• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW tire changes?

djw

Reaction score
Now that the most helpful member mellow is out of the changing business with his NoMar, any recommendations on inexpensive and ding-free tire changing that does not require a tire purchase?

This month sometime I need to get around to reskinning a set of unblemished marchesini wheels that I am hoping remain unblemished. Doing the front with spoons by hand is a three advil exercise for me, but attempts at the rear tires are beyond what I seem to be able to accomplish.

This month it is tubeless, but I need to get after the old britbike tube tires one of these days. I'd just have wheels pulled.

What happened to Mellow? I must have missed that thread.

Also, there is this guy in South Arlington that mounts and balances tubeless tires for the paltry sum of dinner at Firehouse (or Rudy's as soon as it's opened). If only he would post up in this thread.:trust:

I wonder who that would be :)

Mellow's post just dropped off or was deleted in the tire changing subforum. I did not ping him, but I presumed he did not want to anymore since the post was gone, maybe I'm wrong. There were several tire bikes in various stages of dismemberment in his garage keeping his weekend pretty busy when I was last over a year ago with my fat rear... tire.

I have no tires in hand yet and have not pulled wheels as it takes me a bit of scratching to work up to a project.

Also, there is this guy in South Arlington that mounts and balances tubeless tires for the paltry sum of dinner at Firehouse (or Rudy's as soon as it's opened). If only he would post up in this thread.:trust:

He can also be paid with PeiWei. :)

And, you may be lucky enough to play with Max, too!

But that dude is hard on the paint...:-P

Mellow's post just dropped off or was deleted in the tire changing subforum. I did not ping him, but I presumed he did not want to anymore since the post was gone, maybe I'm wrong. There were several tire bikes in various stages of dismemberment in his garage keeping his weekend pretty busy when I was last over a year ago with my fat rear... tire.

I have no tires in hand yet and have not pulled wheels as it takes me a bit of scratching to work up to a project.

Strange thing, he was always quick to reply up about his tire changing. But I can completely understand if he was getting overwhelmed by it. That's why the guy I'm thinking of doesn't have a post up in the tire changing forum.;-)

Let me know when you have a tire ready and I can get you in contact with him.:trust:

But that dude is hard on the paint...:-P

Well, he had a string of tire changes from someone (he wouldn't say who), who was doing track days almost every weekend and needing tires almost every week. He told me something about just being too tired from all the constant changes, and had a slip of the hand. :lol2:

Well, he had a string of tire changes from someone (he wouldn't say who), who was doing track days almost every weekend and needing tires almost every week. He told me something about just being too tired from all the constant changes, and had a slip of the hand. :lol2:

I can see it quickly becoming a thankless job

Really? Perhaps the belly full of burger made it hard to concentrate...:-P

DFW tires: I use Texas Supersport in Plano. $25 on-bike/per tire, both tube & tubeless. You can bring tires in or have them order. Prices are about 15% less than Cycleger.

Cycle Gear in Hurst area is off bike only.

Do any of them around take them on the bike?

Cycle Gear in Hurst area is off bike only.

Do any of them around take them on the bike?

I've heard Biker's Bay in Bedford (off Harwood & 121 now) will. No personal experience though.

I have tires in hand and plan to roll-in with the wheels still on the bike.

NE Tarrant Cycles quoted me $135 :eek2:
GV Kawi Polaris $104
Bikers Bay $100

I was anticipating a number closer to $75-$80 for the pair...
Are my expectations really that far off?

Anyone planning a tech day that has a tire changer? (and an impact wrench so I can change my front sprocket) :rider:

ETA: Anyone have any experience with A&R in Haltom City?... Their web site quotes $35/each, which is about what I expected.
http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/store/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=32

I have tires in hand and plan to roll-in with the wheels still on the bike.

NE Tarrant Cycles quoted me $135 :eek2:
GV Kawi Polaris $104
Bikers Bay $100

I was anticipating a number closer to $75-$80 for the pair...
Are my expectations really that far off?

Anyone planning a tech day that has a tire changer? (and an impact wrench so I can change my front sprocket) :rider:

ETA: Anyone have any experience with A&R in Haltom City?... Their web site quotes $35/each, which is about what I expected.
http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/store/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=32

Those prices aren't too far out of line. Most shop rates are between $65-105 /hr and to pull, dismount, mount, balance, and remount, you are looking at well over an hour if the tech knows what he is doing.

I pretty much stopped doing it for folks because I was getting quite a few that had no interest in learning how to work on their bikes, they just wanted someone else to do it but not have to pay for it. So now my rate for outright changing tires is $50 per wheel. If they want to learn, get dirty, and be a part in it, the cost goes down quite a bit.

Transpomgr, that's a good price for wheels off the bike, wheels on, that's an AMAZING deal.

I'll have to give Two Wheeled World a call, since I have a front tire I need mounted. I had planned on just bringing the wheel in.

I won't bother Bill, since I know he has an injured hand right now. :mrgreen:

Back