• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Slow speed handling issue.

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. I have a 1998 1200S with new Avon Storm 2s, new 465 shock, Holeshot links, Progressive front springs, 12 1/2 weight oil and all bearings seem in order. 18k miles and I put on 4k. The bike has always had low speed straight line vagueness or wanting to lean left or right. It is fine above about 50mph up to my limit of 90. I can change it in some degree by lowering the rear but then my header smacks things. I'm a big guy so need the clearance. My Buell or BMW GS were never like this. Almost a twitchy feeling.

Any ideas to try or is this the nature of the beast?

is it a sportster, or bandit or what?

if it has dual shocks, try putting fresh bushings in. my 07 honda sabre 1100 did a bit of a weave too and after the change out (they were smooshed) it was no more.

now for the low speed weave in my 07 bandit ....new shock.

1200 bandit with new Progressive 465 shock. I had a 97 xl1200s and it was awesome handling after fully adjustable shocks and forks were dialed in.

This issues as like too quick turn in. Pushed hard or at speed seems fine. But slow and easy is almost squirrelly.

our bandit has a slow speed slight weave. we loosened the steering head a bit which helped-a bit, but not completely. it doesn't dive, tho. maybe the steering head it too loose.?.

we are looking into an oelins (sp?) shock at some point. hoping that will solve it.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the front steering angle is steep. Has the bike been raised in the rear, and/or lowered in the front? Perhaps the preload is too high in back and too low in front? Just a wild guess.

Check to make sure the front tire is installed exactly according to the manufacturers directions. On mine (definitely a different bike), installing the front improperly leads to all kinds of weird handling issues. May not be your problem, but it's an easy (and free) thing to check. If it solves it, then you're even better off and more eddumacated...

Back