• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any areas in big bend that we are allowed to ride that are more technical and hard? ....

Unless you get permission to ride private land it is all doubletrack. But the stuff you could do on a 300 on private land.....omg!

2 weeks out is a great time to reiterate that most land is private and pristine and like the residents who arrived for the peace and quiet, we love that aspect of BB too. Stay on established roads. Around houses and people decrease speeds and minimize dust. Don't leave anything behind, even tire tracks are pollution.

Especially true if you decide, and have an owner's permission, to venture into Terlingua Ranch. Although that is my favorite area to ride, you must be an invited guest. With maybe 20 riders going or friends of the trip who are owners ask around you can find one to show you to their house and back.

Last edited:
To be a bit more pointed on the subject: Destroying private property by riding on subjects you to civil lawsuit, criminal prosecution, and threatens the balance of riders vs nonriders in the area, aka, it threatens the continuing viability of Uncle's Around the Bend.

Terlingua Ranch owners are vocal, write letters, and call sheriffs and JP's.

Please be respectful! To be sure, at least 5 people who hate us are reading this thread and printing it anticipating bad behavior. But that's okay, a whole town of awesome people are welcoming us again for the 25th or 30th (ish) year.

Last edited:
Are there any areas in big bend that we are allowed to ride that are more technical and hard?

Big Bend Ranch State Park has the most technical riding in the area - if your bike is street legal. A number of the roads in the state park are more difficult than anything in the national park but those roads in the state park are public roads and require your vehicle to be street legal.

There is also some challenging stuff across the border in Mexico...but you'll need a street legal bike to ride it too.

Are there any areas in big bend that we are allowed to ride that are more technical and hard? I rode all of the tracks from the old rally last year on my 800gs.
I’m coming these year on a tiger 800, but if there is some hard stuff, I would bring my Husqvarna 300. It’s a two stroke with low gearing, so it would suck on those open dirt roads...

Hi Goyko, as TrailBoss posted above, the Big Bend Ranch State Park has the most challenging roads in the area. Take your 300 to Big Bend Ranch State Park if it is street legal. If not, take the 800 and enjoy enjoy the dual sport ride in the national park. Stay on the roads. Come join in at CTOR in Salado or City Park in Austin sometime and we can show you some challenging single track.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. The husky can be street legal. I’m just missing the blinkers. So I might plate it before the trip. But on the other hand I was really hoping I’m gonna ride to big bend and not trailer. So I’m still yet to decide. Thanks everybody for the input.

For what it is worth, when I bought my Husky 501, it was missing one blinker but I was able to get it inspected. The guy told me in Texas, blinkers are not a requirement. Not sure if that is just an inspection thing, or license requirement...

I have three dirt only bikes that I have legally tagged. Texas does not require blinkers. The law is that if the bike has turn signals they must work. the bike does not have to have turn signals to pass inspection.

So, I just got permission from my campsite to bring my dog with me, so one of my roommates will be coming along to help drive and to hound-sit during the day. Which means we'll have the option of a 4x4 support vehicle for any rides we go on.

If you are interested in the history of the big bend there are several great books out there - but a recent find for me (though it was published in the mid 70’s) that covers the period all the way from when the Spainards first came a knocking in the 16th century through the founding of the park is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0890967067/?tag=twowhetex-20

It is a fun read and will get you some flavor for the areas you will see throughout the region.

If you are interested in the history of the big bend there are several great books out there - but a recent find for me (though it was published in the mid 70’s) that covers the period all the way from when the Spainards first came a knocking in the 16th century through the founding of the park is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0890967067/?tag=twowhetex-20

It is a fun read and will get you some flavor for the areas you will see throughout the region.

Also, this ride report at ADVRider has lots of routes and history.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a-cannonride-around-the-bend-big-bend-region.769973/

Is there another thread for route planning for this event? If so, please let me know where, if not here it is...

