• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Namaste from Jammin in Austin

Jammin

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Howdy folks! Just moved to Austin. Good to be back in the US of A after a few years of riding the world and then living in India.

A little background: I'm from south India, grew up in Zambia, then came to the states to study mechanical engineering (did a masters at A&M from 03-04), then was based in Chicago. I got bit bad by the motorcycle touring bug and with a Suzuki GSX-R600, started exploring this grand country from West Virginia to Montana. I know, the GSX-R is not the best bike for touring but it was a 'ride what you got' feeling. I loved that bike! Put 50,000 miles in 4 years, including a bunch of track days.

Then the Adventure Motorcycling bug got hold of me and my love for the Suzuki DR650 started. Flew down to Tucson to pick up my first DR and rode her back to Chicago. Then down to Mehico, up to Alaska, and down the Continental Divide. I was dreaming and planning to stay on the road for a long time and it finally happened in 2010.

In March 2010, I quit the job, sold the house, car, and everything else that wouldn't fit on my DR650, named sanDRina, and we started riding. We went through Central America, South America, took a cargo ship across the Atlantic, criss-crossed Europe, ferry to Egypt, then down to Kenya, took a long break, continued down to South Africa, ship to India and a final leg through the Himalayas before ending the trip in New Delhi in June 2013. All in all, it was about 64,000 miles across 33 countries with only 6 flat tires. The journey was everything and more than I imagined a life on the road would be. I kept an active ride report thread on ADVrider and met so many wonderful people along the way and spent wonderful time in solitude in some remote places.

With the journey's end, it took me a few months to get back into the groove of our global society and after a few more months, I launched Jammin Global Adventures, curating motorcycle trips in far off places such as Kenya, Mongolia, Myanmar, India, and Peru.

I met my future wife in Delhi - she's from Dallas - and because of what the air pollution in Delhi was doing to her, I launched a startup to provide low cost air purifiers to help people live with the extremely bad air in many parts of India. She's just started a PhD at UT Austin and I'm working with another air quality startup now.

I'm slowly getting settled in - still need to get a Texas license. And I'm on the hunt for some new bikes and riding friends here in central Texas. Might get another DR650 or might get something smaller and lighter. Any suggestions?

And if you're in Austin or around here, message me for some :chug:
I see that I just missed the monthly meetup. I'll be there for the next one.

001b-L.jpg

Starting off from Chicago in 2010.

i-8VXkQR5-L.jpg

Route map of the journey.

i-rtnMCth-L.jpg

Crossing the Darien Gap

i-bktGs5K-L.jpg

Sleeping with the pigs in Bolivia.

i-fNgP4MQ-L.jpg

Snakes in Ethiopia! I was planning to camp that night.

i-wth6gVQ-L.jpg

Jungle riding in Uganda.

i-Dgkb9rb-L.jpg

Hidden stump in the sand got me in Mozambique.

i-nTRFGdV-L.jpg

At Khardung La, one of the highest motorable passes in the world. It's actually only around 17,400 ft, not 18,000.

i-f9dFV3Z-L.jpg

End of journey rally in Delhi organized by the local riding clubs.

i-hc4WvPs-L.jpg

Enjoyed riding this gorgeous Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo for a few years in Delhi.

KE-27-L.jpg

Kenya tour on KLRs.

i-86QbRCW-L.jpg

On the way to Presidio and Mehico in 07.

i-NWbQT3R-L.jpg

Crossing the Great Divide Basin, Wyoming on the CDR in 09.

If you want to see more photos from the journey: http://jamminglobal.com

Oh and I'll be going for the Formula 1 race next weekend in Austin. If any of you are going to be there, let's meet up.

Aloha and welcome to TWT. You did what others only dream of,selling it all and traveling the world. Make sure to visit the forum area and you will find all future ride events in the Upcoming Ride section. Hope to meet you in person down the road. KP

Namaste from Waco and welcome. Hope to meetup sometime soon!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Welsome to glad to have you aboard. You've led one heck of a motorcycling life so far :)

Welcome! Habari yako? Used to live in Nairobi - maybe take a ride and trade stories over lunch sometime? I have an R1200GS and a KTM 500 you could try. PM me if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome, and excellent first post!

If you're up for some last minute travel, a bunch of us are meeting in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for some riding on Friday and Saturday.

Welcome to Austin. The heat is decreasing , riding times ahead .
You can meet a few of us at Billy's on Burnet road every Thursday. Around noon.

Last edited:
Aloha and welcome to TWT. You did what others only dream of,selling it all and traveling the world. Make sure to visit the forum area and you will find all future ride events in the Upcoming Ride section. Hope to meet you in person down the road. KP
Thanks, KP. And I'm going to try to make it for this Sunday.

