• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Super Tenere Test Ride - Central TX

Reaction score
So, long story short, I think I jumped the gun on the purchase of my FJ-09 a little less than a year ago. My last two bikes (Bandit 1250 and NC700X) I've kept for 5 years or more, put almost 60k miles on each and thoroughly enjoyed both. The FJ is a hoot and a half to ride -- it's fast, comfy and good on my commute. I really don't know what it is, but it doesn't quite speak to me like I want.

Before I bought it, I was really lusting after a Tenere. I talked myself out of it on the logic that I don't do much off-pavement and what little I do the FJ can easily handle. The lighter weight and sporty engine combined with finding a leftover 2015 on discount and I pulled the trigger on an FJ-09.

Well, here I am a year later and I can't get a Tenere out of my head. On paper, sitting on one in a showroom, it's exactly what I want. But, I've never ridden one :rider:. There's a demo day in Hurst this weekend that I can't make, and there's another next weekend in Allen that I could probably hustle up there for. But if I'm honest, riding to/from Allen from Austin in August doesn't sound like a great day.

Is there anyone in Central Texas that wouldn't mind me throwing a leg over their Super 10 and taking it for a short ride around? You'd be more than welcome to hop on my FJ and lead or follow. Nothing long and time consuming, I just want to get a feel for the weight of the thing underway as well as the engine's character.

Figured it was worth asking, I let a couple folks take the NC for a spin who were moto-curious when it was new to the market. If not I'll probably make the sweaty trek to DFW next weekend!

Thanks!

trey

Last edited:
Come down to north San Antonio and try out my 2012 Super Tenere. I'd love to check out your FJ-09.

Randy

Last edited:
Trey,

I understand the feeling.

The second generation Tenere with ES and cruise control are highly underrated. I know competing against the KTM and BMW adventure models can be challenging, but the Tenere with the proper mods really narrow the different between it and Euro brands. The ECU "unleashed" tweak with the Tenere really wakes it up and it takes care of some of the throttle hyperactivity.

I test road both the first and second generation versions and can tell a definite difference in the smoothness of the engine. Perhaps it is the revised CCT and clutch basket that makes a difference?

I know several members on here have done "fly and rides" and the you can score a tastely modded Tenere at an excellent price on Cycle Trader.

Enjoy the test ride!

RB

Last edited:
You can ride my 2012. I rode silver bullet's 2013 and was immediately hooked. I flew to Vegas and rode back with silverbullet from ivins Utah when I picked mine up. 2160 miles to my house in Gonzales. The PO started putting a rostra cruise on it. I finished it and it works great .

Are you guys talking the 700 Tenere or the Big one Super Tenere ?

Sorry for interrupting, just had some wishful thinking that there was somewhere in Texas to see a 700. Guess I'll have to buy a $1000 plane ticket to check that one out...

Last edited:
If you're up this way in DFW you're welcome to take my '12 for a spin...

Never ridden a tenere.

However, I have talked to several tenere riders and have surmised from their testimony that it is the trials bike of adventure bikes.

Sorry, what, Johnny Blaze? In what way would a 600lb bike be anything like a trials bike?

He means it does very good off road. I know a feller around here that takes his Tenere places I might think twice with my xr .

Oh I see. I couldn't see it rock hopping, but I do know my S10 is a lot more capable than its owner.

Are you guys talking the 700 Tenere or the Big one Super Tenere ?

Sorry for interrupting, just had some wishful thinking that there was somewhere in Texas to see a 700. Guess I'll have to buy a $1000 plane ticket to check that one out...

I don't believe it's even been announced by Yamaha yet.

I've heard 2018 from a Yamaha source. Wonder if I'll die holding my breath or should I just find a Husky / Ktm

Know where a lightly used 701 (16) is going up for sale. 3000 miles I think.

Know where a lightly used 701 (16) is going up for sale. 3000 miles I think.

Hmmm, talk to you soon. When you say "going" up fs soon gives me a little time ? I think I'll have a chance to ride one and pick the owner's brain soon.

I test road both the first and second generation versions and can tell a definite difference in the smoothness of the engine. Perhaps it is the revised CCT and clutch basket that makes a difference?

I know several members on here have done "fly and rides" and the you can score a tastely modded Tenere at an excellent price on Cycle Trader.

I do want to purchase a 2014+ Gen 2 bike, the smoother operation is something I keep reading over and over again. Swapping clutch baskets into a 1st Gen is apparently a simple job, but the cruise control sounds awfully nice :trust:

Fly 'n ride would be ideal. I have plenty of available time off from work, if I can get the FJ sold before it gets too cold I'll be looking anywhere in the country. Would love to pick one up in Oregon and meander my way home! 2014+ lightly used seem to be going for $10-11k with nice mods, but man can you catch a steal on a 1st gen... saw one the other day with < 10k miles for around $6k I believe. That's a lot of bike for the money...

Come down to north San Antonio and try out my 2012 Super Tenere. I'd love to check out your FJ-09.

Randy, got your PM -- will shoot you one shortly :rider:

See in Killeen...
TEXAS MOTOR SPORTS
HARKER HEIGHTS, TX 76548

See in Austin...
WOODS FUN CENTER
AUSTIN, TX 78753

I saw those, the Woods bikes are 1st gen but the demo bike in Killeen is interesting. But, until I can get the FJ sold I'm not really ready to buy. $14k for the demo is too much, even for an ES, but you never know how much they might come down I suppose. Maybe I'll swing by there next weekend.

Thanks for the replies -- apparently the Tenere is quite a conversation starter!

trey

Buy want you want but for me the price difference for the second gen would not be worth it. My bike has th updated clutch and is very smooth compared to the vstrom 1000 I had that had the Terry Hinkle clutch basket .
Also check into the updated cam chain tensioners if you buy a pre -14 model .

Last edited:
I had a 2013 1st Gen that I LOVED - in the White with Blocks trim it is an exceptional looking and riding bike.

The handling and power do a great job of hiding the bike's mass, and the traction control and ABS give you tons of confidence regardless of the road/weather conditions. The cruise control and gear indicator are features that are easily remedied by the aftermarket and the clutch basket swap (if necessary - only need to do the swap if/when you get a startup rattle) is easy.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ for tons of info.

For my $$ I would get a low miles Gen 1, slap on a set of Oxford Adventure sized heated grips (OEM are just too much $$$), a Vista Cruise (Kaoko if you wanna get fancy, or Rostra Cruise if you wanna get REALLY fancy), and a GIpro indicator and be thousands ahead. Address the clutch basket if/when it needs it and have plenty of $$ left over to put sweet farkles on.

Oh, my bike also has heated grips, speedo healer and a gear indicator ?

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts on Gen 1 vs 2. Over on ADV the consensus leans hard to Gen 2 being a significant upgrade, so that's really all I've been looking at. I'll have to do more research on all the changes between the two. Cruise would be nice, but certainly not a deal breaker. Clutch basket, CCT, heated grips are easy fixes for sure. Are the electronics the same -- traction control and ABS?

The white '13 is hands down the best looking Tenere, love it!

trey

I'm in S Austin and have a 15 ES you can take for a spin. I like it a lot. Rode it to Deadhorse last year and did 9988 miles in 15 1/2 days. It's basically a big dirt bike but it also does pretty good on the highway. That cruise is nice on long trips. I don't think I'll ever get a bike I'm going to take long trips without it again.

Back