• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Now THATS interesting???? Versys X

Changed his mind, apparently. No longer for sale.

250/300 adv's look like the next in thing. Personally, I'd rather Kawi bring back an updated KLX250R instead. If I'm buying a small displacement bike with off-road ambitions, I prefer a real DS.

Still can't see myself road riding a 1/4 litre.

12646727_the-2017-kawasaki-versys-x-300-might-be_fe0cfcf1_m.jpg

This bike has me really jazzed! It weighs around 370 pounds and has a cruising range of around 250 miles according to a RevZilla review. This new Versys sounds much more appealing than the plump African Twin and the the behemoth Tenere.

RB

I sat on one in Georgetown.....looks like a nice bike! :sun:
Judging from the ground clearance and fairly lightly built footpegs it is a streetbike and no where near a KLR replacement...:sun:

Judging from the ground clearance and fairly lightly built footpegs it is a streetbike and no where near a KLR replacement...:sun:

Same here but sat on one in Killeen at the Kawasaki shop close to my work. It is taller than the Connie and BMW but only by a inch. Not sure if it will ever replace the workhorse KLR.

I like the idea of the twin for smoothness but think a 400 cc would be more ideal. We will see I have been looking at reviews and it seems to be well liked.

The more I think about it the more tempting it becomes. Look away look away. Nothing to see here.:trust:

I sat on a Versy X last weekend and a Honda CB500X. Both bikes are really designed for street. The Versys has tube tires, the Honda tubeless. That would be the deciding factor for me to choose the Honda. I like the ease of plugging a flat plus the Honda's seat is softer. I'm going to be on asphalt most of the time. The nineteen inch front wheel on the Kawasaki will be good on gravel roads but the Honda 300 Rally's 21 inch front tire is even better.

Smaller, lighter, easier to handle bikes appeal to me right now.

I sat on a Versy X last weekend and a Honda CB500X. Both bikes are really designed for street. The Versys has tube tires, the Honda tubeless. That would be the deciding factor for me to choose the Honda. I like the ease of plugging a flat plus the Honda's seat is softer. I'm going to be on asphalt most of the time. The nineteen inch front wheel on the Kawasaki will be good on gravel roads but the Honda 300 Rally's 21 inch front tire is even better.

Smaller, lighter, easier to handle bikes appeal to me right now.

Which one are you trading in?:deal: Did not even think about tires Robert. Humm back to the drawing board.:doh:

There is one dude on ADV that replaced his with full Ohlins and was bragging about the amazing finesse the bike has...

:lol2:

It is still a 300 cc engine.

To me the best replacement for a KLR or the middle portion of the dual-sport segment is the Honda Rally Raid kit conversion of the CB500X. Outstanding package indeed! They don't seem to come up for sale at all.

RB

Do you think that is what Kawasaki is thinking? Wish they would bring the KLE 500 over here that they sold in Europe. Don't think they are making it any more but they look sweet.

Do you think that is what Kawasaki is thinking? Wish they would bring the KLE 500 over here that they sold in Europe. Don't think they are making it any more but they look sweet.

Thanks for the commute video... And, I like the idea of this little bike, agree that it will make a bunch of folks happy.....:sun:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINyNWwFvFk"]Honda CRF250L Rally vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300: The Summer the Coast was Closed | ON TWO WHEELS - YouTube[/ame]

Kawasaki Versys X vs Honda 250 Rally.

The Versys did surprisingly well in the dirt.

Drew, you need a Versys.

Last edited:
Drew, that was a great video. He points out one characteristic that I find hard to live with: absolutely no bottom end torque. The engine does do well from nine thousand to twelve thousand. I guess riding it would keep one alert as to which gear was needed for a strong forward push. That's like a Honda S2000 sports car. It's whole power band was from 7-9000 rpm. Be in the right gear or nothing happened. The 300X is two hundred pounds lighter than my big three motorcycles. That sparked my interest. But that's it's only advantage. I agree with him to seat is ridiculously hard. I think Kawasaki is targeting beginning street riders. It's a hundred pounds or so lighter than your GS but otherwise I see no advantage.

well it is just two 150cc holes, 62mm bore by 49mm stroke or 2.4" X 1.93" in Merican.
the Honda RC166 race bike from the 60's had a stroke of just 31mm

Drew, that was a great video. He points out one characteristic that I find hard to live with: absolutely no bottom end torque. The engine does do well from nine thousand to twelve thousand. I guess riding it would keep one alert as to which gear was needed for a strong forward push. That's like a Honda S2000 sports car. It's whole power band was from 7-9000 rpm. Be in the right gear or nothing happened. The 300X is two hundred pounds lighter than my big three motorcycles. That sparked my interest. But that's it's only advantage. I agree with him to seat is ridiculously hard. I think Kawasaki is targeting beginning street riders. It's a hundred pounds or so lighter than your GS but otherwise I see no advantage.

