• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rain riding, hate it, don't care either way, or love it?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab I know most people would probably prefer to not start a trip in the rain, and once on the road probably would not cancel a trip because of it. But is there here anyone that actually enjoys riding in the rain? Anyone that simply will not ride in the rain, period? What kinds of experiences have you had in the rain, good or bad?

I will cancel a day ride if it's raining, but not a trip. Especially if the forecast says it will clear up later or is dry at my destination. I enjoy travelling in the rain if I'm prepared, gear-wise.

Worst rain experience, riding from an hour west of Texarkana into AR, and all the way up HWY 7 (scenic byway) to BullShoals, AR. We were two-up, with the bike loaded and it rained on us all day. Stayed mostly dry except for hands and feet.

The scariest moment was coming down 123 out of Mt. Judea. If you've been on this road, it's not much more than a goat trail on the mountain. There was a sign for rock slide. I expected a pile of rocks in the road, but it was a chunk bitten out of the road and washed out below the asphalt! :eek:

We were coming down 10mph switchbacks with lots of elevation change and I think, "man, my visor is fogging up," so I lifted it and there was no difference!

We made it to our hotel and dried out. The rest of the weekend was gorgeous, though, and was worth the ride.

Incidently, the 2nd time I rode 123 up there was this spring a few weeks after the snow and ice storms. There was pea gravel all over those same switchbacks. :(

:tab My first experience on 123 was coming from the North. I came up those really really tight and steep switchbacks. Was a beautiful day and it was quite fun. The missing road was around a blind left hander for me. Fortunately, it was marked prior to the turn and I spotted the sign. Otherwise it would have been extremely ugly. The sweepers on the South end of 123 are a biker's dream. We will be doing this road Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait.

A rainy day on a trip is one more element that makes riding a bike so cool. Generally any longer trip I take includes whatever gear will be necessary to deal with all expected weather (and don't you hate unpacking a lot of stuff back at home that you never used?). So from a comfort point of view rain in itself isn't to bad, but it does put me in a completely different mindset. The pace slows, the air is fresher, caution lights are on but not in a tense way, and the ride goes on. It's a lazier and more scenic ride. I don't mind it.

Now what I hate is riding all day dodging thunderstorms! Rain gear on ... rain gear off ... can I miss that next cell? Too hot or too wet - take your pick. Am I really the highest point in the panhandle right now?

Provided I have the proper gear, I enjoy riding in the rain. I still tend to tense up a bit more, and dislike having my glasses fog (the visor's fine, what with RainX/FogX and a Fog City lens).

As the young'uns say, "It's All Good." :)

A light shower is no problem, and can actually provide a little relief during hot weather. A hard, driving rain can be scary and I'll usually pull over and wait for it to pass.

Of course, the road grime makes clean-up more of chore afterwards. I'm one of those sickos who find themselves compelled to detail their bike after every ride. :help: :wink:

Wassat?

Hmmm... FTR?? "Forget the rain?" :-P

I don't mind rain so much as long as I have my rain gear with me. Since I ride with my Givi Topcase attached about 95% of the time now, that means I usually have it. Having said that, I don't care too much for the stinky smell the helmet liner gets after a rainy ride. It seems the splashing onto the bottom of the liner (I'm guessing up from the shoulders and from the edge of the windscreen) gets it pretty damp and it doesn't dry too well. Any of you folks out there with an Arai know how to remove the liner? Is it possible? I read somewhere once that it was, but they didn't say how. Maybe I'm just missing something. :?

On another note, tires also make a HUGE difference in rain riding enjoyment. I recently replaced a well worn D207 rear after an eventful ride from Houston to College Station in the rain. The tar sealer strips in the road get pretty slick when a good portion of your tire gets to look racing slick-like (no, not from burn outs, just hard riding on a heavy bike). I have to say the new rear BT-020 handles the rain VERY WELL. :)

I guess my biggest gripe with rain riding is that I'm somewhat lazy and a bit anal. I always want my bike to look spotless, but I HATE having to clean it after riding in the rain. Road grime gets into and onto EVERYTHING! :x Oh, well. Just part of any loving man/bike relationship I guess... :wink:

Back