I have a proposition to big dual sport riders:
Friday: Terlingua to Marfa, down south on Pinto Canyon Road and then head north on 170 from Ruidosa and hit 2017 back towards US90 a bit north of Valentine Then whatever...
Saturday: Terlingua to Presidio and cross into Mexico at Ojinaga and visit Peguis canyon and head back ***will need passports but no other docs*** Time permitting, go back into USA, enter the park from Terlingua and ride Maverick road to Santa Elena Canyon(decent dirt with some sand washes but nothing too difficult really)

Please let me know if you would consider these two rides

John, I know we're straying a long ways from Starbuck's, but a couple of us from Austin on BIG GS's have to make an annual pilgrimage through Pinto Canyon (I like it better south to north)...AND lunch at El Patio in Presidio. Saw your later post about Peguis Canyon...while it's a good ride up the mountainside, been there a couple of times so not a huge attraction for me.

Maybe we get our heads together on other destinations as well, like Old Ore Road, etc.

Last edited:
I think JT mentioned it already but those of you crossing into Mexico will have to have your Texas state registration because your license plate on that will be checked against the VIN on it as well.

This is becoming almost standard practice at most Mexico crossings.

When I rode from San Antonio to Guatemala a few weeks ago I went through the same process at Nuevo Laredo.

When I processed into Guatemala they wanted to see my state registration as well (same reason: numero de placa vs VIN on one piece of paper)

I am all ears, open to suggestions. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime to review options.

John, I know we're straying a long ways from Starbuck's, but a couple of us from Austin on BIG GS's have to make an annual pilgrimage through Pinto Canyon (I like it better south to north)...AND lunch at El Patio in Presidio. Saw your later post about Peguis Canyon...while it's a good ride up the mountainside, been there a couple of times so not a huge attraction for me.

Maybe we get our heads together on other destinations as well, like Old Ore Road, etc.

I had something come up and had to cancel my reservation at BB resort..
If anyone's interested..:giveup:

I am all ears, open to suggestions. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime to review options.

I think your Friday plan is pretty good...never tried the back road from Candelaria toward Valentine.

Last edited:
I am ready, heading out on the 21st will be riding the 22nd then back to Houston the 26th

With enough interest I am happy to lead another "Dos y Dos" ride same as I put on when I helped run the rally in 2015 and 2016. The idea was sub 200cc bikes and under 200 miles, hence "2 and 2". But, its open to any bike and rider, with 1st timers the emphasis.

We trailer in the A.M. to the east side of the park, a 55 minute drive. You can ride this if you're inclined. Unload at Rio Grande Village campsite. Make a 50 or so mile loop on River Road east to the Mariscal Mercury Mine, regroup, visit the rock pools at Ernst Tinajas, regroup, look over the overlook into Mexico at the Boquillas Canyon crossing, and end the afternoon with a soak in the hot springs on the Rio Grande.

This is a great ride for less adventurous riders who don't feel comfortable riding 200 mile days, folks on smaller bikes, bikes with limited fuel range (street legal 2 strokes?), and less miles if the weather is really cold. Total mileage is 85, with 2 opportunities to opt out or /and get gas at RGVillage.

Probably this will be a Friday ride. Any takers?

Peter

This looks fun and perfect for a big bend newbie like me. How much dirt is involved? Hopefully a fair amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally paid up! Sorry to be the laggard but I took a new job which is great but maxing out my time.

Time to ride! :rider:

If the creek don't rise I plan to be there & if folks are interested I'll do my usual "no one gets left behind" easy pace ride on Friday.

Or maybe Shadman & I should combine because the Dos Y Dos is starting to sound like the same concept?

Committed . Payment sent via PayPal to Richard.

Will bring the shades for the Chihuahuan Desert (and wont forget water) 8-)

chihuahuan.jpg

My last shout out to anyone in the Houston area looking to split gas and driving to BB. I have room for two more bikes/people if needed. Otherwise, see y'all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back