• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

Dropbox linky sent - enjoy!

I received your link and forgot to say thank you. So much good info in those documents!

I just purchased a stand. Since I'll be stunk inside this weekend, I was planning on taking a look at the swing arm bolt and make sure it's lubed up. Can anyone chime in on the procedure to do this?

I always remove the rear wheel and shock, takes all the tension off and makes things easier. If it is still free the job is pretty easy and straightforward. I also refer to my service manual for pics and torque specs.

Anyone here have time to provide mechanic services? After spending some time on this new to me bike and looking at all the info Philipbarett sent me, I would like to find someone who can give my bike some modifications and general tune up. I'm in Austin and will deliver the bike to you. Or if you know of a shop that you would recommend for these bikes let me know please.
:giveup:

Try Fang. Steven M. He lives in Georgetown. I never trust my wrenching to anyone else. But I gladly let Steve touch my stuff. He has 40k on his ktm 690, no issues. And 3 or 4 years experience with the xr4's big brother, the xr650. He is, like me, funemployed (retired, young, by choice) and loves bikes.

Anyone here have time to provide mechanic services? After spending some time on this new to me bike and looking at all the info Philipbarett sent me, I would like to find someone who can give my bike some modifications and general tune up. I'm in Austin and will deliver the bike to you. Or if you know of a shop that you would recommend for these bikes let me know please.
:giveup:

I've uhhh. I've been know to tinker on some XR400s, but I live near Athens TX. That said, it hasn't stopped 4 members on here from making the drive. :-)

Try Fang. Steven M. He lives in Georgetown. I never trust my wrenching to anyone else. But I gladly let Steve touch my stuff. He has 40k on his ktm 690, no issues. And 3 or 4 years experience with the xr4's big brother, the xr650. He is, like me, funemployed (retired, young, by choice) and loves bikes.

I've uhhh. I've been know to tinker on some XR400s, but I live near Athens TX. That said, it hasn't stopped 4 members on here from making the drive. :-)

Shadman, thanks for the reply. I will lookup Fang on the member list here. Nice to know there is someone in my area who is familiar with these bikes.

thrill-billy85, I'm really glad to hear you are available. I didn't want to assume you had the time to offer your services. PM me with your contact info and I'll get back to you. I will be camping at Tyler State Park Thanksgiving week, so perhaps I can deliver the bike at that time.

I still have a couple parts from my old XR4. Got a Mmoto "Whole Welded" pannier rack made for soft luggage Im selling. Was mocked up but never installed or used. Here is a pic of it from the site and it lists for $175 + $69 shipping. Ill take $130 for it. Got brand new unused Givi soft waterproof saddlebags and tail pack that retails for $199 + $99, that Ill sell as a set for $185 total. Located in E. Ft Worth. You can either pm me here or for faster response txt me at 469-432-eight 918

Still have some leftovers from my old XR4. Got a brand new Mmoto "Whole Welded" pannier rack made for soft luggage. Lists for $175 + $69 shipping. Ill take $110 for it. Got brand new unused Givi soft waterproof saddlebags and tail pack that retails for $199 + $99 for the set, I'll sell both for $110 total. Or $200 for the rack and luggage together. Located in E. Ft Worth. Please call me at 682-301-3575 if interested

Ok. Last offer, I'll sell the rack for $75 and the Givi soft luggage + tailbag for $75, or $125 together. I really need this gone its taking up space I don't have. Contact number is in last post above. This is what rack looked like mocked up on the bike. Here is the luggage, the saddlebags have been taken out of the plastic but never attached or used.

Attachments

• rack 2.jpg
    rack 2.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 218
  • luggage.jpg
    luggage.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 221
I am a bit late to the party, but recently added an xr400r to my stable. Great reading here - maybe I'll put some updates as I get mine back in fighting trim (and street plated)

I took mine out of my enclosed trailer to lend the trailer to a friend last week. Hadn't started it in 2 years because of life issues, but it fired up on the 3rd kick. I'm starting to believe that VP C-12 fuel never goes bad as they advertise.

I took mine out of my enclosed trailer to lend the trailer to a friend last week. Hadn't started it in 2 years because of life issues, but it fired up on the 3rd kick. I'm starting to believe that VP C-12 fuel never goes bad as they advertise.
I ought to buy some of that stuff to store bikes with... how does it treat metal tanks?

I’ve never had a problem with it. When it comes to metal tanks, the real killer is condensation inside the tank The only 2 options to prevent this is to keep the tank full to the top or drain it completely, leaving it open to air out. The VP gas doesn’t gum up the carb if left setting. It will just evaporate leaving practically no residue

Back