Namaste from Waco and welcome. Hope to meetup sometime soon!
Howdy!

You look similar to a guy who stayed at our house once...
You look similar to someone who served me pizza in the driveway once... :-P
Hi, Bob :wave: Can you believe, that was 10 years ago? I was such a whipper snapper then.

Welsome to glad to have you aboard. You've led one heck of a motorcycling life so far :)
Gracias.

Welcome! Habari yako? Used to live in Nairobi - maybe take a ride and trade stories over lunch sometime? I have an R1200GS and a KTM 500 you could try. PM me if you like.
Nzuri, asante! Awesome forum handle. I was muindi. Yes, let's go find some nyama choma :eat:
I'd like to try that 500. Let's plan on it.

Welcome, and excellent first post!

If you're up for some last minute travel, a bunch of us are meeting in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for some riding on Friday and Saturday.
Nice, I'm always up for last minute travel but lacking wheels and a bonafide license at the moment (got to wait a few more weeks for that).

Not like not having a license has stopped me from riding before but a birdy told me I better follow the rules here, haha. After years of riding like a hooligan in India, Africa, and Latin America, it's going to be tough to stay within the white lines! :mrgreen:

Welcome to Austin. The heat is decreasing , riding times ahead .
You can meet a few of us at Billy's on Burnet road every Thursday. Around noon.
Thanks, mate. Oh, how timely. I'll be there at Billy's today.

Dead gum! You certainly have lived the dream! How awesome. I'll definitely check your adv thread.

Welcome to lil ole TWT, hope you aren't bored here!

Nzuri, asante! Awesome forum handle. I was muindi. Yes, let's go find some nyama choma :eat:

I'd like to try that 500. Let's plan on it.

The 500 is under continuous modification but here’s how it looks ATM. please send me a pm with your contact info and we’ll plan something.
fef9b9d2a852660baaaa372486598348.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Holy cow! I'm going to quit bragging about my adventure rides all the way to the other side of Ft Worth and back. I'm glad you reported your adventures over on ADVRiders. Anyway, welcome to TWT.

Met your wife in Delhi? Those Dallas girls really get around, don't they?

Dead gum! You certainly have lived the dream! How awesome. I'll definitely check your adv thread.

Welcome to lil ole TWT, hope you aren't bored here!
Thanks, Gina! Won't be bored. Looking to be a part of the community and maybe push a few riders on the brink over the edge and get them riding to Ushuaia :rider:

The 500 is under continuous modification but here’s how it looks ATM. please send me a pm with your contact info and we’ll plan something.
Ooooh, she's a beaut. Sending info.

Welcome to the site! :wave:
Thanks, Scott. And thanks for all the hard work in keeping this community going :clap:

Holy cow! I'm going to quit bragging about my adventure rides all the way to the other side of Ft Worth and back. I'm glad you reported your adventures over on ADVRiders. Anyway, welcome to TWT.

Met your wife in Delhi? Those Dallas girls really get around, don't they?
Hehe, I do have stories to last a life time now :mrgreen:

They do! When we're up in DFW next, I'll let you know.

Also, great to have met some of the members at lunch today at Billy's.

Welcome to Cen-Tex Jay....followed you back in the day on ADV...yeah you were livin Large...hope you still have some adventure left in ya.
Gotta dig up your curry chicken recipe I wrote it down somewhere.
Hope to get to meet ya soon my man.

Jay, it was nice meeting you at the lunch at Billy's. Quite an adventure you had with that trip around the world! Heading over to ADVRider to check out the whole story. Hope you get 2 wheels transportation soon.

Welcome to Cen-Tex Jay....followed you back in the day on ADV...yeah you were livin Large...hope you still have some adventure left in ya.
Gotta dig up your curry chicken recipe I wrote it down somewhere.
Hope to get to meet ya soon my man.
Heya, James. Hah, yeah, cook up that chicken curry - tried and tested on the road :eat:
And yup, still have lots of adventuring to do. Would love to do TAT and more trail riding but need to take care of my right knee first before going gung ho offroad.

Jay, it was nice meeting you at the lunch at Billy's. Quite an adventure you had with that trip around the world! Heading over to ADVRider to check out the whole story. Hope you get 2 wheels transportation soon.
Hey Steve, great meeting ya.

Welcome from the Southwest contingent, and no, I don't mean the SXSW contingent. :rofl:
Ah, an exile from Arizona! Haha. On my way out of the US on my RTW trip, my last night was in the little town of Ajo, south of you. I was looking for a small border crossing into Mehico.

i-NGs6LM7-L.jpg

Heading out of Phoenix

Howdy!

Back