• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED signals from standard

busric

Reaction score
SOOOO, I bought a set of rear LED BLINKERS for my KLX250. I am wondering about the wiring. Will I need diodes for each or can I just attach them and wire them to the stock wiring? These are flush mounts. I am tired of fixing the long stock blinkers after riding single track trails. Advice appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

you wont need diodes, you will need resistors or a switch to a LED flasher module.

you wont need diodes, you will need resistors or a switch to a LED flasher module.

Thanks, I knew I had the wrong term. I'll go visit the electronics supply store. They will have what I need.

I have LED flashers front and back on my ZRX and just used a LED (adjustable) flasher from Autozone.

I have LED flashers front and back on my ZRX and just used a LED (adjustable) flasher from Autozone.

So if I install LED bulbs in my from signal housings along with the rear signals for the rear, I can swap out the flasher and all will be well. That's what your saying here? Sounds good to me.

correct, it varies with different bikes, many late model Suzuki's use a multi purpose all in one module that has to be changed. my ZRX uses a generic two wire flasher and the LED specific one I used has a third wire coming from it that is a ground wire that I just ran to a screw in the frame.
it has a variable resister that can be adjusted to change the flash rate.
\
other bikes use different flashers and many have direct plug in modules available for using LED flashers or there are also wire in modules available.

here is one from 12oclock labs fixed rate flasher

correct, it varies with different bikes, many late model Suzuki's use a multi purpose all in one module that has to be changed. my ZRX uses a generic two wire flasher and the LED specific one I used has a third wire coming from it that is a ground wire that I just ran to a screw in the frame. it has a variable resister that can be adjusted to change the flash rate. \ other bikes use different flashers and many have direct plug in modules available for using LED flashers or there are also wire in modules available. here is one from 12oclock labs fixed rate flasher

It appears the fixed rate flasher is why will work.

Found them on Amazon.

Attachments

• image-4132293435.jpg
    image-4132293435.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 192
They are an inch long. Can't get a relay until Tuesday when Kaw shop is open, if they have one!

I installed LED turn signal lights on my 09 KLX about three years ago. No relay, stock flasher, no problems. Try it.

If you leave the fronts as incandescents, you'll probably be fine, but the blink rate will change a little. Going full LED doesn't draw enough current to blink at all (without a resistor or an electronic flasher), but running one incandescent and one LED on each side will still blink on all the stuff I've tried it on..

That sounds like a plan. I'll try leaving front stock and just go with LED on rear. Sure save some $$ that way. Hope to find time this afternoon to get them installed.

Seriously appreciate all the advice.

12oclocklabs was the answer! I'll get pix and other info later as I'm out of the house working. Plugged in and works great!

Thanks for the info!

12oclocklabs was the answer! I'll get pix and other info later as I'm out of the house working. Plugged in and works great! Thanks for the info! Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You're welcome!

I installed LED turn signal lights on my 09 KLX about three years ago. No relay, stock flasher, no problems. Try it.

More than likely the resistors were built into the LED units. Some come like that. You can get a no load flasher module that doesn't care what the load is it will flash at the same rate.

Once you get into using resistors and what not it negates the biggest point of going to LEDs (for me anyway) and that's cutting back on electrical power consumption.

I just swap out the flasher for a digital one, then you can change turn signals all day long and never have to worry about it anymore. Most are plug and play. I swapped the one in my ZRX right after I bought it, and I have 3 more on the shelf for current project bikes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycles-LED-Light-Turn-Flasher-Relay-Signal-Rate-Control-Blinkrelais-/191710725990?hash=item2ca2d98766:g:fRQAAOSwwbdWG18C&vxp=mtr

That's how this one works

More than likely the resistors were built into the LED units. Some come like that. You can get a no load flasher module that doesn't care what the load is it will flash at the same rate.

Once you get into using resistors and what not it negates the biggest point of going to LEDs (for me anyway) and that's cutting back on electrical power consumption.

the problem with reducing power consumption on a motorcycle is most use a AC generator that produces full output all the time and excess power not needed for charging or running is shunted to ground through the regulator.
when you reduce power consumption the heat load on the regulator goes up.

^^Correct. But most bikes are running at their limit already anyway. The STROM for example has very little left over capacity. And there are work arounds on the market now that help with this issue.

the problem with reducing power consumption on a motorcycle is most use a AC generator that produces full output all the time and excess power not needed for charging or running is shunted to ground through the regulator.
when you reduce power consumption the heat load on the regulator goes up.

This shouldn't be any issue at all since the blinkers are not on long to begin with. On the KLX only the tail and headlamp are on constant. So, using the signals are just a plus in adding to the power consumption.

Thanks, I knew I had the wrong term. I'll go visit the electronics supply store. They will have what I need.

*stupid "sent from my whatsit using some stupid something" deleted. That stuff is easily done away with, even for a Luddite.*

Truck accessories supply store - an electronics shop will sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need and will likely cost you more yenom.

Edit: If you want to go full LED, the module you want is available from Kuryakin - look at their "Panacea" taillight listings.

Last edited:
^^Correct. But most bikes are running at their limit already anyway. The STROM for example has very little left over capacity. And there are work arounds on the market now that help with this issue.

Well, one might think so but in digging into the specs while prepping the 500EXC for 'nannerman's run at the Baja500, I found that there was plenty to spare from the dinky little 200W alternator for Frog-fryer BD lighting (granted, not incandescent and not cheap) and 3 outlets up front, with headroom to spare, and another at the rear for whatever.

Merry Chrissy and a 'Appy Noo Jeer to all y'all Californicationators - See y'all in March or April, depending on who's where at the time (*cue Abbott and Costello here*)!
D

Back