TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
_RG_

RIO GRANDE NF

Our word for today is.... ACCESSIBLE

The Rico area is phenomenal... provided you came for kick your tail single track. There are very few bunny slopes and if the crew isn't up to B class riders then the fun factor drops for everyone. And, it's a long dang drive from Texas.

The area well east of Creede, however...

Headwaters of the Rio Grande river.

This kind of fun stuff goes on till you drop.

Big bike friendly - provided the one on the throttle can ride. Honest C class and up will have a hoot out here. There are also plenty of improved roads for adventure riders.

It's higher elevation for most of the day. 11K or better means cool and breezy. This herd of commercial cattle are heavy with fur regardless of color.

Very nice narrow two track to warm things up.

Reasonable switchbacks that don't require bulldoggin the front end.

Little shelf work to lighten the moment.

And then, splendidly righteous single track!

Yes, there are stream crossings, rocky patches where you put a foot on either side and slowly lean-snuggle the bike in between, log hopping and just about any other kind of trail challenge you'd mention - BUT - it's the sort that any good off-road rider can enjoy. A group of like riders will have an awesome day. Very accessible.

And some sight seeing in places that few can go...

Last edited by _RG_; 09-20-2017 at 09:46 PM.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Re: RIO GRANDE NF

RG, I just got back from a work trip where I was unable to keep up with your posts. Going to try and piece together where the heck you went so I can attempt to retrace some of your heroic steps !!! This is a fantastic ride report. Can't believe you did Black Bear by yourself when you so smartly discourage us from doing last year

So it looks like we might be heading back to Purgatory in a few weeks, with any luck some of the trails will still be there for me to try on my own...
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax (oh baby)
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, Skid Steer, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

You are KILLING ME!!!

That just looks incredible and it kills me to be sitting here knowing yet another fall riding season is slipping away, never to be recaptured...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, youíre a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, youíre a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, youíre a moderate. If you donít want government to intervene anywhere, youíre an extremist. ó Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a Ďdismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Ė Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction ó the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Gravel Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
You are KILLING ME!!!

That just looks incredible and it kills me to be sitting here knowing yet another fall riding season is slipping away, never to be recaptured...
+1...... but kids are first for now....

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
_RG_

It'll still be here when ever y'all are ready.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Why do your awesome pix look like faded technicolor from the '70's?

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
Why do your awesome pix look like faded technicolor from the '70's?
Junky Walmart "kids" camera but mostly due to a lack of skill on the user's part. I admire images that been run through enhancement programs like Light-room and tweaked but mine are only resized and posted as they are... lazy rascal that I am.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
SL350
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post

This kind of fun stuff goes on till you drop.

Most say "are you crazy?". Dirt bike guys say - "class 3, I dunno." RG says "Do I take the first or the second right turn up the cliff?"

Great pictures.

Old Man Time

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
_RG_

IT'S MOVIE DAY!

Alrighty... time to explore a bit more of the Rio Grande NF.

It seems this place is a genuine motorcycle playground.

The two trails I drew GPS tracks for today range out a little further and a little longer. They look like fun single track and together make a great loop. This route is ideal for a 'ride-lunch/gas-ride back' kind of day. The first leg is about seven miles of single track with part two being about five. The transfer roads to and between them are entertaining on their own.

Scenic ride over to the trail-head. The colors are changing everyday.

Turns out - these two trails are the very ones recently used by the RMEC for their spring enduro race. I didn't know this little tidbit until after finishing trail one and meeting up with some local riders at the southern trail-head.

These trails don't fall under our ACCESSIBLE heading.
If it seems I'm riding a bit conservatively at times - just remember - This is my first glimpse of this trail and I'm out here all alone.

http://youtu.be/yTitTB7m6G0

Had a little problem right about halfway up trail #2 ---

We've all heard of "loosing your brakes" but mine were seriously gone... vanished... no longer there. The ride back down the trail was ummm... interesting.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

RG what the heck happened to your breaks. What a time to quit on you!

Great ride report (GPX files??????) Please, will buy you lunch next time I ride with you.
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax (oh baby)
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, Skid Steer, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
tshelfer

Wow! Spectacular! I love the Rio Grande valley area, but I've only seen it from pavement and an occasional hike. Where are those amazing sandstone pinnacles?

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Wow! Spectacular! I love the Rio Grande valley area, but I've only seen it from pavement and an occasional hike. Where are those amazing sandstone pinnacles?
That's called the Wheeler Monument. It's pretty amazing when seen up close and personal like. It's actually well inside the La Garita Wilderness but there's a "road" to within a half mile. Pleasant walk from there to the feature. From pavement, it's 25 miles out and the last 10 are a lot of fun on a motorcycle. The locals tell me it'll take 3-4 hours to get out there by jeep. I passed a couple of jeeps on the way out but they must have turned around and went home.

The attached GPX is how I went. Hope you get a chance to visit it someday.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Wheeler Monument.gpx (231.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
RG what the heck happened to your breaks. What a time to quit on you!

Great ride report (GPX files??????) Please, will buy you lunch next time I ride with you.
Lets get together sometime before y'all come up and see what I have for the area that'll work for you.

They're pretty much rolling up the sidewalks around here right now. We went into Creede yesterday for ice cream and could count the number of open shops on one hand. Lots of "Closed for the season" signs hanging in windows.
The locals say it's just a matter of days before the first snow, then the ground freezes and the next snow ends their year. Mountains of firewood being piled up around here. Bout time to head to the low country.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
sanderjavant

Wow!!!!

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
gixxerjasen

Wow, I want to go get lost in the Aspens. Sigh...
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote