• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Bandit

Reaction score
Not sure when I posted here last. I’ve had three 1250 bandits since 2009. A few diff bikes in between. Keep coming back for what I consider light weight, good performance, and all around usefulness from touring with hard bags and doing 500 mile days to riding the twisty roads for a few hours in the weekend. I bought this one in 2015 and have been to the dragon twice on it (from NJ/PA), Americade, and Blue Ridge Parkway. Roads in PA are no slouch either. Hate to see the limited popularity of this bike and forum decrease any further. Edit: I guess this means I’m officially old.

Last edited:
Son...I'm 66 yrs young and i love this 1250S..its a beast..and it is as versatile as you have said.. I keep lusting for heavier sport touring machines with shaft drives and full fairings..but they weigh in more than i care to juggle..500lbs is just right and the 1250S mill is undoubetdly one of the very best engines in all of motorcycledom...I've only owned mine 8 months... so I am late to the table..so to say...but better late than not at all..I'm here in Nc and we do have some of the very best roads in the country..the whole SE region with the Blue ridge and Smoky Mtns is hard to beat for 2 lane mtn twisties..The Bandit was made for this....:rider:

Last edited:
Its funny I was recently yet again looking for something cheap, fun and as reliable as these bikes as a "upgrade". Not really much other there so I'm sticking with mine. Its paid off and she just turned over 69k last week! :)

I just bought back an 07 that I sold 10 years ago. (he only put on 2k miles) It amazes me how little interest there is, and the poor resale value. I love the engine!! Before finding my old one, I found an 07 with 1600 miles at a dealer, and one with 2k from a private party. I don't ride near as much these days, even tho' I'm retired, but 1600 miles on a 2007? What a waste. I was trying to find a '15 or newer Versys to replace my aging WeeStrom, and hope to still get one later in the season, but for now....the Bandit will keep me active correcting 10 years worth of neglect.

I went to Americade this year in Lake George, NY and had a chance to do a few demo rides. While I'll always be interested in cruisers, all of the Japanese brands seem to only make middleweight cruisers or big honking fully faired touring cruisers. If you want cruiser variety you have to consider Indian or Harley Davidson and those price tags seem awfully high to me. Anyway, my point is, I still haven't found another bike that I like as much as the Bandit, not that I'm looking.

And how cool is that dmerc to buy back your very same bike 10 years later! I had two previous Bandits, both blue but different shades, and on my current red Bandit I miss the color matched luggage inserts. I traded those first two Bandits for other bikes too early, didn't appreciate what I had at the time. Also, I'm a member of the "more money than brains" club. For my current red bike, I still had the blue inserts and luggage so I sanded them down and painted them all black with truck bed liner. It's not a professional job, but I'm happy with it. Here's a pic from two weeks ago, my 2016 with about 7500 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Very nice!! I love the black engines even more!! Apparently they didn't make Bandits after 2010, until 2016?? Not real clear on the timeline. I also had a black 07 a few years back that I bought simply because it was too dang cheap. It was a beauty, absolutely spotless, and well cared for. I only rode it a few times, then sold it. My Kawi Voyager XII was the love of my life back then. lol But at 64, I've given up on touring bikes.....just too heavy for my old,spindly legs! :D

Hey, yeah, I think they stopped from 2010 to 2016, though they did release a touring model for a few years maybe in Canada and elsewhere with the bags. First pic is my 2008 in blue that I had for 2 years. Second pic is my 2009 that I had for 3 years. You can tell the diff by the front forks. The 2008 has silver forks, engine, and swingarm. The 2009 has black forks and black swingarm. And that is a different shade of blue between them. In 2008 or so you could still buy the inserts from Suzuki. I do agree that the black on red looks good for the 2016, but the all back 2016 model was just too much black. P.S. My dealer has sold exactly one Bandit in the past 4 years - to me!

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 294
I saw a used all black,full dressed/faired 16 last year at a local dealer. I only saw pics, not in person, but I really liked it. It was a decent price too....5700 as I recall. Was hoping to see one this year, but no such luck. Just checked Wiki on Bandit timeline....says the U.S. had a 2011, then reintroduced the GSX 1250 FA touring in 2015. But I've never seen an 11 or 15, so must've been very limited production. Amazes me that Bandits never really became as popular as I think they should have. What's not to like?.....yet resale value is awful.

I am reasonably certain that the Bandit was produced from 2007 through 2016 - although I'm not as sure it was sold in the States that entire time.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
My boss hates "yes" men, and I have to agree with him.

