• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Finally got around to changing front tire. Have questions.

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Schaefer
Everything you read about getting the front wheel off the bike is right on. I have a '09 KLR 650. It's heavy and hard to get the front wheel up. Muscle and a home made kickstand would work just fine, but it definitely takes muscle.

I used a car jack jammed between my tool tube and front frame of the motorcycle.

Questions:
When I got the tire out, there were tiny white beads that came out of the valve stem. What are these?

Anyone else have the problem of riding street way too much of the time and only getting to ride dirt once in a while? So you mount a street tire and then change it BY HAND to a dirt tire for weekend riding, and then back to street tire? Complete with all the rebalancing?

Do y'all order motorcycle specific wheel weights? Mine stuck out over the edge of the tire.

Comment:
After Baja, my old Dunlap 606 front tire was TOAST. I have to say, this new Avon Gripster feels really different. Even with the Dunlop 606 rear wheel.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 154
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 151
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 141
Questions:
When I got the tire out, there were tiny white beads that came out of the valve stem. What are these?

Anyone else have the problem of riding street way too much of the time and only getting to ride dirt once in a while? So you mount a street tire and then change it BY HAND to a dirt tire for weekend riding, and then back to street tire? Complete with all the rebalancing?

Do y'all order motorcycle specific wheel weights? Mine stuck out over the edge of the tire.

1 - I'm guessing they were "Balance Beads." Some say they work, some say they don't. I'm agnostic and not sufficiently curious to try them.

2 - No. No. No. It's easier to just buy another bike with the "right" kind of tires on it. :lol2:

3 - No. You could cut the stick-on weights and put part on the other side of the spokes or, alternately, use spoke weights (probably have to order them or get some from a bike shop) or lead solder wrapped tightly around the spokes.

Yes this look like dyna beads and I just used them for the first time about 3 weeks ago in my front tire. I love them not a bounce or shimmy one now. Plus the added benefit of no ugly weights.

I'm gonna have to look into the dyna beads. Seems like a way better method than wheel weights.

These wheel weights were really hard. I cut a lot of metal with angle grinders and sawzalls, and cutting something the size of a nickel is hard.

+1 on an second bike with correct tires!
Thanks all.

Changing tires: Did you guys see the "ZIP TIE" method? You pinch the beads together with 5 Zip ies and put the tire on...(wait for it)...WITH NO TOOLS!
Check You-tube.

I'm gonna have to call BS on that! (It's easier to call BS in ignorance than go look up the video)

However, since I can't really buy a second bike with the perfect off road tires, and I'm stuck pulling my front wheel and switching them out, I'll try the zip ties next time I switch the new Avon Gripster for the new Dunlop 606.

I have to say, the Avon Gripster makes it a whole new ride.

Changing tires: Did you guys see the "ZIP TIE" method? You pinch the beads together with 5 Zip ies and put the tire on...(wait for it)...WITH NO TOOLS!
Check You-tube.

I'm gonna have to call BS on that! (It's easier to call BS in ignorance than go look up the video)

However, since I can't really buy a second bike with the perfect off road tires, and I'm stuck pulling my front wheel and switching them out, I'll try the zip ties next time I switch the new Avon Gripster for the new Dunlop 606.

I have to say, the Avon Gripster makes it a whole new ride.

I think that video was made by that guy who rolls up frying pans with his bare hands.

[ame="http://youtu.be/pA530fpWt6c"]http://youtu.be/pA530fpWt6c[/ame]

Back