• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

gas on my air filter??

Reaction score
So I checked my air filter today because the bike still runs like garbage ... I've ordered new plugs and my BIL and I are planning to take the carbs off next week ...

Anyways ad the picture shows ... the little spacer there is wet and crumbling apart ... and smells if gasoline ... kinda sooty too... this is bad huh? !

Attachments

• 20151111_093245.jpg
    20151111_093245.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 163
Things that have happened to my air filter:

1. I overfilled the crankcase when I changed the oil and the excess blew into the air box soaking the filter. The decrease in air flow caused it to run rich.

2. The float stuck in the carb causing fuel to run into the cylinder, past the rings and into the crankcase which overfilled recreating the condition in #1. It smelled like gas.

3. The choke stuck "on" creating a rich condition that made the air filter smell like gas.

Yea, check your oil it may now be gas.
Gas don't lubricate

Could be! ... so if I check the oil and there's gas in it... where do I go from there? I'm not a mechanic by any means ... so I'm still learning

Could be! ... so if I check the oil and there's gas in it... where do I go from there? I'm not a mechanic by any means ... so I'm still learning

Might be floats sticking in the carbs if there is gas in the oil. The oil will be thin,runny,and of course smell of fuel.

Carb rebuild/cleaning and a new petcock would be where I'd start. I replaced OEM petcocks with Pingel types. You can of course rebuild the current petcock and replace the vacuum lines if applicable.

Which would be no good ...cuz the petcock is brand new ...carbs were jetted, oil changed and tank flushed right before I bought it :doh:

My money is on the need for a carb rebuild. New jets, o-rings, needles and seats. Maybe a new diaphragm.

If oil smells like gas it will need to be changed pronto! Severe damage will result from running it.

My opinion is stuck float and faulty vacuum petcock. I think both have to happen to get gas into breather, causing a no start due to flooding / over rich condition. Does not necessarily have to have gas in oil to get in breather, but very likely. I have had this happen on DR650. Twice. Fuel flows past faulty petcock and float allows it to flow into carb throat and to filter and or engine. Gas was standing about an inch deep in the Intake boot. I changed oil both times just for peace of mind. I also replaced vacuum with a manual petcock and try to remember to turn it off everytime I get off the bike. Don't know anything about your bike, just my experience.

Pulled the carb today and cracked it open ... and sure enough! Float bowl was full of a bunch of fine sand or something of the sort ... the Jets were all completely plugged too ... a good cleaning and the bikes running the best it has since I bought it!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Which would be no good ...cuz the petcock is brand new ...carbs were jetted, oil changed and tank flushed right before I bought it :doh:

Improperly jetted & running real rich may be a culprit of the gassy air filter as well

Back