• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WANTED - 225-250cc dual sport

texaspatrick

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
The time has come for a smaller CC bike to join the stable.

Models I'm interested in:
Yamaha XT225
Yamaha XT250
DRZ400 (if the price is really, really right)
Honda CRF250L (see above)
Super Sherpa
And mayyyyybe a TW200

After riding every one of them, I can't make up my mind (a different thread for a different time), so I'm just seeing if there is anything out there from a trusted seller.

I don't mind putting in some elbow grease and farkles are a plus. I saw my dream XT in a For Sale ad on here from 2014. Hoping for more of the same sometime soon.

Located in Austin, but I'm willing to travel. Fly and Ride? You got it!
Thanks y'all! :rider::rider::rider:

I'd say the Yamaha's and the Sherpa are bikes that usually go with the motor home crowd and when found are usually nice, low mileage, and cared for, price is usually market value. The Honda is too new to be found in the low price range, usually around $3500- $3800 range, and the DRZ 400 is hard to buy under $2000. The DRZ's would probably be your best buy bike, you can find them in all conditions as the bike has been around for 15 years, but they sell fast. Since you didn't put a price range, I assume you want to spend $1000-$1500, maybe hard to do. I have always paid more for nice bikes and have always got my money back, it's like riding free. Most bikes on this forum are going to sell for market value and they should, this is a forum for mainly dual sport riding. I have purchased 80 percent of my used bikes off of Craigslist and have gotten many good buys, but you have to shop around and be ready to go with money in hand to get a good buy.

trainman

Last edited:
Hey Pat,I have the XT,Tdubb,and the DRZ.
What is appealing about the XT and TW is you feel like you can go just about anywhere off-road and not get in over your head.
It,s the light weight but mainly the low seat height that allows that.
DRZ rocks but in knarly situations like most great dual sports it's a long way to the ground.
The TW is almost laughable off-road because of the ultra short wheelbase
Coupled with wide stop to stop steering and 180 rear tire(same as my FZ-09!)
But it is screaming at 60 mph.
My fix ? Get em all.

I have a KlR and decided it was too heavy for me so I bought the DRZ I took to Mexico. I'd still like to have a 250 or a 300 as something really light to further develop skills, but they're hard to find and when you do, they seem to go at a premium. I search most days and if I see something, I'll bring it to your attention. Good Luck.

Hey JT,
I forgot about those bikes. Y'all have one, right?

And for everyone else, thanks for your input. My budget is well within the market prices (and within the absurd prices on most CL ads), but of course I would love to spend a little less.

I've been searching CL and a couple other classified sites over the past several weeks, from Texas and surrounding states, but haven't found one that sung to me and was within a reasonable distance.... Although there is a DRZ in north Dallas that is pretty farkled out..

And thanks to James (inroads) for emailing me about current xt225s out there. Guy knows his smaller bikes!

An XT250 can be made into a nice bike for exploring with a little effort. Suspension redo is #1.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 152
Patrick, my ttr250 is treating me right. It's a confidence inspiring bike for a beginner like me. And JT loves to flog it on trails.

The Yamaha XTZ 250 Ténéré that is sold in Mexico has a 16 liter tank. That should pop on the XT250 US version. Since you are in Texas, you could probably pick one up at a Yamaha dealer along the border. I don´t remember if anyone makes a larger tank for the XT but maybe one is available in the states. Just sayin, 2.5 gallons won´t get you far.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt250tenere.php

Last edited:
The Yamaha XTZ 250 Ténéré that is sold in Mexico has a 16 liter tank. That should pop on the XT250 US version. Since you are in Texas, you could probably pick one up at a Yamaha dealer along the border. I don´t remember if anyone makes a larger tank for the XT but maybe one is available in the states. Just sayin, 2.5 gallons won´t get you far.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/xt250tenere.php

The fuel injected XT250 is easy on fuel, though, with an estimated 76 mpg. And it's easy to carry an extra liter or two.

I have a plated KTM 250 XC-W that would make a swell dual sport as long as you don't need to go over 50 MPH!!! :lol2:

The time has come for a smaller CC bike to join the stable.

Models I'm interested in:
Yamaha XT225
Yamaha XT250
DRZ400 (if the price is really, really right)
Honda CRF250L (see above)
Super Sherpa
And mayyyyybe a TW200

After riding every one of them, I can't make up my mind (a different thread for a different time), so I'm just seeing if there is anything out there from a trusted seller.

I don't mind putting in some elbow grease and farkles are a plus. I saw my dream XT in a For Sale ad on here from 2014. Hoping for more of the same sometime soon.

Located in Austin, but I'm willing to travel. Fly and Ride? You got it!
Thanks y'all! :rider::rider::rider:

Patrick,
I'm selling my wife's DR200, but it needs the carb rebuilt and a new battery, I'm sure, so a little elbow grease to get her perfect. I'd like 600.00 for this bike.
I put new Kenda k270 tires on before she quit riding, and I could use some cash to help on another project bike. Clear title in hand...:sun:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 152
I have a 2014 CRF 250L for sale for $3500. Has 25k miles, bored out to 304cc, 2 sets of tires, fmf and stock exhaust, power bomb header, 2 fuel controllers, box of spare parts and extras. 6/10 in the looks department, runs excellent, clean title.

An XT250 can be made into a nice bike for exploring with a little effort. Suspension redo is #1.

Are you selling me that little guy? :lol2:

Pyro, thanks for the offer. Looking for something with a little less mileage than that.

GravelGuy, I left you a message at home!

Kiko, I've never seen that 250 Tenere before! Too bad getting bikes over here legally is such a pain ($$$). There are a lot of cool bikes we don't get here in the US.

Still keeping my eyes peeled. Thanks for the reply's so far everyone. Got a couple good leads right now, they are just across the country :giveup:

IF Patrick doesn't buy your wife's DR200, I'd be happy to buy it from you. It'll be perfect for my son to get to school on come the fall.

I haven't seen the Burg in the usual parking spot on campus in a bit. Was wondering if he was done with school! But someone did abandon a nice little scooter in that same lot he parks in. Hasn't moved in about 3 months!

I'm talking to GravelGuy about getting out to see the little bike. I'll give you a ring if it doesn't work out!

Hey, Patrick:
UT son got his shoulder injured playing lacrosse. So he got it all stitched up around spring break. While he's recovering, the Burg is parked at our house. He's now driving a car.

The DR200, however, isn't for him; it's for my other son, in high school.

Last edited:
So I got a few messages behind the scenes, so to speak...
Patrick is first up to look at the DR.
Inroads (James) has second shot at it, and Dao is next in line.

Frankly, I just want this nice bike to get used and not just set under my carport! :trust: :sun:

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I picked up Mark's dr200 last week. Doing a tear down on it as we speak to get her back on the road. Should be a fun little bike. Thanks buddy! :sun:

have a 2007 TW200 with 1700 miles- like new, with extra's
bought this for the grandkids to learn on- 3yrs ago- they have not showed up yet. When purchased it had 800 miles, I have added 900 just exercising it once a month.
Located at Lake Corpus Christi
$2700 Cash or trade

Attachments

• IMG_20160402_153945549[1].jpg
    IMG_20160402_153945549[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 119
have a 2007 TW200 with 1700 miles- like new, with extra's
bought this for the grandkids to learn on- 3yrs ago- they have not showed up yet. When purchased it had 800 miles, I have added 900 just exercising it once a month.
Located at Lake Corpus Christi
$2700 Cash or trade

haha that's great MFF! Love those bottle holders. Just bought a DR200 though. And maybe a xt225 (whoops). Looks like you've got a lot of extra goodies on there.

Back