• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M/C Gear: What have you found in unexpected places?

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
I thought this would be a neat idea for a thread. I find that sometimes I run across good gear and accessories in places like Walmart, Target, sporting goods stores, etc. Some examples:

Target:
  • Extra Large motorcycle cover - fits my R1200 GS $24.95
  • Slime 12v tire pump - $19.99

Walmart:
  • Bungees, cargo nets, etc.
  • tie-down straps
  • Motorcycle helmets - cheap DOT approved. Would be great to have around as a spare

Anyone else find good stuff for motorcycling at your everyday stores? Post up and let us know! Thanks.

I found the gloves I ride in at TSC. They have deer skin palms and fingers and have some "anti-vibration" pads stitched into the palms. The back of the hands are fabric, and breathe really, really well. Cost about $20 a pair, iirc.

Some walmarts carry tank bags too... I want to say for around 35 or so =)

I found a handy Kryptonite combination cable lock at Home Depot. It's long enough to go through the sleeve of my jacket and my helmet. It coils up and fits nicely in my luggage. It can be set to any 4-digit number, so you can pick something that's still easy to remember after not using it for a while.

years ago I acquired a set of winter ski gloves at Academy. I believe i paid approx. 30-40 bucks for them at the time. They still look like new, are decent in moisture wicking ability, and with a thinsulate liner glove they are warm :rider:

Academy: ski pants w/suspender $30-40

TSC: ramps for loading pickups, tie downs, etc

then I go to Jim's Hog shop in Axtell since everything is low priced, who would have thought they had helmets, unexpected indeed

Some walmarts carry tank bags too... I want to say for around 35 or so =)

Yeppers...I got my Bell tankbag at wally world for 29 plus tax, Perfit size for the KLR...also have the AVT seat cover/butt saver

Pep Boys: ATV panniers and tank bag that work perfectly on my XR. Less than $30 for the set, too.

Walmart:

MC/ATV section:

Bell tank bag;
Champion Spray Grease chain lube;
Bell helmets;
Bell googles;
Stearns ATV seat pads;

Auto section:

Fat Strap bungies;

Sporting Goods section:

wool thermal socks;
Rocky polyester long underwear;

Men's section;

knit acrylic glove liners.

PetsMart

I needed some very small nylon straps with plactic "snap" type buckles. I found what I needed at Petsmart. Tiny dog collars.... worked and was $$$ friendly.:trust:

Surprisingly, we found a pair of Joe Rocket pants at the big Goodwill in Austin. I think they were like $15. No tears, zippers in good shape.

I've been dropping in there on a regular basis to see what might turn up.

Tuesday Morning on Braeswood in Houston had Helmets for about $35. They randomly have motorcycle gear for really good prices.

Shopgoowill.com occassionaly has some good stuff, I cruise the local pawnshops from time to time but you have to reverse shop in the Pawnshops, Buy summer gear in the winter winter gear in the summer. Seems that the first thing to get pawned every spring is leather motorcycle jackets, if you wait till fall prices go up and jackets disapear.
Also if you want PLASTIC windshield screws and nuts got to Ace hardware they are dirt cheap white nylon they work great in most apps! They are also starting to stock metric allen heads to some degree.
SRAD

Also if you want PLASTIC windshield screws and nuts got to Ace hardware they are dirt cheap white nylon they work great in most apps! They are also starting to stock metric allen heads to some degree.
SRAD

Home Depot and Lowe's tend to have a moderately decent selection of metric allen head hardware as well. The best place I've found for these is Elliot's Hardware over in Plano. They seem to have just about everything.

I did have to go to my R/C hobby shop to get a couple of screws to go in the carb on my friends NX650. No one else had the dang thing in an allen head except there. :mrgreen:

Ace Hardware:

stainless metric allenheads.

Tractor Supply is where I found the tank pannier for my small XR.... it was in the equine section. It's a pommel bag so the saddle horn hole fits right over the gas cap and the D rings allow for a bungee to pass under the front of the tank to stabilize it. The ATV bags were way too large for the tiny tank on the XR, they hung down to the header.

img023.jpg

Back