• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Raw Hyde Adventure Motorcycle Training

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Morgan
A couple months ago I boarded a plane and picked up a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere from a great forum member, and rode it straight home from Corpus to Dallas. Over the past couple months the off road itch has been growing, and I am realizing I don't really know what I am doing on such a large bike in the dirt.

I came across Raw Hyde Adventure Motorcycle training and am curious if any fellow TWTexans had made the journey to CA or CO to do either of their schools, rides, or coursework. I really like the idea of a guided follow up ride directly following the course as a way of instilling the skills learned.

Has anyone taken this training? Would you recommend it? Finally, does anybody want to get a group together to go get some "higher" ed this summer?

I am shooting for either the july or august intro class with "next step" trip immediately following, and possibly a few extra days after the course exploring the rockies.

Beemerless Bob's brother Hap did two of those schools, IIRC.

It may be way more than you need. Get Hap on the phone before you put down a deposit.

I am close and easy and a lot cheaper. You can check with others on this forum for recommendations.

Brad
IXL Rider Dirt Bike School.

:tab RawHyde is good, but pricey. You are definitely paying for more than just the actual training. You are paying for the whole experience: food, riding, etc,... So if the money is not an issue, go for it. LOTS of people have done their classes and loved them. They also tend to focus on the big bikes.

:tab Ulybrad is close, cheap, and fun. Learn on a SMALLER bike first. What you learn on the small bike will transfer to the big bikes, but learning on the smaller bikes is easier and less likely to result in damage to you or the bikes. I made the mistake of staring on an 1150 GS, a big pig. I wish I had started on something like a 250.

There is an event coming up where I believe Brad will be doing a class.

Ghost's Fire and Ice Campout/IXL School, Jan 22-24
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106883

:tab I'd go to that. You will have a blast and meet some great folks. If after that, you think you still need more, give the RawHyde class serious consideration.

What he said.:thumb: Excellent advise..Brad's a hoot!

I have a great idea. Bring your bike to my house, and we'll simulate RawHyde Adventures by attaching a block and tackle to your motorcycle and winching it up a 30' rock face. It'll be realistic training because we'll serve Brie on whole wheat crackers paired with a '92 Merlot from Napa Valley.

You'll get the RawHyde vibe and save a ton of money.

Pyro,

I have taken the two Rawhyde courses and the expert only Curriculum Vitae.

Rayhyde is a first class operation with excellent instructors and a good curriculum. You will learn a lot especially in the Basic Course. You will have no trouble even on a big bike. While a bit pricey it is an "experience package". Good food, adult beverages, good accommodations, but the best part is the people you meet. For the most part these are people that can afford adventure bikes and who want to explore off the beaten trail locations. I am still riding with people I met at the classes. In addition, Rawhyde organizes adventures for these people, such as the 7 day Continental Divide Ride. Again, pricey but who has time or contacts to organize such a ride on their own?

Having said that, I also agree with Ulybrad that it is easier to learn the skills on a smaller bike. In fact, I have twice taken the course offered by Jimmy Lewis near Las Vegas. The first time I had already taken the Rawhyde courses. I learned to do some things like locking the front wheel, skid turns, panic stops, riding long stretches of sand, etc. that I had not done on my 1200GS. I took it again this year just because it was so **** much fun. $600 for two days, room not included.

No matter what you choose you cant go wrong. You've already made the right decision to get training.

Unlike my brother BeemerBob and me. After a 30 year hiatus from riding we both bought 1200GSs. We saw the BMW ads and drank the cool-aid. These bikes can go anywhere and can do anything. No where did the ads mentioned that skill was involved. But that is the subject of many other stories.

RawHyde did a 1 day freebie a few years back in Austin. It was good training, especially for the price. Also don't forget the BMW Performance Center in Greer, South Carolina. Lots of good riding before/after your training.

I have a great idea. Bring your bike to my house, and we'll simulate RawHyde Adventures by attaching a block and tackle to your motorcycle and winching it up a 30' rock face. It'll be realistic training because we'll serve Brie on whole wheat crackers paired with a '92 Merlot from Napa Valley.

You'll get the RawHyde vibe and save a ton of money.

Gawd, that gave me a big belly laugh :rofl:

Thanks for the responses!
I share the same sticker shock that many see when looking Rawhyde's pricing, but also see the advantage to have 4-5 days of instruction and guided rides and also room and board, it boils down to about 400 bucks a day from what is widely considered a world class facility and staff. In all honestly, I plan on taking a few Edelweiss tours in europe and south america in the next 10 years, so the idea of paying a little extra is not foreign to me. I have also scoured more than a few forums and just about everyone who has actually been recommends it and feels it was money well spent.

Before getting the Tenere, I did play on a klr650 for a few months off and on road, and have been riding approx 10k miles year on the street for the last 8 or so years.

Hap, thanks for your perspective and experience. Expedition CV looks like a lot of fun.

tricepilot, that was hilarious!

tourmeister, thanks for the link and the advice!

ulybrad, I think I will plan on taking advantage of your class on the 22nd if there is still room, I posted in that thread. My only bike in the stable right now is the tenere, but its got k60's and armor, so it is protected while i figure out the learning curve.

Thanks again!

Back