anyway), this will put us in at all of the battlefields with enough time to gawk, photograph and linger at each one.

I have not planned anything yet for fuel/pee/food stops and your input would be welcome, especially on the food. :eat:

Be warned I am a complete rookie at trip planning and if someone wants to take it and run with it that actually has a clue I will be happy to turn it over to them. (If you want to look at it PM me your email address and I will send you the link to it)

We currently have five people who have expressed interest and if anyone would like to get in on this please let us know. March is a long way away so no bookings of any kind will be made until February or so.

So with all of that said, here is the in/out list: (I will let the other interested parties sign themselves up as they figure it out)

In: BigKev72, Maximus_Flavius, Zephyr, c_m_shooter (partial to MS),centexrider(+Steve), misterk, garyra, txesq, texasrider58, dirtryder

Outer than out: Mitchntx, my6, traveldiva, LeloTX, Zephyr, rsquared.

Maybe:

Last edited:
For anyone hasn't been to the Vicksburg Military Park, it's really unbelievable. It's a huge park, with endless statues, monuments, plaques, & busts of the commanders fom both sides. Cannons are everywhere, & you can still see the zig-zag trenches that were dug during the brutal siege. Vicksburg was called "the Gibralter of the South" for good reason.

It is easy to ride an m/c thru the entire park, & is an excellent way to see everything.

They also have a Union ship there, sunk during the battle, that has since been raised & somewhat refurbished, & has a small museum attached.

https://www.nps.gov/vick/u-s-s-cairo-gunboat.htm

Last edited:
I was a Civil War living historian for many years and I did re-enactments at several of these sites. Definitely worth visiting and reflecting:chug:

I might have some input for you. I reached out to a La resident who knows all the fun back roads in those areas. I'll see what he says.

What about all the ANTIFA battle grounds?

There are freeways across the US where these brave millennials have laid down their kerchiefs ... wait ... laid down their sweat ... wait ... laid down their ... well, I'm sure they've laid down something ... they deserve something.

Last edited:
What about all the ANTIFA battle grounds?

There are freeways across the US where these brave millennials have laid down their kerchiefs ... wait ... laid down their sweat ... wait ... laid down their ... well, I'm sure they've laid down something ... they deserve something.

Only if it’s open season on those idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a route attached if anyone wants to look at it, of course its rough and nowhere near finished at this point. It also was not done in basecamp, so I am not sure if it is even any good either.

Attachments

• Vicksburg_Spring_18.gpx
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,010
The park road inside Vicksburg Military Park is 16 miles long, & has over 1,300 markers or other points of interest. Also there is a great museum / interpretive center.

The plan is to get there around on Day 2, & spend at least 4 hours there.

Revised route. Champion Hill has been deleted due to the owner of the property charging $100 per person to have a look at it. Natchez trace parkway included in the ride.

Attachments

• Vicksburg_Spring_18.gpx
    7.2 KB · Views: 443
The thought is 3 days and 2 nights or 4 days and 3 nights?
Weekdays or include a weekend?

3 days 2 nights. I have the restriction of having to start school again on that following Monday. Of course the rest of you can do as you please and stretch it out as wanted.

Spent my wonder years in Clinton Ms. Visited Vicksburg a couple of times when I was a kid. I was one of those kids that was interested in history. Y'all are right, there is tons of stuff to take in here if you only take the time to absorb it all. Would think it would be a worthy tour :clap:.

Interested in starting the trip with you, but may split off sometime in MS. I am more interested in the blues trail markers than battlegrounds.

Sounds good, I will put you on the list.

Just FYI everyone, the route will be changing again in the next couple of days, had a request to follow the battles chronology closer.

You fellers realize that is spring break, right?
Every hotel will be booked and every hotel parking lot will be filled with drunken savages.

Last edited:
That’s the only reason I can do it Mitch, I’m off on spring break too.
But I can be savage when provoked.

When I was in college, I think I cut more than I attended.

So I think yer doing it wrong ... :-P

Put me down as a strong maybe ...

Back