• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Robert (Cuznbob) Aldrich, Master Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Reaction score
Robert used to work at Lone Star BMW/Triumph. He's decided to open his own shop in Austin. I met him at the Farewell party recently and learned that he was the one that rebuilt my RT. After I bought the bike, everybody who knew Robert said I could trust his work. That was very reassuring, since the RT was a large investment.

Yesterday Carolyn (GSA) and I rode to his house and he checked the valves and sync'd the throttle bodies on our bikes. We were his first customers. We were both impressed with him, his knowledge and skill. He has all of my future BMW maintenance. I wondered where I was going to get work done when Lone Star changed hands, now I know.

He will have a commercial location soon. He's been buying equipment, tools, and everything needed to do work ranging from tire changes to major engine repair.

Cuznbob's Hill Country Motorcycles
512 424 9146

Yep, Bob worked on my bike most of the times it was in a Lone Star (not many times though). Glad to know he is going to be around for doing service.

PS. He showed up at the BBQ on a sweet looking, older BMW R bike. I just didn't know what it was. Sounded excellent, factory quiet exhaust and quiet, smooth engine.

Cousin Bob worked for us for a few years and then took a leave of absence and worked in Germany at a shop over there for a few years. He then came back to work for us. He's very good and a Master BMW Tech. Once he gets settled and word gets around I imagine he will be very busy.

+1 to that!

How long did you have to wait for the engine to cool down before he could do the valves? I thought they had to be cold-checked.

Robert started on my RT first. All that body work that gives the RT style and streamlining takes awhile to take off (and put back on). It's quite a task. He was extremely careful not to scratch the panels. I think one of them was placed on his couch. Even the gas tank had to be propped up. He put a fan in front of the bike before he started. As it was cooling down Robert did the diagnostic check and reset it. He has a laser thermometer and waited until the engine was cool enough to check the valves. It probably took more than an hour since Monday was in the 70's. Carolyn's GSA had cooled down by the time mine was finished. It's about 80% easier since no body work is removed and was finished in about a half an hour. He let Carolyn watch as he did her diagnostics and explained every question she asked. The whole process was informative and entertaining to someone like me.

Good information Robert.
Thanks.

Camilo D.

PS. He showed up at the BBQ on a sweet looking, older BMW R bike. I just didn't know what it was. Sounded excellent, factory quiet exhaust and quiet, smooth engine.

If I had to guess (and I do) I'd say it was an R80/5. Really nice bike.

Cousin Bob worked for us for a few years and then took a leave of absence and worked in Germany at a shop over there for a few years. He then came back to work for us. He's very good and a Master BMW Tech. Once he gets settled and word gets around I imagine he will be very busy.

I would be interested to know if any TRIUMPH mechanics(s) are planning on doing the same, or any local shops recommended for Triumph service!
thanks.

I would be interested to know if any TRIUMPH mechanics(s) are planning on doing the same, or any local shops recommended for Triumph service!
thanks.

Jeremy left Lone Star and went to work with Deathtrap Motorcycles. They lost their lease, and now Jeremy is working out of his home.

This was posted on Deathtrap's FB page:

Jeremy is going to continue servicing Hinckley Triumph twins. Call him directly at 512-483-1905.

Cuznbob will be working on all brands. Good for me. [emoji7] Bob was my Harley mechanic starting waaaaaay back in 1992. 22 years? Jeez.

I would also highly recommend Jeremy Sleplekis for Triumph work. He's good at it and loves those machines.

Let me correct that, I'll post shop info in the Vendor forum when I am allowed. I guess I'm still to new?

I would also highly recommend Jeremy Sleplekis for Triumph work. He's good at it and loves those machines.

I have a friend who is looking for a good Triumph mechanic. How can I put him in touch with Jeremy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back