According to wiki: (For the US market)
In September 2009 it was announced [21] that 2010 will see the release of the GSX1250FA in Europe. It has the same engine and chassis as before, but a full fairing will make it similar in style to the smaller GSX650F.
The standard 1250A and 1250SA models for 2010 will feature a black engine.[22]
GSX1250FA remains unchanged from 2010 but comes to the US as a 2011 model.
Suzuki reintroduced the GSF1250SA Bandit with a new half-fairing designed to wrap around the radiator shrouds, and added a front vent below the headlight to smooth out airflow behind the fairing.[23][24]

added via edit: In some markets, including both the UK and US, Suzuki has dropped the 'Bandit' name for the GSX1250 models.[25] Produced from 2010 and last appearing as a 2012 model, it is essentially a fully faired version of the Bandit 1250 with top and side cases, windshield and more in its accessories list. Together with its partially faired model sibling it got a CARB certification and should return to the US market as a 2016 model.[26]

Last edited:
I'm confused, as per usual! lol

I think you're about right; it wasn't sold in the US, apparently, for 2012-2014. It was sold in Europe, and returned to the States in 2015. It has always been more popular in Europe than here, for some reason. I myself have only owned Suzukis (since 1976), and love the 'UJM'. I too don't understand why it is not more popular, but I will likely not own another bike the rest of my riding days.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
My grandfather has the heart of a lion, and a lifetime ban from the San Diego Zoo.

I myself have only owned Suzukis (since 1976), and love the 'UJM'.

I've had 3 Vstroms (2-1k's, and now a Wee) and this is my 3rd time with a 1250 , but my heart belongs to Kawasaki. The Wee doesn't know it, but it is on my endangered list!! I've got to have a Kawi in the barn, period! And I don't have the space or budget anymore for 3 bikes.

I've had 3 Vstroms (2-1k's, and now a Wee) and this is my 3rd time with a 1250 , but my heart belongs to Kawasaki. The Wee doesn't know it, but it is on my endangered list!! I've got to have a Kawi in the barn, period! And I don't have the space or budget anymore for 3 bikes.

Glad to know I'm not alone in having the same bike multiple times. Which Kawasaki are you considering?

Glad to know I'm not alone in having the same bike multiple times. Which Kawasaki are you considering?
Been looking for a 2015 or newer Versys 650. They're totally upright, with plenty of legroom, like my VStrom. I don't like the newer VStroms, or the older Versys with the skinny headlights. BTW, I also had 3 Kawi Voyager XII's, but gave up on those, too heavy now.

I had a V-Strom in 2007 for a little while, a DL1000. I remember the sales guy saying something like “You should check out the Bandit for comparison” and I was like “No way”. I know what you mean about the V-Strom. I never did any long distance touring on it, but it was one of the most comfortable bikes I owned. Only had it for about 3 months, then I upgraded to a Honda ST1300 which I kept for almost 9 years. You could really stretch out on the V-Strom. I don’t care for the current ones and never felt a desire to buy one again. They are kinda pricey these days, too. The Versys seems reminiscent and I’ve heard good things about those.

I actually bought an ST1300 this spring,an 05 with 15k miles. Rode nice, plenty of power, but so heavy! I sold it about a month ago. I tend to buy garage queens, but then get stuck doing all the maintenance that was ignored. Flushing the brakes on the ST was a pain. I'd never had linked brakes, so it was a lot worse than I expected.

Yeah, you know what, the ST1300 is Honda's most top-heavy bike, maybe a top 10 of all motorcycles, but I went in with the idea of it being a "luxury motorcycle" like a Goldwing Lite. With half of the gas tank under the seat I never paid any attention to those top heavy comments but everyone who rode my bike said it was so top heavy, a friend bought one, dropped it in the driveway because it was top heavy. Overall, it was also a "heavier" bike. I say heavier because I think it was 725 wet and I've owned Goldwings and Nomads and VTX1300 which were all much, much heavier, approaching 800 and 900 pounds, and most didn't make as much power as the ST did. I chuckle when I see people complain about the Bandit being heavy at 551 pounds wet.

I bought my first Bandit while I had that ST, and the ST didn't get ridden often after that. I finally learned after 20 years that most of my riding is pleasure riding on the weekends, a few hours at a time, and I'd rather have a bike that I'm happy with, say, 50 weeks out of the year and I'll deal with its shortcomings for the 2 weeks of touring riding far from home. The only real complaint I have about the Bandit is the seat. This Spring I found a new Suzuki tour gel seat (looks stock with a weave pattern on the rider portion) and that helps. I also have an Airhawk cushion that helps, but would like to find a comfortable seat. What are you guys doing for a seat?

Every bike I buy, I immediately see a much better buy within a few days. THIS, is the Bandit I was looking for. Pretty rare, and always far away. Now this one pops up on C/L, a few hours away, w/18k miles, for $3900. I could just scream!!!!! 🤬

Every bike I buy, I immediately see a much better buy within a few days. THIS, is the Bandit I was looking for. Pretty rare, and always far away. Now this one pops up on C/L, a few hours away, w/18k miles, for $3900. I could just scream!!!!! 🤬

View attachment 238834

Looks nice but it's too much black for me. Why do you keep looking after you buy a bike?

Looks nice but it's too much black for me. Why do you keep looking after you buy a bike?

Why? Because I'm an addict!! :lol2: Plus, I'm still watching for a Versys to replace the VStrom. Yes, it's a lot of black, but some tasteful graphics would brighten it up. Maybe 'Busa kanji graphics on each side? lol Actually, black is the only color I've ever seen on these.....may be the only available?

Last edited:
Back