TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Let's see your very best photo

Howdy,

So I was thinking last night about how many cameras I see on the various rides in which I participate. That got me to thinking that it would be cool to see some of the best shots. To that end, I would like you to spend a few minutes going through your pics and find the one that you really really think is one of your best shots. Post it up here for all of us to see. Maybe tell us where it is and what it is about it that you find so appealing. I have a ton of shots so it may take me a bit to find one... Oh, and it does not have to have a bike in the shot, although that would be nice

Please keep images to 550 pix wide or less. Otherwise, please link to them with the URL tag instead of embedding them with the IMG tag.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Rocket_Cowboy
LDRider

My two favorites ...

or...

Ride Blog
Rocket_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I guess I should have restated the forum policy of images not being wider than 550 pixels It messes up the viewing for those poor souls still running in 800 X 600 resolution. It also makes the download times shorter for the folks on modems.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 11-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
Hacksaw

Charleston WV. 2003 BMWMOA

http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Very cool Jeff! The nerd engineer in me really appreciates that kind of stuff!

Adios,

Quote:

Old 11-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...
Forum Supporter

My favorite shot is this one that Scott took out in Arkansas. For two days I watched the setting sun without anywhere to pull off the road and take a decent picture. Intent on getting at least one of Ally in front of the sky when it was a smiliar color to the bike itself, the last night of the trip I was taking the slow way home from the last gas stop and saw the opportunity. Mine didn't come out great, but Scott came up with this one:

'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
-Carl Bard

Where's Squeaky?
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
wabbit

WOW to the first pic!

wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:38 PM   #8
pdef

Tell me if all you see if a big red X. I am using yahoo
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 PM   #9
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...
Forum Supporter

yup. big stinky red x.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
-Carl Bard

Where's Squeaky?
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:19 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:

Old 11-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
kawi jm

Old 11-13-2004, 03:57 AM   #12
Kidder

This is my absolute favorite picture.

The history behind the picture is this: Me and four others went from DFW, TX to Knoxville, TN to attend the Honda Hoot in 2001. We rode the entire way. All the other guys were on cruisers except for me. The picture is of the dam just below Deal's Gap. When the group started up towards the Gap I left them behind because the SV is WAY faster than the big pigs that they were riding. Anyway, I get down to the Gap and keep going. I get to the dam, ride past it, then turn around. I end up parking the bike and taking the pic. It felt like an accomplishment. I had ridden a super long distance just to get to Knoxville then I got to ride Deal's Gap. So, the picture almost has a surreal feeling for me. I have since sold the SV but I will always have this memory of my bike I affectionately called 'Stealth'.

-----------------------------
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Kidder; 09-08-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #13
VFRinAustin

I like these from my Big Bend trip last fall

River Road
Top of River Road
McDonald Observatory in fog

And this one was taken by Ellen last Thanksgiving

Canoeing in Santa Elena Canyon at Sunset

SHE'S HOME, YEAH

'03 VFR
VFRinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:28 AM   #14
brd

This was not on a bike trip, but it's probably my most spectacular photo ever just because of the "right place, right time" factor. It was at Big Bend NP on the River Road. I couldn't believe I actually got the shot, as I usually seem to get the camera ready a second too late for things like this.
Euless, TX
brd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #15
Jack Giesecke

This is a quick downloading low resolution copy of a scan. I didn't have a digital camera then, scanned the 35mm shot from my SLR. I have a high resolution print of it hanging on the wall I liked it so much. It was taken on the side of the road south of Alpine Arizona in April. I was following a snow plow down the "coronado trail" on my VX800 at the time, coming back from Laughlin, Nevada.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #16
Bill J. from Austin

Some favorite motorcycle shots, and some artsy-fartsy stuff!

On Highway 7 south of Estes Park, CO. It's a fave because it's me and my bike on the road, far from home, with my gear strapped tight and nature's glory all around. What's not to love?

Sober Joe and Paca - fellow members of a motorcycling association, but otherwise complete strangers - who heard I'd been injured in an accident, blew off their vacation plans, and traveled 1000 miles out of their way to visit me in the hospital, because "that's what bikers do for each other." How cool is that?

My Dad at a bike show in Hanford, CA, several years before his death. He's standing next to an Indian like one he rode after the war. We were estranged for years, and motorcycling was one of the interests that drew us back together.

Cemetary at Templeboy, County Sligo, Ireland, from whence some of my ancestors emigrated. I got to take my mother there - her very first visit to the Old Sod.

Cow skull on rock wall in County Donegal, Ireland.

Our B&B in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. The setting reminds me of an Edward Hopper painting. I burned a half-roll of film, to get the image I wanted.

Motorcycle Enthusiast, Casual Hero and Raconteur

Rigid kick-only semi-rat shovel (mine since '79 )
Broke-down Evo bagger (a work in progress )
Pretty BMW R1100R (wrecked by a brother 10-4-2008 )
Hopped-up Evo FXR (totaled by a hit-and-run driver 10-26-2008 )

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, and I'm trying to get there as fast as I can!"

William Blake and Bill J. ~
Bill J. from Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #17
Bill J. from Austin

Jeff, that pic of the bridge is fantastic!

Andy, that picture Ellen took is pro quality. Looks like it should be a poster, or an advertisement for sporting goods.

Great work, all! I love seeing what people shoot.

Motorcycle Enthusiast, Casual Hero and Raconteur

Rigid kick-only semi-rat shovel (mine since '79 )
Broke-down Evo bagger (a work in progress )
Pretty BMW R1100R (wrecked by a brother 10-4-2008 )
Hopped-up Evo FXR (totaled by a hit-and-run driver 10-26-2008 )

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, and I'm trying to get there as fast as I can!"

William Blake and Bill J. ~
Bill J. from Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
chiko

Praying Mantis

Praying mantis in the extreme fore ground on the sign we were using to steady the camera. Bikes in the middle. Enchanted Rock, Texas in the background.
2001 Yamaha YZ125 (blue)
chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:35 PM   #19
HiSPL

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwA1A9AVfy2bBiEaUfPpJqFlZLDGFJdawlys5b2x49Z3TuxUF WIVglcUsrwI3Khyh8bdJOaQCZWdKAk11iFVD*cftY1bmNVCLrY HCyOQUyTUE7kKRs6oMw/IMG_0510.jpg[/img]
I think this image is great because those are my riding buds. This was taken on our last www.thegsresources.com hill country tour. I like the composition here with folks BSing and waliking back to the bikes with the hills in the background.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAjA9cVUC!bBiEaUfPpJsR7gq!wkr7nhRFP!oKrGvLNDYeaU EjN66Fkuti5fet3oZ5A1YVUSAM*QGcLZyoWdDR0L*R*vQxLEu* QjwDerxYbk6ppraZIHg/IMG_0544.jpg[/img]
This was taken at Randy's place whrere I camped. It's the root of a big oak tree growing through the rocks.

Dragonfly on Lantana. This was at the Gristmill restaraunt in Gruene.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwA1A9gVlC!bBiEaUfPpJl5YfVL2ujEzA4yRNSLIv6QvKnTst OtIy*lmw4kqlg2UCSizIjs2VTWQwH7tD*ytBgVK3RI4HiXIq0H OosxWVBMi5zvLksjjQA/IMG_0563.jpg[/img]
Butterfly on Lantana. Same as above.....

Last edited by HiSPL; 12-19-2005 at 12:27 AM.
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
Trip

I finally found my dream home in East Texas!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote