• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Frozen Face.....remedy?

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
So I went for a test ride in my new to me jacket and pants. Huge thanks to grimsweeper for the great deal on them. It was 48 degrees and I felt nice and toasty all over, except for my face. I have always been a wuss when it got cold in the deep south and now that Im in the hill country it gets a little colder. Also I wear contacts and the wind coming up through the bottom of my helmet is a constant annoyance. Its not a problem when its above 60 degrees or so, but much colder than that and I feel like Im getting frost bite on my chin and lips. Again, Im a jeans all summer type of guy. Is there a product I can buy or something I can do to block that wind? I know blocking that flow completely could cause windscreen fog due to temperature differential, but maybe something that blocks it mostly, but not all the way...?

Holding my hand under my chin is a vast improvement, but I kind of need that hand.

I use a version of this,

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-arctic-balaclava

Mine is a KLIM, but slightly different from that one. I can't find the exact one I have, but they are all basically the same. It also REALLY helps to keep cold air from coming up the back of your neck into your helmet. It makes a HUGE difference. I have used it for extended rides in below freezing conditions.

For me a helmet with a chin skirt is the first step. After that I just use a wool buff and that has kept me warm down into the freezing range. The good thing about the buff is that it is multipurpose and i also wear it to keep my head warm when I am sleeping in the tent, or any other time even not while riding.

I keep wanting to try something like this but haven't.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/WINDJAMMER/?tag=twowhetex-20

I've used several balaclavas and they seem to have their drawbacks too. Fogging shields being one of them. I do like wearing a fleece gator like below. I've been able to pull it up over my nose and get my helmet on but that requires some work. It works best by just letting it bunch up between your shoulders and helmet. Keeps a lot of wind out of the helmet, and more importantly, off your neck, but you can adjust it and it's very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BGF1OG/?tag=twowhetex-20

A balaclava is a wonderful solution. I one I bought years ago. The brand name is Turtle Fur. It's a windproof, water resistant fleece.

As for fogging your helmet, look to our northern friends for an answer. You can find several kinds of breath box for sale on the internet. I use them when I'm up north on a sled (snowmobile, in case you're not a sledder). An Amazon search for "universal breath box" brings up 5-6.

Before I got a helmet that has a chin curtain, I used a 5x7" scrap of fabric which stayed in place against my chin, held up on either side between my cheek and the helmet cheek pad.

I don't have fogging issues with using a balaclava :shrug:

My helmet has a vent at the base of the visor that I leave open. I stay perfectly warm and the air from the vent keeps the shield clear.

When I reach a camp site, I pull the balaclava up and use it like a cap to keep my head and ears warm. If it gets real cold, I will even sleep with it. That makes a BIG difference in how warm I stay.

I've considered those cup things, never tried one though.

I do ride behind the big barn door of my aftermarket windscreen on the FJR, so the chin vent which does stay open doesn't help a lot.

Bill, not sure what you mean by a "buff." A scarf? I often use a plain, old fashioned wool scarf (mine is about 4' long) wrapped around my neck, held in place under my jacket and up against my face via the chin strap. Warm & cozy. I also have a balaclava, but I actually think I like my scarf better.

How does the skirt work? I've heard them mentioned, but haven't seen one in action.

Ah - Seen 'em. I use an old ski scarf for roughly the same thing. Old school, you know.

Ah - Seen 'em. I use an old ski scarf for roughly the same thing. Old school, you know.

The biggest difference is I can turn that buff into a hat to keep my head and ears warm when my helmet is off. Or turn it into a balaclava to keep my face and head warm. Basically it does the same thing as a scarf, beanie, and balaclava all in one package. For motorcycle riding I hate uni-taskers and the space needed to carry them.

In the summer I wear one (not the wool one mind you) on long trips to keep my face from drying out so fast. I learned that from Calgary Yogi when I was riding with him and it has really helped. When it is really, REALLY warm I just soak it in water at the gas stop and it helps quite a bit with keeping my head cool.

So Bill, kinda like a fleece gator then, huh? :D

Solutions also include driving the truck for a few weeks till it warms up, it is Texas after all.

+1 on the balaclava. I use the good old $10 "freeze out" version available at your local Cycle Gear. Makes a world of difference, and doesn't cost much at all. I also often use it when i am off the bike, it the wind chill factor warrants.

Little late to the discussion, but an alternative to a balaclava is a Repsro Sportsta mask. I just did a snowmobile trip a month ago with temps around freezing or below with one. It worked great. Kept my face warm and prevented my glasses and shield from fogging. It has valves low and near the sides of your cheeks that direct your exhalation away from your face. Got a little sweaty with it on, but the riding we were doing was pretty physical. On a normal motorcycle ride, this would work well. And as an added benefit, you can filter the nasty exhaust fumes while you ride.

Last edited:
Back