• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET500; Oct 10,11,12; Livingston start

So, did you guys all ride through the burned out area? That was probably my favorite area of the whole trip.

No when we got to the burned out spot there was some deer hunters in a polaris ranger in the area so, I just lead our small group around.

Friday

Cool and perfect weather for riding into East Texas. :sun:

JQueen finished the rider’s brief when I heard “Hey, were going to break off a fast group of small bikes if anybody wants to join us.” I wasn't sure where a KLR fits in the smallish category but what the heck. :ponder:

Eh, sure, why not. :rider:

Now, I’d ridden with Beemin a time or two before and knew he could ride and would be a great part of the group. Joe and bwdmax were the two unknowns for me but that’s OK. I enjoy riding with new folks. Just four of us - good. We hooked up and these guys were ready to roll – right then. So we did. :pirate:

The route immediately goes under Hwy 59 and then you hang a left into the woods.

Some rain had come through earlier and the sand was perfect. We found a few softer spots and even a little dust every now and again but truly Goldilocks conditions for the ET500. Beemin and bwdmax switched off leading the route with Joe in tow and me dragging up the rear – as usual. We cruised along for a while exploring what we could get away with in the traction department and getting a feel for our loaded bikes. Then, it was ON. These fellers came to ride motorcycles. :thumb:

No stops for sniffing flowers here. Dang few stops at all. Gas and lunch at the Stump and roll on. Seemed like we were following light showers all day that kept the dirt in prime condition. I accused the crew of paying the preacher or just plain living a charmed life. Excellent spirited riding. East Texas is green and beautiful this year. Almost looks like spring except for the slightest fall yellowing of Sweet Gum leaves.

We rolled into Beans at Toledo Bend mid-afternoon. Mr. Bean was expecting us and already had a tub of cool drinks ready to go. :chug: We planned to go check out the situation with Nine Mile road after dropping bags and getting camp situated but the rains finally caught up with us about the time we were ready. A little time in the tent stretched out listening to the slow patter on the roof was a welcome rest. :sleep:

The other groups - both north and south eventually came blazing in and all was well. Stories of folks who’d bent some hand guards, taken soil samples and found slick spots were swapped. :flip: Seems while we’d been running between showers all day others had spent some time under them - and dealing with mud. :storm: Moto repairs were going on in all directions. :doh:

Folks discovered the ET500 can be challenging even with suitable equipment. Some had wisely chosen to ride another day. All good. :rider:

What I’d discovered was our little group were four chaps who, just as diverse as the four points on a compass, shared a passion for riding and enjoying each other’s company along the way. These guys were a hoot and we were going to have a ride to remember. :dude:

Reading this now, I'm glad this went off without a hitch after our miserable failure in 2013. Hopefully 2020 will be a better year for me, I'm looking forward to riding this loop again, I might even Ironman it in one day. Hahaha We'll see.

Back