• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

So, with the TAR being cancelled, and the impending bad weather across the Hill Country, what's the plan for the Saturday ride? Just play it by ear?

Also, some folks are getting together to do the March alt route on Sunday 5-06. Starting on Hamilton Pool Road, KSU @ 9:30. All this rain should get that sand nicely packed. Not sure about the mud, though :)

So, with the TAR being cancelled, and the impending bad weather across the Hill Country, what's the plan for the Saturday ride? Just play it by ear?

Also, some folks are getting together to do the March alt route on Sunday 5-06. Starting on Hamilton Pool Road, KSU @ 9:30. All this rain should get that sand nicely packed. Not sure about the mud, though :)

I planned on riding Sunday anyway so I may meet the group at Hamilton Pool.

I have a work conflict that was going to be tough to get around so with the bad weather forecast I am just going to have to skip this one. Hopefully the next one will be better.

Riders,

I am leading a ride on Sunday. Any and all are invited to join me.

I have planned a 200 mile loop west of Austin that includes some really fun dirt roads (Threadgill Creek, Onion Creek, Salt Branch, Keyserville, Sandy Creek, etc). If it turns out that the dirt roads are too muddy to ride, then I will adjust the route accordingly.

I am stopping for lunch in Castell (bbq).

I have planned a gas stop in Llano - 135 miles from the start of the ride. If you can't make it 135 miles on one tank of gas, strap an extra gas can to your bike.

Meet me at the convenience store at the intersection of Hamilton Pool Road and Hwy 12 (our normal Saturday meeting spot) at 8:30 am. Stands up at 9 am.

This route is big bike friendly.

We will spend some (unavoidable) time on Hwy 1323 riding at 70 mph to get to the fun stuff west of Hwy 16. If there are small bikes are in attendance that can't run 70 mph, then we will put you guys together in a group (if there are enough of you) or will adjust our pace accordingly (if there are only 2-3 of you).

Here's the route in gpx format.

Riders,

I am leading a ride on Sunday. Any and all are invited to join me.

I have planned a 200 mile loop west of Austin that includes some really fun dirt roads (Threadgill Creek, Onion Creek, Salt Branch, Keyserville, Sandy Creek, etc). If it turns out that the dirt roads are too muddy to ride, then I will adjust the route accordingly.

I am stopping for lunch in Castell (bbq).

I have planned a gas stop in Llano - 135 miles from the start of the ride. If you can't make it 135 miles on one tank of gas, strap an extra gas can to your bike.

Meet me at the convenience store at the intersection of Hamilton Pool Road and Hwy 12 (our normal Saturday meeting spot) at 8:30 am. Stands up at 9 am.

This route is big bike friendly.

We will spend some (unavoidable) time on Hwy 1323 riding at 70 mph to get to the fun stuff west of Hwy 16. If there are small bikes are in attendance that can't run 70 mph, then we will put you guys together in a group (if there are enough of you) or will adjust our pace accordingly (if there are only 2-3 of you).

Here's the route in gpx format.

I'm in for this ride!

Kman

I downloaded your track. It shows straight line point to point rather than actually following the route. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is suppose to look?

Kman

I downloaded your track. It shows straight line point to point rather than actually following the route. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way it is suppose to look?
This isTrailbosses map but it works fine for me in Basecamp.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

If you don't load your GPS maps into base camp, then the route or tracks wont have anything to follow I believe. Base camp uses your GPS maps you own.
OR make sure you have the CIty Navigator map picked in the Map pull down.
If you are looking at it on your GPS be sure and have the correct map selected.
Hope that helps

Last edited:
Riders,

FYI: Saturday's regularly scheduled ride is still a go.

I can't make it Saturday so I'm leading a ride on Sunday. But Saturday's ride is still on for everyone who wants to ride Saturday. Just show up and ride. Same as always. The ride on Sunday is a bonus for those who want to ride then.

About 95% is paved.

May's route makes a loop out to Fredericksburg and back. It's about 70% typical hill country roads (paved, narrow, twisty, elevation changes, no center strip, scenic), 25% highway, and 5% dirt.

Is there a place and rough time to meet this ride along the route in Fredricksberg? (I am considering, from San Antonio)

Is there a place and rough time to meet this ride along the route in Fredricksberg? (I am considering, from San Antonio)

You will miss the bulk of the ride if you wait to join in Fredericksburg. Still, if that's where you want to meet, I suggest meeting them at the intersection of Hwy 290 and Hwy 87.

Your challenge will be time - there just isn't a good way to estimate what time any group will arrive in Fredericksburg. The group(s) will randomly stop for breaks of indeterminate amounts of time. Any sort of problems - flat tires, dropped bikes, etc - are completely unpredictable as to how long it will take a group to overcome and get moving again.

My suggestion is to meet the group at the intersection of Hwy 281 and Hwy 1323 (just north of Junction City). If the group leaves at 9 am from the start they will be at that intersection about 9:30, assuming an on time departure and no problems prior to getting there.

I imported route into base camp and then I created tracks from the selected route (right click from selection). Then I selected newly created tracks. Then I exported selected tracks into a .gpx. Imported the .gpx into Google Earth and all looks great. I use GPX Viewer on my iPhone for navigation. $.99 from Apple Store.

Kman

I'm in for Sunday, always love riding new dirt roads! Thanks for making the route big bike friendly, I really appreciate it!!!

I'm in! Thanks for making this big bike friendly, I love exploring new dirt roads!!

My suggestion is to meet the group at the intersection of Hwy 281 and Hwy 1323 (just north of Junction City). If the group leaves at 9 am from the start they will be at that intersection about 9:30, assuming an on time departure and no problems prior to getting there.

Ok, I don’t have the gps track/route and thought it was a loop out of Fredricksberg. So may just buck-up and meet at official start point in AM. Would be nice to have just this gps route posted here...

Ok, I don’t have the gps track/route and thought it was a loop out of Fredricksberg. So may just buck-up and meet at official start point in AM. Would be nice to have just this gps route posted here...

FYI: the first post in this thread has the link to download the routes.

SpiritAtBay and I will be riding a dual sport loop North out of Kerrville Sunday, May 6, to Castell then a different track back to Kerrville. We will leave from the Stripes Sunoco Gas station at 700 Junction Hwy, Kerrville, TX 76801 at 9AM.
Anyone is welcome to join in.

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-04%20at%206.47.39%20AM-XL.png

Attachments

• May6-fin.gpx
    71.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

I will be meeting up with the group at my regular spot, 1323 and 281, just north of Johnson City. This beats driving in. I'll be there gassed up and there around 9:15-9:30

Just to be clear, I'll be meeting the Sunday group at 1323. Can't make Sat. at this point.

Hi Chris, I will be going out for the Saturday Ride also, see you there!

Steve

SpiritAtBay and I will be riding a dual sport loop North out of Kerrville Sunday, May 6, to Castell then a different track back to Kerrville. We will leave from the Stripes Sunoco Gas station at 700 Junction Hwy, Kerrville, TX 76801 at 9AM.
Anyone is welcome to join in.

Well now - Back to back rides Sat & Sunday?

JT — You think the roads will not be swamped with mud from today’s soaker?

Back