• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane splitting bill introduced (House Bill 813)

It still baffles me that the gov't will spend billions on new roads, public transport, and tunnels as a traffic solution, instead of encouraging motorcycles as transport.
Oh oh oh I know this one... Jobs?

Chill a little bit, Bines. I'm not a big advocate of it, either. But if the bill passes, you have a choice; you can choose not to lane split or filter. I choose not to do a lot of things that are perfectly legal.

I know, right. It's like voting. Why all you people go vote when I done voted? Just everybody stay home. No need risk expressing the same opinion in an attempt to reach a consensus. I got this.

And I'm voting to make motorcycle riding mandatory. So, hang on to yours before the price goes up. It's gonna work out though. Awareness through participation, I call it. Also known as, "You'll pay attention when it's your butt on the line". Best part is, after a few months, traffic will be lighter, housing will be cheaper and the job market will be wide open. The cemetery will be full, but that's okay.

Are you drunk? I totally read this hearing someone who's had a few too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh oh oh I know this one... Jobs?

I'd say it comes back to lobbying, and part of that may be the jobs aspect. I'm sure the auto industry lobby is absolutely massive.

The construction industry that builds roads likely have their hands in the pie too.

But if it's the law, you have to do it. It's the law!

I am chill. I am so chill, when I hold a beer can, it turns blue, even if it's not a color changing can.

But if it's the law, you have to do it. It's the law!

I am chill. I am so chill, when I hold a beer can, it turns blue, even if it's not a color changing can.

Are you insane? The speed limit is 85 on that new toll road near Austin. Driving a 40' Class A motorhome in freezing rain, at night, well it doesnt matter you have to do 85 its the law!

I don't believe motor homes should be lane splitting. Though I have been lane split by a car.

I don't believe motor homes should be lane splitting. Though I have been lane split by a car.

Now THERE's an interesting twist to consider. :zen:

Tack onto House Bill 813 that cars can filter past slow motorcycles and it might readily garner more support from the 4-wheel cage operators. :lol2:

They do it. If I leave enough room in my lane while crossing the metromess, one of these road warriors will help themselves to it. I was going around a curve on an on ramp, holding the inside of the lane, and had a cage zip past on my left. It wasn't a two lane ramp.

They do it. If I leave enough room in my lane while crossing the metromess, one of these road warriors will help themselves to it. I was going around a curve on an on ramp, holding the inside of the lane, and had a cage zip past on my left. It wasn't a two lane ramp.

Too old and creaky to do much hooligan-izing anymore (:trust:), so as long as they don't run over me I don't mind the younguns zipping about, attracting the attention of The Laws while I go on about my business.

Attachments

• SAT001-4.jpg
    SAT001-4.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 88

The point being that this is no different than motorcycle filtering. Why would a motorcyclists be upset about a car passing when there is room, even if there is only one marked lane?

Pot meets Kettle.

A lot of riders forget that important bit about positioning yourself in the lane to prevent this if you don't want it to happen.

SIPDE rules! :trust:

Experienced plenty of this, especially when tight merging, on ramps, or at a light.

I'll usually stop to the far right or far left of a lane at a stop light. Had a Benz SUV side right up to me the other day.

That is the thing. Several things, actually

We do have three positions per lane. The middle is generally where we'd be to claim the whole thing. I suppose you could ride the position third from the shoulder, too, but that's not how it's taught.

Let's say we're in a single lane curve and using the inside position, like a lot of us do, and we get cage filtered on the outside. Better be able to hold that inside slot until the car passes.

What if it's an S type single lane curve, and we get cage filtered in the switch?

Just things to think about.

Or we drive like we're drunk, swerving around in all three positions. That'll get you some room. :D

Or we drive like we're drunk, swerving around in all three positions. That'll get you some room. :D

I use all 3 depending on situation, sometimes in rapid succession.
Lane position is fluid, not static. :rider:

I use all 3 depending on situation, sometimes in rapid succession.
Lane position is fluid, not static. :rider:

Word. I pass 18 wheelers in the far left position, and do not dally. No hanging out on their corners, either. Hang back, let the vehicle in front clear its front and then some, and then pass it like you mean it.

In the city, I make a point to ride like this when I'm solo. The pothole this spring almost make it a game for me :rider:. Does 2 things in my eyes:
1. I am marking my territory.... Pissing in my lane if you will. DFW is bad with cagers thinking they have the right of way due to bigger = better.
2. It makes me visible. People notice me. So what of they think I'm drunk... They saw me and processed it at least. I don't have a CHP/Harley ****** image I have to maintain. I've even done it in front of cops without any issue.

Let's say we're in a single lane curve and using the inside position, like a lot of us do, and we get cage filtered on the outside. Better be able to hold that inside slot until the car passes.

