• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Most asked question!!

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
If I'm on the RS1200RS, which is semi sport bike looking I constantly get asked "how fast does it go", lol. My answer, I'm just a slow old man. Then being a beemer, for much did it cost. If lucky I get a "nice bike" comment too.

Last edited:
At least you don't have to suffer people looking at your Yamaha FJR and telling you "Nice BMW."

:D

Same with my '09 Multistrada. Ducati Red + 1100cc = how fast will it go? Hard to break the news about the 95 hp and topping out at 125. But with a 470 curb weight she gets around pretty good. Last of the analog warriors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My experience:
After the "how fast does it go question" the inquirer almost immediately jumps into a story about how the mid 70s bike they 'souped up' (usefully a Harley) would go 140MPH....:giveup:

I just smile and be friendly. :zen:

At least you don't have to suffer people looking at your Yamaha FJR and telling you "Nice BMW."

I had KMW roundels on the fairing of my Concours and would always throw off other riders who didn't know what it was.

The biggest question I get on the Wing is "Isn't that thing heavy"?

Attachments

• For sale.jpg
    For sale.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 149
I get two typical responses about my VStrom:
- Big cruiser riders say "Oh yeah, that's a nice little starter bike, but......."
- Most people say "I wouldn't want a crotch rocket....."
- And two people at the same Walmart have recently asked if it was a GMW GS.

Clearly, basic moto education is lacking with the general public. Well, there are a few folks who know about VStroms. A couple of years ago, my buddy Brian & I were filling up our Stroms in Walsenburg, when a rider came over and started a conversation with:
- "Two VStroms? I have a bunch of friends who ride those. You guys are almost like a cult."

on the ZRX I just point out the speedometer only goes to 160 so I don't know how fast it goes.

on the SV1Kn I tell them the speedometer only displays 199 and then flashes.
I have been asked if the SV was a single cylinder as you can only see the front cylinder, and I explain it is a L twin and then have to explain what a L twin is.

Clearly, basic moto education is lacking with the general public.

Agreed and I get it. Most people see the bike. like it, and want to have a conversation of some type. I guess the equivalent would be me going to an small airport and talking to pilots about planes. I like planes and all, but pretty much anything I say is going to be 'pretty rookie' sounding.

Just today I got this comment about the Yamaha TTR 250, "That sure is a big bike"

I couldn't help myself, I replied, "It's the smallest of the 3 I own." Lol

Clearly, basic moto education is lacking with the general public.

Yes, how often does someone find out that you ride and immediately start talking about Harleys, even though they don't ride themselves?

Just today I got this comment about the Yamaha TTR 250, "That sure is a big bike"

I couldn't help myself, I replied, "It's the smallest of the 3 I own." Lol

:rofl: That was good.

Not the most common question, but my favorite comment was a teenager in Red Rock who came racing up to the gas pump where I was fueling the X and said, "Wow, I didn't know BMW made dirt bikes!"

If I'm getting gas with the dirt bike on my trailer, aren't you little old to be doing that!

Or when you're ATGATT, "aren't you hot in all that stuff?" My response is "Not really, I just like looking like a Power Ranger". :trust:

"Men grow elderly much more by choice than by chance. There really is very little chance in this world." - G.K. Chesterton

I need to remind my knees this.

On my fully loaded VStrom, in a gas station somewhere out on Hwy 287:

- "You're going to ride that all the way to Colorado? You'll burn up your motor trying to keep up with traffic for that long".

- "Sure, that thing will scoot pretty fast for a while. But for the long haul, you need a [insert make/model] like mine."

- "Think you can stay with me at 70?" My reply: "Well, I guess I could slow down and drive in 5th."

- "Wait till you get to the passes." My reply: "Okay, I can wait at the top for you."

Back