• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carb issues

Ron T

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Thompson
I have an 06 Klr 650. I have done the 22 cent modification. Prior to doing the mod and after, my bike continues at a higher than normal RPM when I pull in clutch to shift gears. The cable stop on the carb is fine because I can manually race the engine and I get the same results even though the cable stop is doing its job. Also the idle is faster than normal and the big idle screw is not even touching the arm on the card. I drilled out the sealed jet and turned it out 1 3/4 turns. Any suggestions.

It's been a while since I've looked at a KLR carb. Not sure what you mean by 'cable stop'.

First thing I would check is for proper free play in throttle cables. Not sure what spec is, but you should be able to rotate the throttle grip a few degrees without revving the engine.

Second thing that comes to mind is a vacuum leak. That will create a high idle as well.

Cable stop is where the cables attach to the moving part on the side of the carb. There is a stop when completely twisting off that this part hits. Vacuum Leak? Wonder where I start?

Check the carb to manifold boot. I believe the only other connection is to the vacuum petcock, but you'd have a different set of problems.

OK, basically an idle adjustment screw.

So did you check for free play?

To check for vacuum leaks, (carefully) spray some carb cleaner around the rubber boot between the carb and head, and generally in that area with the engine running. If the engine responds, you have a leak.

Same issue on my VStrom. Perhaps turn the fast idle down a little? Might work, might not.

This may or may not solve your problem, but I recommend you replace the vacuum line to your petcock. Better yet, replace the vacuum petcock with a non-vacuum one. I bought one from Bike Bandit for under $20:

Yamaha
FUEL COCK ASSY 1

Its kinda strange that this only happens when shifting. It doesn't happen when you stop after riding and open and snap the throttle shut. It doesn't happen at idle. It doesn't happen when you start it up. If you disconnect the throttle it still doesn't happen. It only happens when shifting. Hmm. I would have guessed your throttle cable. A vacuum leak would be there all the time; at starting, idle and running and would show on the spark plug. And you've opened the throttle ALL the way and let go so it snaps shut and there is no binding? You've tried clutching and moving the throttle and no binding. You've tried moving the steering back and forth and no binding. Ok, I am stuck on binding. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Should not be that hard figuring this out. Best of luck.

I discovered a vac leak and have resolved the issue. Thanks for your reply.

Back