I guess I need to ride one and see what I think. Light is starting to really appeal to me.:rider: I am week to Kawasaki lime green.:giveup: Wonder of Kawasaki will do any upgrades on it or will the X be like the Connie or KLR and updated rarely?

Drew, light and cheap are two wonderful attributes. I did the tidler "race" at the CASA Rally on a loaner. It was on a composite (five different bikes) 100cc Honda in Arkansas recently. We rode somewhere around 180 miles in about five hours with lots of stops. It was a enough time to get used to the little Honda's size, weight (180 pounds?), cg, kickstarter, and speed. Let's say I was able to see individual trees going up steep hills. It was a blast, especially when I challenged a 125 cc scooter on the backside of the loop back to Rich Mountain. The little Honda was so light that when I picked my Bandit off the kickstand for the ride to Russellville, I couldn't believe how heavy a 570 pound bike plus camping equipment is.

I'll have to confess that I found air under my right boot at a stop light in Russellville. The road was contoured enough that when I reacted to my leaning to the right, it was too late. To compound my embarrassment, the 570 pound bike plus my traveling gear was resting on my boot and I couldn't get up. Fortunately, about five cars couldn't continue without raising my napping bike and getting it's clumsy rider out of their way. Nothing like having a bunch of concerned young people ask if the white haired antique rider was OK. I had all my gear on. What could go wrong?

The Versys 300 is looking more reasonable with it's little bike characteristics. Three hundred eighty four pounds is two, ninety two pound sacks of cements tied to a bike less in mass then my three main machines.

My thinking now is that inner tube tires are OK. Can you think of a $6,000 dollar OTD, under 400 pound, used or new, windshield equipped bike that better matches the Verys's talents?

Last edited:
Drew, light and cheap are two wonderful attributes. I did the tidler "race" at the CASA Rally on a loaner. It was on a composite (five different bikes) 100cc Honda in Arkansas recently. We rode somewhere around 180 miles in about five hours with lots of stops. It was a enough time to get used to the little Honda's size, weight (180 pounds?), cg, kickstarter, and speed. Let's say I was able to see individual trees going up steep hills. It was a blast, especially when I challenged a 125 cc scooter on the backside of the loop back to Rich Mountain. The little Honda was so light that when I picked my Bandit off the kickstand for the ride to Russellville, I couldn't believe how heavy a 570 pound bike plus camping equipment is.

I'll have to confess that I found air under my right boot at a stop light in Russellville. The road was contoured enough that when I reacted to my leaning to the right, it was too late. To compound my embarrassment, the 570 pound bike plus my traveling gear was resting on my boot and I couldn't get up. Fortunately, about five cars couldn't continue without raising my napping bike and getting it's clumsy rider out of their way. Nothing like having a bunch of concerned young people ask if the white haired antique rider was OK. I had all my gear on. What could go wrong?

The Versys 300 is looking more reasonable with it's little bike characteristics. Three hundred eighty four pounds is two, ninety two pound sacks of cements tied to a bike less in mass then my three main machines.

My thinking now is that inner tube tires are OK. Can you think of a $6,000 dollar OTD, under 400 pound, used or new, windshield equipped bike that better matches the Verys's talents?

Hope you are okay with no broken bones?

Not hurt a bit. I was sweating in the summer Arkansas heat in all my hi Viz gear. In fact, my yellow, textile pants insulated my leg from the muffler heat. But, nothing to insulate my embarrassment.

That is good news,lucky there wasn't a creek near by.:eek2:

Indian women wear Saris. Indian women, traditionally, don't ride anything. They sit in back side saddle with one foot on the peg. By law every bike must have a Saris guard.

What is funny is Indian made Hero brand in latin america with Saris guard and indian front plate mounts. And the Salvadoranians are like, "Uh, I dunno why, just has it."

Motorcycle riding in India is empowering women. Makes a statement against the old ways. Blue skinny jeans, leather jackets. If you google it, pure hotness, lol.

Last edited:
Back