If I'm in a curve, riding to the inside of the lane, and a car is passing in the same lane, that just means I'm probably not going fast enough. :rider: :trust:

If I'm in a curve, riding to the inside of the lane, and a car is passing in the same lane, that just means I'm probably not going fast enough. :rider: :trust:

This. In any condition other than a stoplight, where I should be allowed to filter or straddle lanes.

:wave:

Getting back to the actual bill for a moment, I have to say I'm becoming concerned about the lack of any movement on both the senate & house versions in committee. Not a peep or sign of any activity on either side, unless I've missed something? Anyone? Bueller?

More than anything else, that probably simply means that a new governor and legislature have a lot of priorities to work on, and this isn't a high priority.

A lot of nay sayers here.

If you would like it or like others to have it.

Please take the 3 minutes to look up your rep and email them.

For those saying it wont pass, that's in part to you not contributing because your average Joe smith doesn't prowl the internet daily looking for this. They won't complain till it's already passed.

Not trying to be a nay sayer. Just sayin' that legislators have to prioritize their time and the bill pipeline.

Getting back to the actual bill for a moment, I have to say I'm becoming concerned about the lack of any movement on both the senate & house versions in committee. Not a peep or sign of any activity on either side, unless I've missed something? Anyone? Bueller?

I got the below from Rep. Munoz or a staffer:

No movement yet on bill. Have requested hearing on the house side and also working to see if senate bill will move as well. Thank you for your interest and will keep you posted.

№350;1338136 said:
A lot of nay sayers here.

If you would like it or like others to have it.

Please take the 3 minutes to look up your rep and email them.

For those saying it wont pass, that's in part to you not contributing because your average Joe smith doesn't prowl the internet daily looking for this. They won't complain till it's already passed.

It isn't so much whether it will pass or not that the "nay-sayers" are bringing up in this thread. It is public acceptance. Without that such legislation would be moot.

Some people think that legislation is some kind of magic. Like the law will automatically instill upon the psyche of the driving populace that lane sharing is suddenly the thing to do.

There is no magic. Changing the minds of motorists toward positive change doesn't work this way.

Look for examples of similar changes in traffic flow that have been effected over the years. Look at "Right Turn on Red," "Left Lane for Passing Only," "Don't Mess With Texas," and other similar initiatives created to alter the habits of the driving public.

Look at the signage on the roads, the media support necessary, the many other aspects of bringing these proposals to the public. Each was an organized effort and went on over a significant length of time with careful planning for how to get the word out.

Statutes are only ink on paper. In and of themselves they will do nothing to change things. Change requires interested people taking action over a long period of time. Without a plan to accomplish this there will be nothing new to come from such legislation.

The LEOs will require training on how to enforce it, and the drivers will have to be educated. Even the riders will need to be taught how to properly use the technique. It will need to be included in driver training. There is no osmosis involved. It will take money and time.

Where will the money come from to follow through to bring such a grand scheme into practical application? Is that stipulated in the bill or its supporting documents?

As mentioned, look at other places where filtering/land splitting/lane sharing are common place and, from what I have read in this thread, there was no legislation necessary.

So, instead of alluding to the nay-sayers being the ones who need to do something, perhaps it would better serve this end if those who are adamantly and passionately interested in bringing lane splitting to Texas were to form an organization with the sole purpose of promoting the practice to the general public in a positive light, extolling upon the benefits to all road users, and finding financial support for the media campaign that will be necessary to accomplish this goal.

Or, maybe it isn't so important to these supporters. Maybe it is easier to point at the very folks who will still have to be taught the benefits before they will accept the idea.

I can't imagine how legislation for merely the statute, without a comprehensive plan for funding the accompanying education could ever be considered as a valid bill by most in the legislature. Compared to a well thought out proposal in any other bill before them that addresses everything needed to accomplish the goal, this one could easily fall short in comparison if it is not comprehensive.

If it were to even make the floor for consideration at all I would think that a short-sighted lack of planning for execution could get it voted down.

No matter what, such a task as bringing lane-splitting to Texas will be something that will take years, perhaps a decade or more, to bring to fruition. And, only if the proponents of the plan get organized, get funds, and promote it publicly.

Legislation is probably the last step that should be considered. If it is even deemed necessary once public awareness has been raised to the benefits.

It certainly seems to me that this should not be the first step to take. That is putting the cart before the horse.

If the proponents are serious and dedicated to this, and willing to spend the years necessary to carry it to fruition, they should form an organization, choose a fancy name, put up a website, create a non-profit to collect donations. Then, start a media campaign.

There are plenty of examples to model. MADD, NORML, etc. all have had successes with their long-running campaigns to change public attitudes on matters that were dear to them.

What makes anyone think that this campaign would be any different? Or, any easier?

Back