• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

July/Aug CDR Ride

Vinny, I will be at your house before 6:00 A.M. Saturday morning.

John, we will see you up there.

To both of you. Think about if you want to camp at the parking area, sleep in the trucks or stay in a hotel Saturday night. If we stay in Pagosa, we get up Saturday morning eat breakfast somewhere, go out to the parking area, load up and leave. If we stay at the parking area, we load up the bikes and go get breakfast somewhere. Then leave.

Sam

Hey guys,

I'm leaving early on my own tomorrow, pulling an enclosed trailer. I'm stopping in Abiline to buy a used 2014 CRF250L for my 24 year daughter, Christina. She is thrilled! I'm bringing my CRF 230 and my KLR.

I'm driving alone. I tried to find others to go, but could not, but its no big deal. And since I knew I was going out of the way to pick up a bike, I did not want to caravan.

I am no superman driver. I'll stop for the nite maybe in Lubbock or Clovis.

Sam and Vinny, I'll meet you in Pagosa on Saturday.

note: I'm staying 2 weeks. Once Sam and Vinny leave my wife and 2 daughters fly to Denver, take a van to Colo Spgs, and I pick them up there.

This is my 2nd 2-week vacation in almost 20 years. So, I am ready!

We stay in Salida for a week with 5 friends from Austin, all dirt bike riders, and we'll ride all over the mountains around Salida. I'll do both off-road and asphalt on the KLR. My wife does not ride with me much but she enjoys short rides (1 or 2 hours) on the KLR. I'll be looking for some nice and easy off-road riding to show her the mountains. They are super excited.

In fact my week in Salida was planned for about 4 months. Only a few weeks ago I started talking to Sam about going with him since I was up there anyway (with a million other Texans fleeing the heat!)

Congratulations on the new bike. Congratulations specially on having a family that supports and joins you in your hobby. I'm sorry I won't get to meet and ride with them.
We are going to have an awesome time.
With the Texas heat beating us down, I almost look forward to being cold and wet (for very short periods of time :rider:)

Vinny, I will be at your house before 6:00 A.M. Saturday morning.

John, we will see you up there.

To both of you. Think about if you want to camp at the parking area, sleep in the trucks or stay in a hotel Saturday night. If we stay in Pagosa, we get up Saturday morning eat breakfast somewhere, go out to the parking area, load up and leave. If we stay at the parking area, we load up the bikes and go get breakfast somewhere. Then leave.

Sam

I would like to camp as much as possible. If it's raining or its going to rain all night, then let's stay at a hotel or cabin.
I think it's a good idea to camp next to the truck the first night. That way we can test our set up and leave anything extra at the truck or if we are missing something we can buy it while we ride.
I truly can't wait to get this trip started!
Sam, thanks again for setting this up.

Hey Guys,

I'm in a hotel in Clovis. Met the seller of the CRF250L near Abilene, and the transaction went very well.

The drive went very well, too. I arrived in Clovis about 5:30 pm. The drive was uneventful and no "news is good news".

I could have gone farther, and I was tempted to do so, but, as the sun got lower in the west, the temp got hotter and hotter. The hottest temp I saw all day was in Clovis at 102.

So, I'll finish the ride tomorrow and see you in Pagosa Springs.

See you tomorrow!

Murf.

Man guys you don't know how much missing this trip upsets me
I wish I was rolling with you guys this time.

Even our company owner said I was nuts, to pass the trip up for the work project that I could have probably pushed it back a week.

But its a 2 Million Dollar project and I did not want the reason to be I was more interested in fun that work.

Ride Safe, have fun and say hello to Gary and his wife for me.

Odds are I see more dangerous wildlife in Detroit than you do in Colorado

Typical, I can't sleep before a fun trip. It's like Christmas felt when I was a kid.

Our plans took a big turn. No Colorado trip it seems this summer. However we will make the beyond epic ride in Arkansas on labor day weekend.

We may push our luck and try Colorado either in late sept to mid oct...I just dont wanna get shot by a hunter thinking im an elk....

Trip done. A lot of adjustments on the "CDR" . Lots of rain but lots of riding:rider:

I will dig out some pictures from our ride, but basically we rode from Seattle to Eureka (Montana) without any issues (Mainly road), then we started to ride south for a few days before one CRF450X threw a con rod. We rented a U-haul truck and drove from southern Montana to Seattle, changed the bike for a spare and drove back to southern Montana to continue the ride (We lost 48 hours and got a lot of back ache from having spent so long in a U-haul truck!!), we then continued down in to Idaho, Wyoming, then Colorado and finally New Mexico. We had a few minor spills and one broken thumb (Splinted and continued riding). We saw loads of wild life and some amazing views. I hated New Mexico, it was all sand, dust and desert!! Colorado was high and cold but the trails were in great condition and easy to ride, we crossed 3 passes (Marshall pass 10,600 feet, another pass from Breckenridge to Grant (11,500 feet) and a 3rd pass where we where more than 12,000 feet in the air!! All 3 bikes ran great but the 250 was noticeably down on power due to the thin atmosphere!). We had a 50/50 mix of camping and Motels and it worked out well, the rangers that we met where all very nice and friendly and added to the experience. Can't wait to ride it again in 2 years with my daughter.. Pictures will follow, but sad that we missed Sam and the team!! Maybe next time.. I fitted a Maxxis rear tyre to my bike (I was given it when I bought the bike a few years ago), it went from brand new to completely bald in less than 3000 miles!! It worked well on loose rock, sand and dirt, but it is very soft, the other bikes ran D606's and where less than half worn at the end of the trip!!

Gary

Back